South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 08-03-2005, 04:59 PM   #1  
I will be-SEXY mom of 6!

Question Reduced Fat Mayo Question...

I made a cilantro mayo to spread on turkey and lettuce. GAG.... Regular mayo has less carbs than reduced fat mayo. The RF mayo has SUGAR in it. It is sweet! So sweet it kinda gags me. I don't know why this mayo is acceptable since it has sugar in it. Any ideas?
Old 08-03-2005, 05:02 PM   #2  
Kyemom

You need to eat regular mayo
Old 08-03-2005, 05:04 PM   #3  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Use real mayo but keep the amounts small. I guess they goofed.

Aside from that, welcome to The Beach. Be sure to check out the FAQ Section.
Old 08-03-2005, 05:08 PM   #4  

the SB guide book says not to use reduced fat may or miracle whip. use real mayo.
if you don't have a guide book, i recommend it. i take mine to the store with me.
Old 08-03-2005, 05:15 PM   #5  

thank god for real mayo!
Old 08-03-2005, 05:34 PM   #6  
I will be-SEXY mom of 6!

Then why then does my sb diet book reccomend it all through out the book? I don't get it! LOL
Old 08-03-2005, 06:20 PM   #7  
it's always something

There has been a small amount of confusion over the food list before, fatmomto6chicks

The good fats/good carbs guide shows regular mayo as being good, and light mayo as being limited. So you can have both, but you would choose the light less often.

Odd that they would choose the light for the cilantro mayo recipe in the book, then.
Old 08-03-2005, 07:04 PM   #8  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Well, the recipes were done by dieticians who may have a lite mayo mindset and may not have read the book thoroughly.
Old 08-03-2005, 07:07 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 211/211/140

Height: 5'4"

Agree with the lite mayo mindset theory.

I was horrified whenI read the ingredients list of my so called healthy Hellmanns extra light mayo.

I just stick to regular full fat mayo now - at least I understand what each of the ingredients is!
Old 08-03-2005, 09:02 PM   #10  
it's always something

Has anyone ever made fresh homemade mayonnaise? I've heard it's incredibly delicious. I used to be afraid of the idea, due to raw eggs, but apparently the risk of salmonella is tiny, especially if you wash the eggs before breaking them. Alton Brown did a show on homemade mayo once and he made it look so easy.
Old 08-03-2005, 09:31 PM   #11  
I will be-SEXY mom of 6!

Thanks ladies! May I know through thee Jar of gaggy light mayo in the trash? LOL I have never made mayo ... sounds interesting! I might have to try it, and if you do suzanne then let us know how it turns out.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:25 PM   #12  
going places

Home made fresh mayo is really easy to make and is definitely better than store bought; the only problem is that it has an extremely short shelf life vs. the store bought kind. I'll make a small batch every 3 or 4 days - with 5 guys in the house it goes pretty quick. I wouldn't recommend it if you tend to take a while emptying a jar of mayo, though.

If you want a longer lasting mayo you can replace the egg with soy as the emulsifier...it turns out just as yummy and lasts about 3-4 weeks in the fridge; it also takes away the risk of salmonella. I just use the egg yolks cuz they're cheaper and I always have them in the fridge. I'd post a recipe but i've been making it for years and I never measure anything...you can probably find a few recipes on the web, though
Old 08-03-2005, 10:31 PM   #13  

Val thanks for that info. I would like to try to make my own. Where have ya been girl?
Old 08-03-2005, 10:58 PM   #14  
going places

Kimberly - I've been here, silly

You're makin' me look bad with all that weight you've lost Man, I gotta get my @ss in gear.

I tend to post only if I'm stressing and have issues...geez, how selfish is that? I come and read all about y'all every day, though
Old 08-04-2005, 06:57 AM   #15  
Helloooo? Treats, please!

Homemade mayo is really easy. That's all we used to eat as kids since we lived abroad and regular mayo wasn't available. I remember making it as a child myself. Now I use soy mayo. It tastes like the light mayo but there's no sugar in it and less calories. I just can't bring myself to use regular mayo...I'd rather spend those fat calories on dessert. I don't even really use mayo often so I don't suppose it would be so bad, I guess I'm just in a habit of the soy stuff now.
Closed Thread