Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-06-2005, 10:25 AM   #1  

Default I am so hungry... HELP!

Hi everyone. I am a newbie. Just joined here at the end of June. I started trying to lose weight on June 28, 05. I had my first weigh in day yesterday and I have lost 6 lbs.

Here is the problem: I AM SO HUNGRY! Over the last week I have just felt so hungry. And I don't know what I should do about it. I literally can hear my stomach growling.

For instance this morning I had 2 slices of toasted multi-grain bread with 2 small pats of butter. And I had 8 ounces of 2% milk. I felt like that was plenty when I ate it but soon after I felt like I wanted some more food. Of course, I resisted because I kept thinking about how I felt when I got on the scale and saw I lost 6 lbs.

It's only been about 3 hours since I had that and I am feeling so hungry still. So I grabbed 6 black cherries and ate them... and I still feel like I want to eat but I keep resisting the urge. I am so afraid that I am going to crack and eat something I shouldn't. Lunch is about 2 more hours away. And I don't know if it's that I am really hungry or that it's I am not used to eating so little food or what...

I was wondering if anyone knows anything I can do to help myself in situations like these ? I am supposed to be doing this diet called the 90/10 Weight Loss Plan but I haven't been shopping yet and honestly, I am not a big fan of the food plan. Should I just suck it up and eat what the book says even though I won't enjoy it ?

It's odd because I should be rejoicing knowing I lost 6 lbs but all I seem to feel is miserable because I just want to eat and feel full but I am scared to death because I might gain some weight...

I will be glad to hear any advice or comments..

Thanks all,
Lo
Lolita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 10:30 AM   #2  

I find eating eggs on my toast is a lot more filling. Protein is the more filling than fat or carbs and there are not many calories in eggs (depending on size 60-80 in an egg).
dilleight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 10:42 AM   #3  

Thanks dilleight. Maybe I will try to have some eggs with the toast then. Or maybe I could try to find some good omelet recipes.
Old 07-06-2005, 10:43 AM   #4  
Oddball

S/C/G: 185/157.4/135

The Volumetrics books by Barbara Rolls are very interesting on feeling full without so many calories. I've only started reading them, but they offer some pretty good ideas.
Betani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 10:52 AM   #5  
Haley

Don't stick with a diet if you don't like it! If you do that, chances are you won't stay on it for very long. Why not consider your healthy eating a lifestyle change? I'd suggest to start tracking your calories on fitday.com, just so you can see how much you are eating, maybe you aren't eating enough and that is why you're hungry. For breakfast, it may be a good idea to incorporate a piece of fruit if you're still hungry and there's nothing wrong with small snacks like cherries, just keep track of your calories to know where you stand.

Also, check out this thread it has a lot of great information on eating, etc: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60730
haleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 10:53 AM   #6  
geeky pagan chick

S/C/G: 265/136/150

Pick foods that are high in fiber and make sure to get enough protein. You'll stay fuller longer. When you're restricting calories, you want to make every one count. Also, I find that eating small meals every 3 hours or so works really well for me. You didn't say what your calorie intake is, but make sure it's not below 1200. Oh, and drink lots of water if you're not all ready.

That said, the first couple weeks are an adjustment period when it comes to resetting your appetite. It gets way easier once your body is used to smaller meals.
Tani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 11:00 AM   #7  
Alis Volat Propriis

I find that by not skimping on breakfast, that makes it easier for me throughout the day. A two-egg omelet with lots of peppers and a slice of wheat toast is a life-saver for me. Also, you should shoot for eating a little bit every 2-3 hours. An apple and an ounce of cheese is a great snack, as are any veggies, a small handful of nuts. A little protein makes a snack go a lot farther. Plus, water, water, water. Keep yourself hydrated and you'll feel less hungry, generally.

But there's also a lot to be said about habits. Today's society -- with its supersized portions and 24/7 availabiity to any kind of food whatsoever -- has us believing that being satisfied equates to being stuffed. We need to recondition ourselves to accept that healthful eating means stopping when we're no longer hungry rather than gorging ourselves until our stomachs hurt. That has been a big thing with me. I eat a reasonably sized, healthful meal and am no longer hungry. But I'll continue eating, feeling somehow cheated, until I can brealy breathe.

Eat your healthful meal and then concentrate on how you feel... ah, I'm not hungry, my stomach feels good, I can breath. No need to eat any more until I feel actual hunger again. Think about it this way, if you start eating when you aren't hungry, how can you stop eating when you're no longer hungry since you weren't hungry in the first place!

Identifying and responding properly to actual hunger is something we're all born with -- really, what happens when you try to feed a baby after he's decided he's had enough? Yup, he pukes it up all over you . But many of us learn to override that ability and then we condition ourselves to believe we need to eat even when we aren't hungry and then continue eating until we're stuffed. I think success in weight loss and maintenance depends greatly on getting back in touch with our natural-born instincts on feeding ourselves.
Quite-a-Handful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 11:01 AM   #8  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Have you been feeling hungry every day? Is the toast and milk a normal breakfast for you? If you have toast and milk every day and then lunch at the same time without feeling hungry and just randomly feel hungry today, I would say go ahead and have a filling snack (something with protein, as others have said--maybe a yogurt, hard-boiled egg, low-fat cheese--or even veggies that have fiber and few calories, so you can have quite a large serving of them, which may help, also). If you are feeling hungry like this every day, however, then I think you need a new plan. Your body tells you what it can and cannot handle, and if you are feeling hungry often, then it is just not a good plan for you.

You say you're "supposed to be doing" the 90/10 Plan--why? Is it something you chose randomly off a book shelf, or is it something your doctor suggested? Not all diets work for everyone. We are all used to having different things, and our bodies have adapted to our lifestyles and eating habits differently. Perhaps a friend of yours had success with the 90/10 Plan, but that doesn't mean it will be right for you. If it is something your doctor suggested, then perhaps go to your doctor and explain how hungry you are and that this clearly isn't something you can stick to without binging. A good doctor will suggest another plan that is maybe more flexible for you.

Also, I am unfamiliar with this plan, but it sounds pretty strict (based on your saying you might just "suck it up and eat what the book says"). Remember (and you will hear this hundreds of times if you stick around on these boards), this is a LIFESTYLE CHANGE, not just a diet. You have to learn to eat healthy for the rest of your life so once you have reached your goal, you don't gain back all of the weight. If this 90/10 plan is not one that you can stick to long-term, then even if you do reach your goal, you may have much more difficulty in maintaining. I'm by no means an expert, but it's something to think about.

Like I said, though, if it is just today and not every day that you feel this way, go ahead and "cave." Your body is telling you you are hungry for a reason. You should listen to it and feed it when hungry. I'm not saying get a quarter pounder with cheese and fries, but like I said, veggies or protein are always good snack options to help tide you over till your next meal. If this IS an every day thing, though, you should seriously consider a change in diet plan.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 11:07 AM   #9  

Oh wow.. what great advice and QUICK too. I just went upstairs and made a salad.. and I come back and all this advice. I just couldn't hold out until lunch time so I made a salad. I feel a little better.

Betani, I will take a look at the book. Thanks!

Haleys, Thank you very much for the link. I think you are right, fruit would be a good addition. It's just I felt like I should just have one thing and that's it. Having some toast and a piece of fruit is not a big deal. I think I just got crazy for a moment there. I am so desperate to lose weight!

Tani, thank you as well. My calorie intake is supposed to be 1600 but it's only been about 1000 except for yesterday. Yesterday, I had 3 full meals. I think I went a little over board in fact not for a normal person but for a dieter. I am starting to drink more water. I just got some and put in the fridge so it can get nice and cold. I like my water kinda frozen. Thanks for helping me realize about the adjustment period. I didn't really think of it. I think panic just set in.

Thanks,
Lo
Old 07-06-2005, 11:14 AM   #10  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

If you're TRULY hungry, then eat! Do NOT starve yourself. At the weight you have posted, I'm going to say that I personally don't think 2 slices of toast is adequate. Especially since you said it's been 3 hours and lunch is 2 more hours??? That's 2 pieces of toast in 5 hours! I say...Eat!

I eat about 5 or 6 times a day. And even after losing the weight, I STILL eat more than what you've eaten. I also eat more filling foods, like the others mentioned. I would have one or half a piece of toast, and add some egg and perhaps a piece of ham or bacon on the side. When I was over 200 lbs though, I would generally have a slice of toast, TWO eggs, and a couple slices of bacon and some tomato slices. I don't eat as much now, but I still try to vary breakfast and not just eat one thing. And if you're going to eat one thing, bread, even whole grain, isn't the thing you should turn to.

I generally have a snack about 2 to 3 hours after breakfast. Then I have lunch, then another snack, then dinner and possibly another small snack before bed. I had to learn that it's ok to snack all day. I eat less at each meal. Used to, I'd eat two meals a day and walk away from the table feeling like I was going to burst, then I'd pig out on candy or chips at times. Now I eat the right foods and I don't stuff myself to bursting capacity. But I eat...constantly. It's the realization that I'm eating what's good for me though and that I'm not gorging myself that let's me know that there's nothing wrong with it. And...it works. It's worked for so many people.

I've been on the diets where I starved myself. In my personal opinion, they're a setup for possible failure. I was always so hungry that I'd sometimes justify going overboard. And once the diet was over, I was so relieved to go back to eating that my eating habits had never changed and I just put all the weight back on...that's if I could even stay on the diet until I'd lost all I wanted to lose. Generally, I quit early...because I was just so danged hungry.

It's true that hunger can sometimes be all in our imagination. However, as I said, I personally believe that given your weight, and what you've eaten, your hunger is most likely real hunger and you shouldn't ignore it.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 11:25 AM   #11  

Lo You've gotten plenty of advice here. I am diabetic and one thing that I have learned is if you eat protein with your carbs your will not have that dramatic drop in energy level and want to eat. The protein will slow down the absorption of the carb. I eat 3 meals and 2 snacks a day. My meal plan is good for anyone. When your hungry drink water and eat filling things raw veggies are always good. Don't know exactly what plan you are on. But one thing that I have learned is to succeed the meal plan has to be something that you can live with forever..A total lifestyle change. I am not perfect I do not always make the best choices but I always remember that there will be plenty of chances to make the better choices in the future. One meal at a time one step at a time One day at a time. Cindi Don't forget exercise. It really is the KEY!
Flower Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 11:28 AM   #12  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Cup of Soup (80 calories) or make your own (broth or veggie). By sipping a hot cup of soup not only delights the taste buds it help curb the hungries and satisfys the brain (the smell). Can't hurt !!!

Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 11:40 AM   #13  

Almost Heaven,

Thanks for the great advice. I agree that I need to eat more and will do so. I think from now on I will have more than one thing to eat for breakfast and make sure I have mid day snacks like some fruit or veggies. I made myself a small salad and I feel much better now. I am sure that I was actually hungry because now I feel very satisfied. I wasn't trying to starve myself. I know that is not healthy. I was just thinking in terms of cutting back on eating so much and I believe I just went to far. But starving myself was not my thought process. I was wondering was there a specific program you followed to loose the weight or did you just eat healthier in general ?

Flower Power, Yes... I see the advice is plentiful. 3 meals a day and 2 snacks sound much better than what I was doing. Which was 2 or 3 small meals a day. I won't be making that mistake again. I don't even know how I survived the week doing that.. it all caught up to me today.. but we live, we learn.

I have things in perspective now. Thanks everyone for the advice.

Lo
Old 07-06-2005, 11:43 AM   #14  

Leenie,

Oh Yes! That sounds like a fantastic idea.. and I LOVE the taste of chicken broth too! I will definitely be trying that! Hmm I can taste it now.. some chicken broth with some veggies thrown in.. I think I will make that a part of my lunch tomorrow.

Thanks for the fab idea.

Lo
Old 07-06-2005, 11:54 AM   #15  

Quite-A-Handful: Thanks for the comments. I will keep them in mind.

JillyBean: No, my doctor didn't suggest the plan. I found the plan and it seemed like an easy plan for me to follow. It's basically eating 90 percent of the time healthy and 10 percent of the time Fun foods (junk food of your choice in a moderate portion). I was going to do the 1600 calorie a day plan. It has 3 plans which are : 1200 calorie, 1400 calorie, and 1600 calorie. I just ended up eating a lot less than I should have eaten. I think if I find way to eat 1600 calories but get the most out of them the 90/10 Plan should be okay. I will give it another week. If it's just not for me.. then I will look into other plans.

My usual breakfast is not just toast. I usually do have protein but since I had eaten a little more than what I thought I should have yesterday I decided to eat less today. Hence the toast for breakfast today... bad idea. A mistake I will not make again.

Thanks for your advice and comments. I appreciate them.

Lo

Last edited by Lolita; 07-06-2005 at 11:56 AM.