South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 09-12-2005, 02:38 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 270/212/170

Height: 5'9

Default Has anyone tried the new quaker oatmeal

I saw it on tv last night....Quaker weight control--there are banana nut & cinnamon

Here are the nutritional facts (the only difference is 10mg more sodium for cinnamon)

calories 160
fat 3g
sodium 260
carbs 26g
fiber 6g
sugars 1g
protein 7g

Has anyone tried these before? I think I'm going to look for them this week when I go shopping again. Let me know what you think?
Old 09-12-2005, 03:22 PM   #2  

This is not going to be Old Fashioned Oats and will therefore have a higher glycemic index than the approved oatmeal. I also don't know what it is sweetened with. I use the old fashioned oats (5 minutes in the microwave on medium) and then add a mixture of Splenda and cinnamon and top with fresh fruit. Easy and good!
Old 09-12-2005, 08:24 PM   #3  
Who needs sleep?

I'm a huge fan of "McCann's Original Steel-Cut Irish Oatmeal," myself. It takes a long time to cook, but it can be cooked in a crockpot overnight or you can cook a really big batch for the week and reheat it each morning. I have a tiny 1 qt crockpot that I got specifically for cooking oatmeal in. It's just the perfect amount for us.
Old 09-13-2005, 07:52 AM   #4  
Helloooo? Treats, please!

I'd stay away from any types of flavored cereal myself. The "flavors" are most likely chemicals and are probably bad for you. Ever notice that a real bannana is sooo much better tasting than anything "bananna flavored"? Same with cherries, love the fresh fruit but hate "cherry flavored" anything. Plus, like Barb already mentioned, it's the quick cooking kind with a higher glycemic index. Stay away!

(sorry, I'm having a brain freeze on how to spell bananna)
Old 09-13-2005, 01:15 PM   #5  

how do you cook oatmeal in a crock pot? that sounds like some really good info. follow directions on the box, except cooking time?
Old 09-13-2005, 04:48 PM   #6  

I haven't had it yet but I intend to, even if it's not "allowed." The SBD-approved oatmeal is positively VILE. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.
Old 09-14-2005, 09:15 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

If you add flavorings to the "good" oatmeal, it can taste very good. Are you trying to eat it plain? Of course it's vile, it tastes healthy-who wants that? Not me.

I add spices, splenda, nuts, sugar-free flavorings, fruit-not all at the same time of course.

The longer cooking oatmeals have more texture. Since I started eating the old fashion oats and sco, I won't go back to the pre-packaged instant oatmeal, it's too gummy now.
Old 09-14-2005, 07:25 PM   #8  

I have a 14 year old daughter who doesn't eat much of anything-she's one of those skinny girls (boo, hiss, hiss)LOL. But since I've gotten rid of her usual stand-by's like Hot Cheetos and pop tarts (still allowed on occasion)she tried good old fashioned oatmeal and LOVES it. I bought a small container of it for me and when I went to finally have some, it was gone. I found out she'd been eating it everyday and she loves it!
My point is, if SHE eats it, I know any of us can grow to love it.
I'm with you guys. I'm staying away from most of the flavored stuff. I like putting my own real fruit on it. And it only takes a little time to cook it in the microwave.
Old 09-14-2005, 07:39 PM   #9  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Javajunkie, you'd be better off switching to another form of breakfast food than eating the instant oats. They are just going to set off cravings. Packaging them as "weight control" is just a major gimmick, honestly. They've added fiber (remember what Dr. A said about adding things back in...means they did something to take them out in the first place...) and such, but it'll still raise your blood sugar and make you crave.

If you try the old fashioned oats and add flavorings (SF syrup, other things that have been mentioned earlier in this thread), I think you'll find that it tastes much better than the processed instant stuff. If not, definitely look for other things, like dry cereal or perhaps a veggie omelet? There's also a thread in the FAQ with other breakfast suggestions.
Old 09-14-2005, 08:01 PM   #10  
Who needs sleep?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaJunkieDC
I haven't had it yet but I intend to, even if it's not "allowed." The SBD-approved oatmeal is positively VILE. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.
I don't know which kind you tried, but I guess it's just a matter of what you are used to, plus everyone has different tastes. I think the instant goop is vile, myself - like soggy cardboard. To me, there is just nothing in the world like a nice, steamy bowl of Irish oatmeal with a mug of black tea on a cold morning!
Old 09-15-2005, 06:14 PM   #11  

I tried the SBD approved oatmeal, and had a hard time with it. First, it took a while to make, and second, I couldn't get it to taste right. Our Wal-mart carries a low sugar version of the instant quaker oats which I use, and I haven't had any problems with it. Kind of off topic, I also couldn't do the natural PB so I get the Peter Pan low sugar and love it. I guess I am one who allows small allowances, but I feel that I don't overdue it or use them enought to make a big impact in my diet.
Old 09-15-2005, 09:33 PM   #12  
Who needs sleep?

ProudMother - sorry, didn't see your request until today. Here's the McCann's website, which has tips on preparing their oatmeal: http://www.mccanns.ie/pages/preparation.html. For the crockpot, just follow the "quick soak" method, only instead of boiling the water, stirring in the oatmeal, covering, soaking overnight, and cooking in the morning, just put it all into a crockpot and turn on low overnight. You might need to adjust the time a bit, depending on how long "overnight" is at your house.
Old 09-16-2005, 10:33 AM   #13  

that's cool-I didn't even know you could do that. I have a tiny crockpot that would be perfect for doing it in! I'm so excited now. When I cook it in the microwave, I have to stand there and make sure it doesn't boil over the sides. This way, it'll be done in the morning when we get up. I love learning all this new stuff. Thanks everyone for all your advice and hints.
Old 09-16-2005, 11:00 AM   #14  
Who needs sleep?

Forgot to mention - for a full batch, use a 2qt crockpot; if you have smaller than 2 qt do a half batch, or use a large (4 qt or larger) and do extra - and reheat the leftovers the next day. A full batch *might* fit in a 1 qt crockpot, but I'm not sure - I usually just make a half batch.
Old 10-04-2005, 07:49 AM   #15  

I bought this, (weight control oatmeal), because a here and there, I need a quicke breakfast. The cinnamon is great. I like it alot. There is no sugar and lots of fiber (I think 7 grams per serving). I don't think it would hurt used occasionally. If you want more info on ingredients, let me know and I will post.
Closed Thread