Old 09-15-2005, 11:41 AM   #1  

Smile Sugar Grams - how much daily?

I just started a personal training session at a gym. (Lucky me, I won it from a sweepstakes I entered). My trainer is trying to help me with diet.

I was eating a lot of Kashi Bars and Bakers Breakfast Cookies in the morning before I leave work. They have about Kashi Bars 31 g. of sugar and the Breakfast Cookies have about 22 g. of sugar.

The trainer told me that is way to much sugar!!! What should l be looking for at breakfast time, I eat on the run alot because I have two different jobs and never know where I'll be at until morning.

Also how many sugar grams should you allow per day if you are dieting?

I would appreciate any and all replies. Thank you!!
Dee777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 12:35 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Well, if memory serves me right 31 gms of sugar is 124 calories. How does that fit in with what you're hoping to do ... calories wise. For some folks that would be a lot of carbs in one sitting.
I had a look at my fitday and my max carbs are 150 gms or 600 calories.
However, having said that. It'd be great to know more about you, what you're doing etc .... Post some more. Probably someone knowledgeable will have a better answer for you

Last edited by srmb60; 09-15-2005 at 12:38 PM.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 10:43 PM   #3  

Susan B thank you for answering me. What I'm trying to do is not eat so much stuff with sugar. The person helping me with my nutrition needs says that sugar turns to fat! (I'm trying to reduce my middle) She said that the Kashi bars 31 grams of sugar that I was eating the Bakers Breakfast Cookies 22 grams of sugar is way to much for someone who is trying to lose 40 pounds! I am suppose to choose things with less sugar, so how do you know what amount of sugar grams per item (ex. granola bar, cereal, breads, etc.) or per day are you suppose to aim for if you are trying to lose weight. Does this sound complicated. I hope not!! Because it's getting a lot more for me to comprehend. So once I learn what I'm doing. I have to learn what I should be choosing to eat.
Dee777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 09:28 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Oh dear, let me think. As a rule, calorie counters keep track of carbs in general and then just read and learn what is a sugary one and what are the good wholesome ones. There's more to it than just good or bad but you can split them like that for easy thinking.
You're very right to read the labels on the foods you're eating.
Read a bunch in the Calorie Counters forum and in the Ladies Who Lift.
If you'd like, we can help you set up a fitday.com account (it's free). Lots of us have learned a ton about the content of the foods we eat by entering them there.
Don't be a stranger Dee ... post lots. We'll help you.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 01:18 PM   #5  

I just went to fitday.com and they say your fat calories (9 calories per fat gram) shouldnt exceed 30% of your daily calories. I eat 1500 cals/day. so 30% is 450 fat calories, divide by 9 and that is 50 fat grams per day. You definately don't want to eat em all up in just a breakfast sitting! Good Luck!
tampagirlcmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 01:42 PM   #6  
Mel

When I first started losing weight, I followed the SugarBusters diet. Obviously, given the name, sugar is low on the totem pole of acceptable foods. I still loosely base my eating on it to maintain my weight, but have upped the protein ratios and the number of time I eat per day to take into account my heavy weight training.

On SugarBusters, I looked for products that had no more that 4 grams of sugar. Carbs could be higher as long as they were complex, unprocessed...but not SUGAR. It made grocery shopping a challenge at first, but is a very effective way of eating both for weighloss and maintenance.
If you have questions about it, there is a whole SugarBusters Forum. It's really not a whole lot different from the Southbeach diet.

Best wishes,
Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 06:46 PM   #7  
soon to be goddess

S/C/G: 236/216/17?

Height: 5'7"

Holy Moly....!!!! Lets see, if the granola bar (kashi) was 31 grams of sugar, and 4 grams of sugar = 1 teaspoon. That would mean you are almost having 8 teaspoons of sugar at one time. YIKES!!! I don't know the answer to your question, but IMO that is too much sugar. Its amazing how much label reading enlightens you. I started doing this quite awhile back when my boys saw a new cereal, it had 16 grams of sugar and I thought that was too much.
Good luck with your new trainer and program.
angel-eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 03:25 PM   #8  
it's always something

The World Health Organization recommends limiting added sugars to 10% of your daily calories. This does not include sugar that occurs naturally in fruits, dairy, etc. It's regarding added sugars (any sugars added during the preparation of food).

It was kind of funny, when the WHO released the guidelines, the sugar industry nearly had a cow and wanted it upped to 25% If I remember correctly, this was mainly based on the demands of the soft drink industry. That gives you a frightening look at how much of an impact soft drinks and processed foods have on our diets and health.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 07:51 PM   #9  

WOW Suzanne - that's just plain scarey!
susie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 02:37 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I don't know which kashi bars you eat, but I've tried the peanut butter, almond and honey, and trail mix bars. Are all about the same: only 5 grams of sugar, along with 4 grams of fiber, 5 grams of protein and 5 grams of fat.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote