Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 09-13-2005, 10:46 PM   #1  

Default "Outdoors" during cold months!

I was wonder if you all can tell me what you all wear "outdoors" for exercise during cold months? I do regular walking daily but havent had the chance to do any in the "winter" times. So Im just trying to get a head start for my shopping list.

Also I wanted to know if any of you tried a vinyl suit? If so does it work?
Jewelz76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 11:50 PM   #2  
Registered Usher

I wonder too. I live in a very rainy spot and if I wear raingear I sweat like crazy, but without it I'll be soaked and cold.

anyone?

babs
babetteq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 12:59 AM   #3  

Depends on how cold you are talking. I live in a climate that gets to -40 F so, layers is the trick. Check out Mountain Equipment Coop. They have great ideas on how to climatize yourself to the great outdoors. I can't imagine vinyl being great because it doesn't breathe but, I haven't tried it. Dress in layers, wear breathable fabric and dress for the climate in your area. Hope that helps! I love cross country skiing, ski-dooing, snow shoeing, skating and walking. You have to do something to get these cold months past us!
Jenaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 08:25 AM   #4  
Ilene the Bean

I prefer running in the cooler to colder weather of the winter time. This humidity and dampness along with the strong sun just gets to me... I wear layers too, wear the CoolMax stuff, also if you can get a ski jacket that is light and breathable. I got one last year for running that had zippers under the armpits to let air flow through when I got too hot, and 99% of the time the vents were kept open...I also wear wicking socks so that my feet don't sweat and just my running shoes, and I've never ever had cold feet and I've gone running in -20C weather....
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 01:38 PM   #5  
Working My Way Back Down

Ah, for me it's not the cold per se, but the dark and ice that keep me from exercising outdoors. I don't live in town, hence I have no sidewalks (assuming here that they would be kept clear of ice/snow ) but only snowbanks on the side of the road. And being in Alaska, we have darkness all the hours I'm not at work. Thank goodness for the gym! I do try to at least get outside when there is daylight, it's good for my overall well-being, and not feeling like I live in a cave.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 05:31 PM   #6  

I wont be walking on cement plain old ground lol. I kinda worry about my shoes getting soaked.
Our wind chill can be -0 or even below that during winter times.
Thanks on the tips of the places to check out. I will search those out and see if I can get some extra tips!
Irene~ I didnt know they had jackets with zippers in the armpits. Boy I must be stuck in the clouds somewhere. lol Thats a really need idea!
Old 09-14-2005, 05:32 PM   #7  
Running Babe

Say no to cotton for outdoor exercise in the winter! Layer a little, but if you have a good workout going you honestly don't need to wear tons and tons of clothes... Just be sure to bring an extra jacket if you're not going home immediately...

I can't wait until the heat and humidity and smog disappear!!

Cheers!

Ali
Sweater Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 07:10 PM   #8  

For vigorous walking or running in colder weather, a good idea is to dress so you're a little cold for the first 10 minutes or so. Otherwise you'll get so hot and sweaty you'll be miserable. Running stores sell glove liners that are good on cool days and easy to slip in a pocket when you get hot. For colder days, there are running mitts - thin windproof mitts you can wear over the liners or alone. They're good for xcountry skiing too. Your feet won't get cold or wet as long as you wear breathable socks, don't walk in slush or water, and maintain a good pace. Also very important: wear a hat or headband, especially if it's windy.

Happy trails!
carla49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 09:57 PM   #9  

Wow! Im glad I asked that because I didnt know they had such a thing (liners and mitts) lol.. Im just a beginner. We have a athletic shoe store in town so I will check it out!
Also, Ill try the hat. I live ontop a big hill so we get wind easy.
Sweatergirl~ The humidy today was pretty high but its dipping low into the evenings now.
Thanks girls
Old 09-14-2005, 11:14 PM   #10  

I live in north-central OK so our winter weather varies greatly. Layers usually work fine but for extremely cold weather, I found a pair of men's insulated hunting coveralls which worked great. They happened to have a cuff bottom so they weren't too long and they fit easily over how many layers I needed. I could do outside chores or walk in very cold temps. I bought them at a dollar type store which had lots of hunting and fishing supplies. I think I paid about $15 for them because at that time, I could wear a men's size medium quite easily over clothes. That pair of coveralls lasted for well over 10 years.
poohshunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 11:28 PM   #11  
Ilene the Bean

Carla -- I had those glove liners and lost one in a parking lot, I was so angry, I even went back in the spring to look for it, but it wasn't there of course ... I really loved them for driving too because the palm has something on it that prevents it from slipping...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 07:33 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Have you tried Under Armour? They have two kinds-one for exercising in warm/hot weather, and another kind for cool/cold weather-and the clothing articles are labeled, so if you have a wardrobe of them, you know what's what.

We wear it underneath some of our costumes/props (I am a costume and props maker so we often wear costume items and armor made from ABS and things) and have both kinds so we are prepared for events throughout the year.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 08:21 AM   #13  
5lbs fat vs 5 lbs muscle

Height: 5'6

Wow what a great thread this will be my first year running outside as well since I am litterally addicted to running outside now Great!!! I'd love to purchase one of those jackets and the gloves with the liners who knew?
MrsDawsondn is offline   Reply With Quote