UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 08-15-2005, 02:48 PM   #1  

Default Slimming World

Hiya, I much prefer slimming world to WW, but the only thing that bothers me is that I can't work out syn values myself. I can't afford to buy the book right now, so I'm trying to guess syn values and its not working! With WW i could work out the points from the calories and saturated fat in a portion. Does anyone know how to work out syn values? I heard its roughly 1 syn per 20 cals, but what about fat, and what about accounting for the day you're doing...eg if you wanted mince on a green day? I'm so confused!

Any hints would be much appreciated!

Thanks
weightwatcherk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 05:40 PM   #2  

You really do need the books or go to a group to do it properly I think. Things like crisps that aren't free on any days are easy to work out with 1 syn per 20 cals but then it gets complicated.
veggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 07:02 PM   #3  
Gym'll fix it!!

Have you looked at the website? You can have 2ozs/57g of minced beef on a green day just take it as a "b" choice..you would only have to count it as syns if you've used up your "b" choices, then it would be 5 syns (thats from old literature though so I can't be certain I don't think it would have changed)
cat90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 10:02 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 300+/275/150

Height: 5'8"

If you are a member they give you a code each week which ,when used on their website, enables you to access a syns calculator. I've been doing it ages & if you stick to it(not like me!) you can eat & lose loads of weight.

regards,
sharon
voodoo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 12:50 PM   #5  

So true Sharon I ate loads and lost fast when I stuck to it!
Old 08-24-2005, 11:50 AM   #6  

Default Help!

Just wondering if anyone has access this week to the website? If so could you please let me know if co-op pasta and sauce macaroni cheese is free?
angelinlove2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 10:24 AM   #7  

Hi,
Just wondering how everyone is getting on with Slimming world? I gave up for a while, luckily i managed to maintain and not put on huge amounts of weight but i didnt really lose any either. Anyway im back on the diet and trying again to shift this finaly stone!!!i no its a bad time of yr to start but when is there ever a good time?
angelinlove2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 09:47 AM   #8  

I'm starting in two days New years res and all that.

I lost 4 stone ages ago but gained 2 back. 1 was because I'd lost too much but the other is a combination of laziness and takeaways and xmas excess so I'm going back to slimming world. I have a superold book though. Is it worth getting the new plan it looks quite different is it? Or should I stick with old faithful
impossible princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 10:26 AM   #9  

Stick with the old one I don't even understand the new one you just seem to be able to mix green and red days. You can probably get the new one (it is just a small booklet) cheap from ebay.
Old 12-30-2005, 10:29 AM   #10  

I have a really old one mine is about 2000 I think. I looked on ebay and I couldn't pick up the new one for less than a tenner which I think is a bit extortionate but I don't have time to join a club. Oh well guess I'll stick with my old one. I'm veggie so just do green days anyway.

Have been considering weight watchers but it looks alot more complicated.
Old 12-30-2005, 10:33 AM   #11  

I've sold ones on ebay for £21 and £10 this year. I think the main handbook is the same as ever.
Old 12-30-2005, 10:39 AM   #12  

Is weightwatchers more complicated? I like SW but find it very difficult to maintain once I've reached my target weight the weight kept dropping off until I was too skinny then I ate more to put a bit back on and now I'm getting fat again.