General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 07-16-2005, 08:54 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 197/159/140

Height: 5' 4"

Exclamation Level with me...Does it really matter?

Everyone out there knows that there is plethora of information out there on diets, nutrition and fitness. Some of it's bogus -- some of it's fact. But which is which?

This is my main question: Does it really matter when you eat and when you exercise?

I've read that you should eat before exercise. I've read that you shouldn't eat before exercise. I've read that you shouldn't eat right after exercise because you won't burn as many calories. I've heard just the opposite. I've even heard that right after exercise you're supposed to eat some carbs (like fruit) to level out (something?!?!) until you get around to fixing yourself a proper meal.

Who woulda thunk that eating healthy and exercising was such brain work, huh?

So, please...level with me. Does it really matter?
FrugalChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 09:17 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Honestly, I think a lot of it depends on what you are doing for exercise.

If you are a light exerciser, then I think it is fine to take a 1 or 2 mile walk first thing in the morning before you eat anything...but if you are doing a long powerwalk, and it is going to be a longer distance than that (like 3 miles + or something), and you are going at a pretty quick clip to where your heart rate is up and you sweat-you should probably have some fuel before you work out.

Also, if you are doing a light strength training routine like Pilates, or a routine using 2 or 3 pound hand weights you are probably fine not eating immediately before or immediately after a workout-but if you are a serious strength trainer who lifts heavier weights, and lifts to failure (where you fail each muscle group to the point of not being able to do another rep with proper form) then you should fuel a little before you workout, and a little afterwards. (It doesn't always have to be a big thing, but a lot of lifters will have half an energy bar, or a scoop of protein powder to support muscle growth, or something as fuel).

Also, whether you are doing strength or cardio exercise plays a part as well. I will have a bit of fuel right after a strength workout, but not immediately after cardio.

As far as WHEN you exercise...that is up the the individual. I exercise whenever I fit it in for the day. Sometimes this is in the am, other times it is in the afternoon or evening. The only thing I avoid is doing cardio (powerwalking/jogging/aerobics/biking) late in the evening, because I get a "cardio high" that lasts for a couple hours...and I would be unable to fall asleep if I did cardio say at 8pm.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 09:26 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 197/159/140

Height: 5' 4"

thanks for the info!
FrugalChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 12:51 PM   #4  
Uber-Moderator!!

Just speaking for myself - I always exercise first thing in the morning before eating a morsel and have yet to 'bonk'.

This is a pretty typical morning exercise session for me (this is actually what I did today):

Strength training/abs: 50 minutes
Elliptical machine: 20 minutes
Ran 2 miles on treadmill (21 minutes)
Arm pedaler (not sure what it's actually called but that's what I call it!): 7 minutes

On the days I work out in the evening (usually taking a Spinning, Yoga, or Pilates class) I will make sure not to eat for at least a couple hours prior to class time (general recommendations for both Yoga and Pilates is to not eat for 2-3 hours before practice).

I do eat pretty soon after working out though - in the morning it will be breakfast (oatmeal with an eggwhite omelet usually) and in the evening, generally a salad with sliced chicken.
MrsJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 12:26 PM   #5  

I am of the opinion that the only thing that really matters is what works for YOU.

Personally, what works for me has changed several times along the way. I've changed when/how I exercise and eat out of sheer boredom with my current routine, I've mixed things up to accomodate a changing schedule (my summer routine is very different from the one I have once the kids are in school), and sometimes I realize that what I'm doing just isn't working for me in one way or another and make adjustments for that reason.

I would guess that I've tried just about every combination out there and have found that I lose weight as long as I eat well, exercise often, and burn more calories than I consume. When I come across something that seems to really click for me I stick with it for as long as I can. Right now that means being at the gym by 5:00 am, working hard and eating a protein snack when I get home around 7:00 am, then having a regular breakfast after getting dressed around 9:00. Whether or not I eat dinner before I take any afternoon/night classes depends on what time the class starts and what time I'll get home. For instance, I don't like to eat a full meal close to class time because I don't like that "sloshing" feeling I get, but I don't like to eat a full meal right after a late class either because I don't feel good eating that heavily close to bedtime. So, I try and stay flexible and adjust my schedule accordingly.
lucky is offline   Reply With Quote