Old 08-12-2005, 11:06 AM   #1  
All That's Left of Me

Smile On Dependence

Okay gals, here I go getting sappy again. Last night I tried to log in when the server was down and after a few attempts I finally gave up. It was then that I realized how much I have come to rely on the help and support you guys give me. In my real (non-cyber) life I am pretty cut off from the rest of the world. It's pretty much just me, myself and Jobe day after day. Sounds depressing I'm sure, but I've never had a really hard time with it. You gals just keep me from turning into an anti-social hermit (hey you dang kids, get off my lawn ).

Also, while I am on my soapbox, I thought I could share some info with y'all. In the past few months I have accumulated links to lots of nutrition and exercise info that I use daily (well, except for the exercise part...when's the last time I exercised ). Now, just so you are aware, many of these links I found on my own, while some I got from this board. I just figured that since there are new people joining all the time, it wouldn't hurt to post/repost them. Really, check 'em out, they might be that little push you need to kinda tip the scale (in the right direction..hee hee).

www.hussman.org/fitness Excellent info/easy read. Straightforward talk.

www.thefitnesspartner.com This is the one that started it all for me. Read the articles!

www.exrx.net A wealth of information...about everything.

www.exrx.net/Nutrition/FoodExchanges.html I have this page of exrx bookmarked. It has a printable quick reference guide of super important nutritional info. This has helped me decide on proper portion sizes, and is probably the resource I use most frequently!

www.exrx.net/Nutrition/DietaryGuidelines.html Another must-have exrx find!

www.exrx.net/Nutrition/ProgressiveDiet.html Yet another!

www.thefatmanwalking.com A good no excuses source of motivation!

www.stumptuous.com/weights_index_revision.html Women and weights.

www.weight-training-guide.net

www.nutritiondata.com

www.mypyramid.gov

www.caloriesperhour.com Most of you know of this site already, but alas, someone may not...so here it is.

www.recipezaar.com The best source for recipe's on the web. Just take the nutritional info with a grain of salt, figuring it for yourself as you cook.

With much gratitude, and lots of hugs,

Amanda
amandaholly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 11:48 AM   #2  

Default Reply

Thanks for sharing your links, I'm going to check them out. I've been looking for some good sites.

Also, I can understand where you are coming from with needing to come and have the support here. Today the "journals" section is down and I'm ready to go crazy. I depend on that being there and reading about the other chicks on the site and posting my achievements and failures. That's why I'm checking out the forums today. I'm probably going to spend a lot of time in here, lol.

Have a great day.

~ Adrianna
Hopeful_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 12:34 PM   #3  
All That's Left of Me

Hope more people check them out. They have proven much more helpful to me than my bookcase full of dusty diet books. Really, I have spent hours upon hours reading and researching and so on. After having spent so much money on diet books, it sometimes surprises me that all of the info on these sites is free for the taking!

Amanda
Old 08-12-2005, 01:52 PM   #4  
Proud US Navy Wife

Amanda - I know what you mean! Being an internet addict anyway... I was devistated when I couldnt get in here last night! I needed you ladies... your my inspiration! *hugs*
FaeReverie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 02:41 PM   #5  
ZenLizzie

S/C/G: 250/250/150

Height: 5'4

Thanks for all the links!
I've found that even though I have support in my life, it is easier sometimes to talk to people who are AS interested in weight loss, working out, and having a healthy lifestyle because in person talking about it so much can seem kind of....obsessive, especially around people who aren't as interested.
Lots of times I've been motivated to go work out, or try a new vegetable because of this board.
WastedThermos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 07:04 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 198/150/140

Lizzie, I know what you mean about seeming obsessed. It's a lot easier to talk about these things here because everyone is in the same mindset. My boyfriend for example doesn't want to hear about the calorie counts in everything or the fact that I ran 6 miles one day. Love the support here! Thanks for the links Amanda.
lizzbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 01:34 AM   #7  
All That's Left of Me

No problem gals...hope you can use them. Lizzie, I totally agree with you and Liz. I am always driving my best friend nuts talking about calorie counts, exercise, vitamins and supplements...etc. We used to be eating buddies, going to all the fast foodjoints and naughty eating places on a regular basis, so I think it makes her self-conscious about her own eating/exercise habits. I think she tests me to see if I'm really commited...and she frequently has me pick up food for her that she knows I love, teasing me about how good it is. Change can be tough on any kind of relationship, but it doesn't get to me the way I think it gets to her!

Anyways, do any of you have any awesome weight-loss links? I was kinda hoping that if everyone pooled their information we could all gain a lot of useful knowledge. I guess I just figure that you can never learn enough in regards to exercise and nutrition.

As an added bonus here is a link to a neat "know thyself" website. In my HR classes we do a lot of research on "self-knowledge" type personality tests. Check this site out...thay have all kinds of accurate and interesting self-tests that you can take for free...without having to register or anything. Many of these tests are equal or identical to one's offered at a charge on other websites. Enjoy! www.similarminds.com/personality_tests.html

So c'mon gals...I know we're all diet guru's to some extent. What sites have you found helpful? Also, let me know what you think of the above link? Let me know after you try out at least one test...they're truly pretty accurate.

Your village insomniac,
Amanda