Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 06-22-2005, 05:48 PM   #1  

Default death of a loved one...

My dog died. I'm not sure how to cope with my feelings and still eat and excersize in a healthy way. Her name was Cookie and I got her when I was 6 years old. She lived for 15 years. Any suggestions?
AmberJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 09:49 PM   #2  
Curvy Vixen

write down how you feel and make sure you feel the loss. I'm so sorry.. I know I lost a pet in feb and I cried for weeks... time heals...
PURPLEPANSY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 09:43 AM   #3  
prepare for the BEST time

Cookie was with you a long time, I'm sure she was a great companion, loved you unconditionally and you gave her the best love and care......now she is in an even better place.

Eating unhealthy isn't going to change what happened or make you feel better.....but you should be kind to yourself in other ways when you are most vulnerable.

Losing pets is one of the saddest times for me too. People deal with grief in different ways, do what makes you the most comfortable....I had to wait over 18 months to replace my beloved Chow.....a friend had to get a puppy after his collie died the next week.

take care and remember the happy times.
marbleflys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 10:24 AM   #4  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Oh hon, I'm so sorry you lost your little friend
Ditto's to what the ladies have already said. Having a pet pass on is very hard, they aren't just pets, they are family, loyal friends. I know people who can't even go to work (me being one of them). Please know you are not alone.

One suggestion would be not to put yourself in a situation where you can easily spoil your efforts, meaning don't go to the grocery store and stand in front of the candy isle, or to a buffet. Try not to impulse shop. I know its hard, believe me.

Good luck !!!!
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 09:05 AM   #5  

Hey Amber,
I'm sure Cookie will be missed. When you feel sad try writing about it in your diary. that way you are doing something with your hands and you cannot hold food and also you can record your feelings about cookie or write her a note to leave at her grave site...or possibly make a scrapbook of GOOD memories of cookie or cookie and buster and you together. Hang in there honey. I know you can do it. Something that I've found works for me after I've had a big dissapointment or hurt is that I play music that uplift,angers, or moves me, and i run it out. This gives me exercise and I don't feel so helpless because I'm doing something physical, I can run it out and cry and I know that's ok, I've done that a lot with my parents divorce and the loss of my fathers love. It's on a par of having a good long cry, you feel better afterward.
zeanea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 12:16 AM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberJoy
My dog died. I'm not sure how to cope with my feelings and still eat and excersize in a healthy way. Her name was Cookie and I got her when I was 6 years old. She lived for 15 years. Any suggestions?
Hello AmberJoy,
I'm in the same situation as you. My beloved dog, Bear, died after nearly a year and half fight with cancer on May 20th. He was almost 8 years old. I picked him from a litter of 13 at a kennel when he was 3 weeks old. I took him home when he was 7.5 weeks old and he was my pal ever since. I trained him, walked him, and he was my special companion in return. It was very hard at first because he was always by my side when I typed and worked at home.

I found what really helped me was to write a memorial to him and list everything that I did with him, everything about him, all his quirks and personality, what I am going to miss about him, everything. I still add to this list every time I remember something. I also journal and write. Both have been great ways to express my emotions. Always remember that emotions come and go and grieving is a journey. You most likely wont be flooded with grief for days on end. Rather it will come in waves, ebbing and flowing.

And I'm on a list where I've been sharing about Bear's battle with cancer. That list is very supportive. This particular one is Leonberger based, that's the name of Bear's breed. There are lists online and email lists breed oriented or general.

I also kept up a routine-followed my nutrition and exercise program even more diligently for about a month because I knew I might be more susceptible to emotional eating. However the emotional eating never did materialize. The cardio helps with my sadness and anger over his death.
SOON2BE154 is offline   Reply With Quote