The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 09-21-2005, 05:49 PM   #1  
Uber-Moderator!!

Default Episode 1 - 13 September 2005

I thought it would be a good idea to have a new thread for each episode...
Old 09-22-2005, 10:30 AM   #2  
prepare for the BEST time

Paging Mrs. Jim..........

do you know if they will be re-airing episodes regularly? what day and station? I can't find any info......thanks!
Old 09-22-2005, 12:27 PM   #3  
Uber-Moderator!!

Hmmm good question!

They re-aired the premiere episode on Saturday.

Last year USA (I THINK it was USA anyway!) re-ran the episodes on the following Monday (the day before that weeks' new episode) at 7:00 pm (PST). I checked the schedule on Monday, though, and didn't see it listed.

Maybe they think we all have TiVo now and don't have to worry about reruns... bleagh.

I've noted the following differences between this season and last season (feel free to add more!)

1) Last year there were a few "lightweights" in the mix...this year everyone is what I would call obese to morbidly obese (lightest at 217 lbs I think?)

2) Instead of teams chosen at will, they're split up between men and women (red and blue, respectively).

3) Instead of going by pounds lost, the 'biggest loser team' for each episode is judged on percentage of weight loss

4) I'm not sure on this but this season, the team member who lost the most weight in the team that 'lost' the weigh-in is now left out of the elimination (pretty sure though, because I recall that last season Aaron lost the most weight the week he was eliminated).

5) Last year Jillian's team was Eat Less and Bob's was Eat More...this year they're counting calories (varied for male and female)

Feel free to add other diffs you might notice...
Old 09-22-2005, 12:52 PM   #4  
Empress/Queen

They are doing that immunity thing (leaving the biggest loser of the week in the team that lost out of the eliminations) this year as well; actually, I don't remember it from last season but guess they did it.

I think that as well as the Eat Less vs. Eat More diets, one was also focused on low carb and the other (not sure whether it was eat less or eat more ... how confusing) was higher in "good carbs" ... I'm not certain about that but believe Jillian's was the low carb. I notice this season no one is talking about carbs much, but as said elsewhere by some posters, they aren't really explaining what their diet strategies are other than eat less than you burn, which is pretty basic, I guess.

I'm still inspired by this show and added a spinning class to my Tuesday-Thursday line up in imitation of this bootcampy approach.
Old 09-22-2005, 01:03 PM   #5  
prepare for the BEST time

They're not talking about it because they want you to buy their books! Jillian has written a book and the BL book comes out next month.....Bob has written the Introduction. Bob and Jillian are professionals and I imagine their status has risen considerably from the exposure.

If anyone has Jillian's book, please review and tell me if it's worth adding to my collection, TIA...(HOW does she get those low-rise workout pants to stay up? funtack?)

Mrs. Jim, it iwas USA, this year they are re-running Vegas the next night....(pooh)!

LAST year, I specifically remember reading the"food diarys" of the teams and she had her group eating chitosan pills too.

Last year each person had a fridge filled with their favorite things, (I *hated* Lisa so much I refuse to eat mac & cheese to this day....heehee)..This year each contestant has a fridge and a "Goal Closet" with the clothes they want to fit in.

Last year there were a few scenes with the Kellies and Andrea showing how big their jeans were mid-point in the season.
Old 09-22-2005, 01:33 PM   #6  

The immunity thing is new. Didn;t ahve it last time, thank goodness. Otherwise, some people (namely Aaron - ugh!) would have been on the show longer.
Old 02-10-2006, 10:41 AM   #7  

I preferred first season, but did watch second and was given the book by husband (love it and him). This year they show all kinds of different things in one episode it seems (families against families and engaged couples). I also like FitClub on vh1 about "famous" celebrities with weight issues/challenges. These are my favorite kind of shows in addition to my 2 soap operas lol.
Old 02-17-2006, 11:12 PM   #8  
No Fat just Fluff

S/C/G: 280/278/150