Old 07-08-2005, 12:22 AM   #1  
updownupdownupDOWN!!!

Default breakfast

Hello, I need breakfast ideas...

Normally I have cereal, but I've decided to put a stop to that - because of how high in calories it is and how addictive it is. I have a few ideas so far (muffin & fruit & milk/yoghurt, toast & Brie & fruit & milk, omelette w/ red peppers & milk), but I'm looking for more.

So, any ideas for a QUICK, EASY, healthy and nutritious breakfast? Milk and fruit are important ingredients/additions. I don't have much time in the morning and need to keep all noises to a minimum.
(btw - very picky with meat/deli/fish and generally hardly eat those)

Thanks in advance!
Sushi Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 02:00 AM   #2  

Hi Sushi Penguin

Well I was going to suggest a fruit smoothie, but then I saw the bit about the noise levels being kept down.

There are a few on the market now that are carton drinks. In Aust we have some called "up and go" which are supposed to have the same nutrients as wheat cereal and milk. I tried them and they are nice - do fill you up - but I seemed to get headaches from them. Go figure!

Perhaps you could prepare them the night before - just blend some milk, yogurt and fresh/frozen fruit and give it a shake up in the morning.

Alternatively, stick with the cereal, look for something with 3g fibre at least and no added sugar and cut some strawberries or banana or (my favorite) apricot halves directly on it and have it with yogurt.

Hope this helps.
Ange
ange200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 08:41 AM   #3  

oatmeal made with milk and some frozen berries cooked in

yogurt with museli layered with fruits, kind of a parfait thing

ww english muffin with neufchatel or laughing cow swiss cheese spread with egg (nice to do in microwave, about one min. since it will make a kind of like patty to fit on the muffin) with sliced strawberries on top....good to take on the go
yume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 08:56 AM   #4  

I have, 2 rice cakes, with LF peanut buuter, very filling and stay full to lunch. plus they are cheap, easy to make. And if you get the Carmel Rice cakes with chocolate chips (still ow cal, low fat). It tastes just liek a reese pieces bar
lizzy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 09:26 AM   #5  

I would definitely say oatmeal. You can make it with milk or water and have a glass of milk with it if it helps fill you up. And berries is great in it.. apples is my favorite. Apples and cinnamon together is like eating apple pie oatmeal I also like cut up melon or orange slices alongside it sometimes.

I make a "mock" mcmuffin sandwich sometimes that even my kids love. I take a small mug or lil glass dish and whip up 2 egg whites and then microwave it for a couple minutes. I put this on a low-cal english muffin or toast with a slice of tomato or a slice of fat free cheese melted on top or maybe a small piece of canadian bacon or ham. It's very filling and versatile.

You can make your own breakfast burritos. Scramble an egg with lots of veggies and spices and roll up in a pita or small tortilla. Also very versatile.

If you dont want to cook/microwave - If you like cottage cheese (many people dont) - I like having this with fruit immensely. I also like yogurt with crumbled granola/cereal or fruit. Sliced up apple w/ yogurt dip. Piece of string cheese and fruit or nuts.

Also remember - just cause its breakfast doesnt mean you cant have other things.. like a salad or a english muffin pizza or a sandwich.
teckeygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 09:39 AM   #6  
Going all the way!!!

S/C/G: 183/183/130

Height: 5'2"

Default Lean Pockets!

I just realized yesterday that Lean Pockets makes breakfast ones (these have probably been around for 100 yrs and I just noticed LOL) and tried it for the first time this morning--it only takes a minute to heat, you can eat it on the go (which is very important for me), only has 150 calories, and fills you up! The only ones I saw in my grocery store were the Bacon/Egg/Cheese and Sausage/Egg/Cheese varieties, but there may be meatless ones out there too. And let me tell you--it was DELISH! I expected it to taste bad cosidering it was low-cal, low-fat, etc. but it was extremely tastly! I have FINALLY found a breakfast food I can live with!!
TheNewChristy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 02:37 PM   #7  
Working My Way Back Down

This morning I had an egg salad sandwich for breakfast (lf mayo, "thin" ww bread) along with a glass of skim milk. When I was in high school, I often had a bowl of soup for breakfast. Also some of the meatless breakfast patties/links are very good, pair them with an egg white omlet and you're good to go, or use them in the mock mcmuffin above.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 06:29 PM   #8  
updownupdownupDOWN!!!

Thank you so much for the suggestions!

Apart from the need to keep noise down, I don't have a blender or a microwave, so a few of them won't work. However, I'll certainly try as many as I can!

Today I had a blueberry muffin, a cup of milk and a few strawberries - delicious. Sometimes it seems like cereal made me forget about all those other tasty things out there! And I'm really happy with the muffins - I got 6 for $2.50 (end of day sale, normally they would be about $6), and you couldn't tell they're day old!
Sushi Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 09:26 PM   #9  
it's always something

I buy day old baked goods, too. You can stick them in the freezer as soon as you buy them, and they will be just like fresh baked when you thaw them - especially if you have a microwave and can heat them for a second I freeze just about everything, lol, since I live alone, and don't need the temptation lying around.

My latest favorite breakfast is to take about 1/2 cup of berries, top with a half cup of nonfat, sugar free vanilla yogurt (dannon light n fit) and then stir in about 2 tablespoons of low fat granola. It's very good.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 10:17 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 270/235/TBD

Height: 5'4

My favorite breakfast is oatmeal. I mix a batch every weekend with brown sugar, raisins, chopped nuts, wheat germ, cinnamon and nutmeg. It is the recipe from the Betty Crocker cookbook with a few variations (like the wheat germ). All I do in the mornings in pour boiling water over 1/2 cup, which is 270 calories. This keeps me full longer than any other breakfast I have tried.
ElisabethCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 11:11 AM   #11  

I also say oatmeal. If you want to try it new, I love oat bran hot cereal. You can make it with milk and add your favorite stir-ins. High in fiber and keeps you full all morning.
jbbm is offline   Reply With Quote