Closed Thread

Old 08-23-2005, 01:18 AM   #1  

Unhappy Weight Watchers vs LA Weight Loss

Hi,

I'm a Lifetimer who's fat again. Thought I'd like the "one on one" that the LA weight loss program offered and price seemed right.

I've been on their program for 3 weeks now and find it so,so boring partly because of some food restricitions that I have.

I really liked the W.W. points program and am at a place now where I want to switch. Ha, this is all after I commited a lot of money to LA.

Soooo, this is me thinking out loud.... I go for my weigh ins with LA (like the acountabilty) and I follow the w.w. flex program and hang out here for everyones brilliant support and ideas.

Anyone foolish enough to do the same thing I have? How did you make it work for you?

With thanks,
Jan
Old 08-23-2005, 10:02 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 130/103/107

Height: 5'3"

I actually plan on joining Weight Watchers myself. I have been doing research of different diet programs for a while now ( especially different message forums for those particular diet programs) and I found it's not uncommon for people to switch programs. I have read of positive results from it. There is nothing wrong with switching or in your case, adjusting programs. As long as you are happy with it, go for it.
Old 08-23-2005, 10:19 AM   #3  

I did it a few years ago!!! Lol. I did WW for about a month and didn't see any weight loss the whole time. So I bought the Atkins book, read it, and followed that plan. The pounds started coming off! I kept going to WW meetings, weighing in and getting ideas. But I got tired of eating the Atkins way. So I stopped... and went back to the WW way of eating. The pounds slowly came back on.

I cannot do low carb diets anymore because I end up sick from them. I had much success on the SBD. But again, I can't do it due to the health problems I end up with from these low carb diets.

I tried WW again. I gained more weight again!! I tried the SBD again, gained more weight and ended up sicker then sick! Went to the doctor.... my metabolism is basically dead!! NO diet will work until I get my metabolism moving again!! But the doctor said... WW or something like that, NO low carbing ever again!!

I am currently reading Jorge Cruise The 3 Hour Diet. It is good and makes a lot of since so far!! I am going to try it once I read it all and know what I am doing lol. It really sounds like an excellent plan for me!!

Anyway, good luck on whatever plan everyone is doing!!
Old 08-24-2005, 01:47 PM   #4  
MRSKMS

S/C/G: 205

Height: 5'4"

The problem with switching between all these plans is it does a number on your metabolism!!!

WW is a program that tries to teach us how to make good choices, add some exercise into our lives and develope a way of eating that we can live with for the rest of our lives

IT IS NOT MEANT TO BE A DIET BUT A LIFESTYLE CHANGE.

I find for myself I lose better if I curb my carbs a bit but don't totally cut them out (I dont think that is healthy or will work longterm)

WW takes work and commitment. But it does work given time and effort.

I guess my biggest lesson in life as far as weight loss goes is that

THERE ARE NOT QUICK FIXES THAT WORK -

I found I just needed to realize that and get going on a program that is healthy,works, and although may take awhile the sooner I got going on it the sooner I would see results

That doesn't stop me from reading about some of the other plans but I usually am quick to find the flaws in those programs rather quickly now

Wishing you success
Cindy
Old 08-24-2005, 06:00 PM   #5  

Cindy,

I could not agree with you more about a these changes being lifestyles and not diets. However, you do have to agree that everyone is different and one plan won't work for everyone?

My doctor has even told me that. One person could have the best of success on one plan while some one else (following the plan to the "T" and doing everything corrrectly) has no luck with it at all. Everyone's bodies are totally different. And people with bad metabolisms already (such as myself) have a hard time with any and all plans!

Like you said.. it takes time and patients, however it also takes alot of trial and error to find that plan that actually works.

And I could not agree more that there are not any quick fixes in weight loss at all!!! It may work at the time, but in the long run your making that whole situation worse for yourself.

I just have to ask.... what plan are you following? Just out of curiousity.

I love to read about health, diets, fitness, weight loss etc. You can find a lot of good information out there... and yes.. some not so good too.

I am not trying to mit pick or anything. I just wanted to reply.
Old 08-24-2005, 06:57 PM   #6  
banned

amen cindy!
ww is one of the few healthy plans i agree with these days.(i also like BFL and even SBD minus phase 1)
Old 08-24-2005, 07:02 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreaphilip3
amen cindy!
ww is one of the few healthy plans i agree with these days.(i also like BFL and even SBD minus phase 1)
What is BFL?
Old 08-24-2005, 07:11 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 211/211/140

BFL is Body For Life. There are lots of threads on this site - basically 6 small healthy meals a day,if I recall the details it restricts carbs somewhat, and fruit, and lots of emphasis on weight training. The basic premise is to take a 12 week Challenge for fitness.

Lots of people at this site have had success with it.

there's a book by Bill Philips and the website is www.bodyforlife.com
HTH!
Old 08-24-2005, 07:14 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis__
BFL is Body For Life. There are lots of threads on this site - basically 6 small healthy meals a day,if I recall the details it restricts carbs somewhat, and fruit, and lots of emphasis on weight training. The basic premise is to take a 12 week Challenge for fitness.

Lots of people at this site have had success with it.

there's a book by Bill Philips and the website is www.bodyforlife.com
HTH!
Thanks! And duh me!! Lol. I just ordered and got Body For Life, Body For Life For Women, and Eating For Life in the mail the other day! I am in the middle of the 3 HD so I will start reading those soon.
Old 08-24-2005, 08:14 PM   #10  
banned

bfl doesnt restrict carbs....just emph. balanced portions
Old 08-24-2005, 08:16 PM   #11  

emph? Does that mean emphasize (sp?)? Balanced portions sounds like a good thing.
Old 08-25-2005, 10:29 AM   #12  
banned

sorry guys i guess i should explain something: i abbreviate when i can bc i have cp and its hard for me to type
Old 08-25-2005, 11:00 AM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreaphilip3
sorry guys i guess i should explain something: i abbreviate when i can bc i have cp and its hard for me to type
Totally understandable. I just need to use my brain lol.
Old 08-25-2005, 01:54 PM   #14  
MRSKMS

S/C/G: 205

I totally agree that no one plan works for each person. And I also agree that some of us have problems with our metabolisms.

However I think for most of us (myself included), the problems I was having with my metabolism were basically self induced

- not eating regular meals eg: eating next to nothing all day when I was busy and then eating a huge supper.

- not getting any exercise at all - I try to get regular exercise even if it is just 20 minutes

- just not eating the proper things - alot of fast foods, alot of carbs( I have to be careful with them)

- just plain fooling myself as to HOW I was ACTUALLY EATING

I think alot of us (myself included) spend alot of time and effort trying to find a "MAGIC SOLUTION" when if we would just buckle down to a well balanced program like WW that although not always quick enough for our likening works we would have better results in the long run

We just have to reach a point in our lives where we stop fooling ourselves and face the truth

Cindy
Old 08-25-2005, 08:49 PM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSKMS
I totally agree that no one plan works for each person. And I also agree that some of us have problems with our metabolisms.

However I think for most of us (myself included), the problems I was having with my metabolism were basically self induced

- not eating regular meals eg: eating next to nothing all day when I was busy and then eating a huge supper.

- not getting any exercise at all - I try to get regular exercise even if it is just 20 minutes

- just not eating the proper things - alot of fast foods, alot of carbs( I have to be careful with them)

- just plain fooling myself as to HOW I was ACTUALLY EATING

I think alot of us (myself included) spend alot of time and effort trying to find a "MAGIC SOLUTION" when if we would just buckle down to a well balanced program like WW that although not always quick enough for our likening works we would have better results in the long run

We just have to reach a point in our lives where we stop fooling ourselves and face the truth

Cindy
I do have to agree with what you mentioned above! And I also have to agree that WW is a very healthy way to lose weight for good. And I TOTALLY agree that there is NOT any magical solution at all! Though I admit... I wish there was!
Closed Thread