Veggie Challenged - What is your favorite way to sneak in vegetables?

Suzanne 3FC
06-05-2005, 11:09 AM
Since the old days of pretending zucchini bread was good for you are over (2 cups sugar and 1 cup oil lol) we have to find other ways of getting our veggies. Do you have any tips to share?

Diced onions, tomatoes, peppers, etc are good in omelets, so that's easy.

Salsa is made of just vegetables :)

I've recently discovered the virtues of zucchini. Small, baby zucchini are so tender and mild and go in anything. You can dice them up and add to salsa, put in a salad, or even on a sandwich. They are good on their own of course, grilled, roasted, or stuffed.

Leenie
06-05-2005, 03:20 PM
Suzanne as we speak I am sitting here STUFFED and it was all legal :D I chopped up some zucchini, peppers (red, orange and green), spanish onions, tuna steak and smoked sausage (kielbasa type). I cut everything into about 1" cubes, sprinked with oil, and spices and skewered them for the grill..... burp! The zucchini came out better than I thought it would. We also grilled some white & yellow corn on the cob.

A few years ago I used to get lunch at this place called The Pita Inn. They made stuffed peppers (no meat, just rice & veggies mixed) and they put it hot in a pita loaf, they also put tomatoes and lettuce in there. But the best was the sesame tahini dressing they drizzled on top. You talk about a whoppin load of veggies that tasted out of this world MMMMM !!!

(Tahini is ground sesame paste and oil. It is an essential ingredient in hummus, one of the most popular of Arab foods. This spicy dip also includes garlic, lemon, pureed chick peas and mixed spices. Tahini is also featured in moutabel, an eggplant dip and baba ghanoush, which is char-grilled eggplant pureed with lemon juice and garlic.)

Amarantha2
06-05-2005, 08:20 PM
Well, I haven't been doing this lately and I don't know if it qualifies as "sneaking" :lol: but I do sometimes whir frozen vege into a sort of veggie smoothie in the mini blender. If I am trying to fool myself, I add some frozen fruit for sweetness and maybe soy or dairy milk or yogurt. In the days when I ate carrots, they made a good addition to a sweet fruit/soy smoothie and you wouldn't have known they were in there.

I've posted this before, but chopped fresh spinach is a good addition to egg salad.

WastedThermos
06-07-2005, 11:41 PM
Eating more veggies is a priority for me.
I love adding spinach to egg white omelets in the morning. Actually, if I can find a way to sneak spinach in I will because it seems like a "really" good vegetable to me for some reason. I put it in marinara-type sauces and in all of my salads.
Also, I've been adding something called "Broccoli Slaw" to everything too, especially salads and sandwiches. It is a dry mix of shredded broccoli, carrots and cabbage. It doesn`t have much of a taste, but it is very fresh and crunchy.
I'm trying to learn to make asparagus without bathing it in cream or butter.

jbbm
06-10-2005, 11:59 AM
You can sneek them in spaghetti sauce or meatloaf, like grated carrots, onions, peppers. Taste great

WaterRat
06-10-2005, 01:05 PM
I LOVE plain steamed asparagus, hot or cold! I also have a recipe somewhere for a mustard type sauce for it. Came from a vegetarian cookbook (Moosewood, I think).

WastedThermos
06-10-2005, 04:47 PM
Interesting... should I get fresh, canned or frozen? I'm a poor college student so I've been buying frozen so that they don`t go bad. Is there much of a difference?

boiaby
06-11-2005, 05:07 PM
Also, I've been adding something called "Broccoli Slaw" to everything too, especially salads and sandwiches. It is a dry mix of shredded broccoli, carrots and cabbage. It doesn`t have much of a taste, but it is very fresh and crunchy.

Thank you so much for introducing me to this stuff WastedThermos!! It's my new favorite thing to add to salads and wraps, etc. YUM! :T

Beverly

Suzanne 3FC
06-12-2005, 11:31 AM
I've seen that, I'll have to buy a bag! I had wondered what to do with it, if it needed to be treated like coleslaw and smothered in a mayo based sauce. But that's a great idea to toss it in other things. I'll give that a try.

jillybean720
06-13-2005, 10:46 AM
WastedThermos--be careful with canned veggies as they tend to have added sodium. I use frozen a lot because I never finish the fresh before they go bad!

I wish I could just scrape all the tastebuds off my tongue so I could eat more veggies! I am such a picky eater anyway--I don't even like many meats (mostly only chicken, sometimes sausage/hotdogs/keilbasa and cheeseburgers--but they must have the cheese and stuff so I don't taste the meat as much). I LOVE fruits--I am an avid eater of oranges, apples, bananas, kiwis, grapes, pineapple, watermelon, plums, peaches...the list goes on and on! When it comes to vegies, however, I'm trying SO hard to sneak some into my diet. I like potatoes and corn, but the starchiest veggies, of course, are worst for you :dizzy: A lot of people (including my mother) seem to think I really would like them if I tried them now, that I just don't like them because I didn't like them as a kid. Well, I went there. I have been trying them all over town! The verdict: ick! Veggies I like in a salad include: lettuce, baby spinach, red or white onion, and cucumbers. Aside from the spinach, none of these have much for nutritional value. I actually went and bought 1 red, 1 yellow, 1 orange, and 1 green pepper just to try. I tried them raw with dressing/dip. I tried them cooked in stir-fry. I discovered I do not like peppers of any color :p I hated carrots as a kid, but decided maybe my tastes have changed (your taste buds actually change every 5 years or so, which is why as you get older, you like different things). So I tried some raw carrots. I tried some cooked carrots. I discovered I still do not like carrots :p I like tomato sauce (marinara, spaghetti), tomato soup, and ketchup, yet I can't handle actual tomatos. I love my mother's broccoli casserole--smothered with creamy cheese sauce and breadcrumbs so I can't taste the broccoli :p Oi vei, what is wrong with me?! I see a lot of people on her emention asparagus, which I can honestly say I have never even tried. Any suggestions on how to prepare it? raw? cooked? dressings? I'd like to try it to add at least one real veggie to my options. Oh, I also tried drinking V8. I drank it every morning for a month--just 8 oz at a time, and different varieties (no salt added, with lemon, etc.)--and every time, I thought I was going to be sick. It just never seemed to get better, so I finally stopped torturing myself. Am I absolutely insane? Is there something I'm not seeing? Is there ANY multivitamin that may help to complensate for the nutrients I'm not getting? I know eating the food is a better way for nutrition, but eating healthy should not be this painful!

rdhdgrl1
06-13-2005, 01:05 PM
I put lots of extra veggies in my spaghetti sauce, especially zuchinni, peppers and no salt added canned tomatoes. I love zuchinni. It's really good sauteed with onions. My favoritething right now is Bird's Eye Normandy Blend veggies. The bag has broccoli, cauliflower, yellow squash, zuchinni, and carrots in the bag. I've been adding about 2 cups of this to a lean cuisine spa classics meal. I also like to saute chicken and add peppers, zuchinni, tomatoes, onions, celery, garlic and anything else I might have on hand with chilli powder and cumin and put it over brown rice. Green beans are very good also. I like them with lemon and some pepper. Also to get my veggies in for the day I like to peel and seed a cucumber, take a handful of grape tomatoes and dip them in ranch dip made with a packet of Hidden Valley Ranch dip mix and Breakstone 40% reduced fat sour cream. That's a good one. I always have that on hand. Also when I make chicken salad or tuna salad I eat it in a cucumber that has been cut length wise and all the seeds are scooped out and you fill it with the chicken/tuna. :dizzy: Pheww! Guess I like veggies.

boiaby
06-13-2005, 02:08 PM
I've seen that, I'll have to buy a bag! I had wondered what to do with it, if it needed to be treated like coleslaw and smothered in a mayo based sauce. But that's a great idea to toss it in other things. I'll give that a try.

Hey Suzanne, a few more uses for this stuff is in stirfrys and fajitas. YUM! I'm addicted! :D

Beverly

mauvaisroux
06-16-2005, 04:38 PM
I like to sneak my veggies into things like chilli and spaghetti sauce. I make my sauce with shredded carrots and tons of red and green peppers. Tossing veg onto homemade pizza, sneaking extra into casseroles and stirfries.

The one thing I used to do when I was a kid was mash turnip into my mashed potatoes to hide them. Still do it to this day :lol:

punkrockgrryl
06-17-2005, 01:26 PM
jillybean720- my favorite way to do asparagus (and i LOVE asparagus) is to roast it-- either use a misto (w olive oil) or put a teaspoon of olive oil in a plastic bag, put in the trimmed/cleaned asparagus, and toss to coat. put the (lightly) oiled asparagus on a baking pan, sprinkle with salt and pepper and roast in a 400 degree oven for 10 or 12 minutes-- you'll know it's done when it starts to look a bit brown along the edges. serve with a few squirts of lemon and ohmygod is it good. good cold the next day too.

jiffypop
07-06-2005, 09:20 AM
i really like veggies, and always have. but since i discovered the fact that i can chop a whole bunch of them up, put them on a sprayed toaster oven pan, turn it up to at least 350 [or higher!] and then walk away, i've been making sure i have a stash of this stuff ready!!! and if i'm ambitious, i'll actually season them with some herbs. or wait until later.

they get a little sweeter, a little dryer, a little more intense. LOVE them in or on everything, from sandwiches to salads, eggs, side dishes, alone, mixed in soups, etc.

combinations: peppers, mushrooms, a little onion, zucchini. asparagus. broccoli. winter squash. eggplant. tomatoes. carrots. leafy greens work as well, but you have to watch them carefully so they don't burn [radicchio is excellent this way]. things like artichokes need to be cooked a bit beforehand. brussels sprouts are fabulous - really! and if you add a sprinkling of romano cheese to them - even better. i will NEVER eat a boiled brussels sprout again.

oh. and you can even cook frozen ones this way - they get a bit watery, and you have to blot them a bit, but they work just fine!

starting_over
07-06-2005, 10:10 AM
I can relate 100% to Jillybean720!

When I am dieting, I have the worst time with veggies! I will buy the frozen bags and keep them in my freezer, though I rarely eat them.

Just about the only veggies I will eat are:
Tomatoes
Cucumbers
Lettuce (if it's ONLY in a salad)
Carrots (they have to be mushy, like cooked with something)
Asparagus
Broccoli (if it is cooked, and tender)

I refuse to eat peppers, radishes, onions, spinach, celary, or anything else that is not on my list above :lol:

My family has told me the same thing, that because I didn't like them when I was little, doesn't mean I won't like them now. All I can say is..."No...I don't like them!" :lol:

Sometimes I feel like I want to bust out the Dr. Suess book 'Green Eggs & Ham' except replace it with 'Green Veggies & Ham' (since I don't like Ham either LOL)...And I will not eat them...Sam I am!!!

Some people don't believe me...but when I do eat any of these veggies that are on my 'no-no' list - I get a headache! Especially onions! That is a guaranteed headache! So I just say I am allergic to veggies...LOL.

jillybean720
07-06-2005, 10:19 AM
Some people don't believe me...but when I do eat any of these veggies that are on my 'no-no' list - I get a headache! Especially onions! That is a guaranteed headache! So I just say I am allergic to veggies...LOL.

LOL I used to hate tomatoes so much that I would tell restaurants I was actually allergic so I would know they were careful to not put it on, or if they did put it on and took it off, they would make me a new plate so the seeds and juice wouldn't be on my food. How bad am I?! I don't get that freaky over tomatoes anymore, though. A seed or bit of juice here or there really isn't going to kill me :p

synger
07-08-2005, 01:44 PM
Here's another vote for the broccoli slaw.

It's good with a little fat free ranch as a side dish when I'm jonesing for cole slaw.

I use it a lot when I'm sauteeing veggies for dinner. I dislike boiled veggies, so I use a spray of Pam or a little bit of butter (carefully measured, of course), and saute onions and zucchini, or peas and beans from the garden, and then add a handful of broccoli slaw at the end.

I also use it when I'm making rice pilaf. I buy a brown texmati rice and bean mix (just rice and some beans -- no salt or flavoring), and while it's cooking up I sautee onion and broccoli slaw, and add a handful of baby spinach or frozen spinach at the end. Then mix the veggies in with the rice, season, and serve as a side dish to whatever we're having. It's really good with grilled meats.

Amy8888
07-11-2005, 04:23 PM
I also like putting them in spaghetti sauce (especially things like zucchini), soups, chili, eggs, pizza. I also love tex-mex, so fajitas and salsa are great! Salads are good as long as I don't go overboard on full-fat salad dressing (for me a typical salad is lettuce from the ready-to-eat bags, so any veggies add interest). And a biggie is to seek the veggies I like! I can tolerate canned green beans as a side at dinner, but I really love fresh green beans, fresh tomatoes, and grilled squash!

sexyacura
08-02-2005, 12:19 PM
:hun: :cheers: I always have lots of veggies with lunch and dinner. I eat em plain and find
the natural taste to be pleasing. I don't use salt either. Another treat for me
is mixing beans with rice and flavoring it with vinager. Delicious! Veggies
are tastey mixed with rice. Another tastey treat for me is red beans on bread.
Makes a yummy sandwich.
sexyacura

MrsJim
08-02-2005, 05:20 PM
I'd suggest looking for 'new' veggies - if there's a farmer's market in your area, check 'em out - you might find something new and delicious...

Anyone tried asian long beans? They are so crisp and tasty! :)

I will do frozen in a pinch, but I just can't tolerate canned veggies, they taste stale to me.

fikustrees
08-09-2005, 12:07 PM
you can add spinich to ANYTHING you make. Especially things like pasta sauces and soup. it doesn't change the taste at all, just the texture a little bit.

flipafart
09-01-2005, 08:19 PM
I do not sneak veggies. I'm out of the closet when it comes to eating my veggies. I like them in stirfrys as side dishes and yes sometime you might catch me eating them all alone. Okay now you know. :lol:

veggies are your friend

http://www.3fatchicks.com/weight-tracker/img/bar097/slider-scale/lb/179/120/144/.png (http://www.3fatchicks.com/weight-tracker/index.php)

kittie
09-01-2005, 10:49 PM
They come in my lean cuisines :lol:

jillybean720
09-02-2005, 06:20 AM
Yes, veggies are your friend, but for those of us who hate veggies, sneaking them in is the only way!

I, for one, have fallen off the veggie wagon. I was eating some in stir-fry dishes, salads, and such, but I just haven't been eating them at all lately. My salad consists of lettuce, onion, and the occasional cucumber as the only vegetables (not much for actual nutritional value!).

And it certainly isn't for lack of trying! When I go grocery shopping, my boyfriend constantly questions my motvives for buying veggies he knows I won't actually eat. He says I am wasting my time and money--I prepare them every which way I can find (internet is great for recipe searching!), and yet I can never finish all my veggies. I told him I have to keep trying because they are so GOOD for you! I have bags of frozen broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus, and sugar snap peas in my freezer (I don't shop oftenenough to buy fresh and use them before they go bad). But yet, I have not found a way (roasted, stewed, raw, steamed, boiled, grilled...) that I actually like anything other than potatoes and corn (which I know are really starches) and lettuce and a few small slices of cucumber. Many others actually make me physically gag.

Of course, I have always been a pretty picky eater. The only meats I eat are chicken, ground turkey (do not like roasted turkey--people think I'm insane at Thanksgiving!), and ham. I occasionaly eat beef in the form of burgers, but nothing like steak or pork chops or anything like that (yuck!), so veggies are not the only foods my taste buds reject :p

oliviacw
09-05-2005, 12:20 AM
The veggie-haters might like to try the winter squashes - butternut, acorn, etc. They can be a lot like mashed potatoes in texture, but with lots more good vitamins and minerals. And really easy to cook! Just cut one in half, place it facedown on a plate, and microwave for 8 to 10 minutes. (Or, put facedown in a shallow pan with .5" water, and cook in the oven at 350 for 30 minutes.) Scrape out the now-soft insides, and mash them. Good with salt and pepper mixed in, or for those with a sweet tooth, a little butter and some brown sugar.

Rowan Bailey
09-05-2005, 06:47 PM
This isn't a sneak but sometimes I get overly ambitous when buying fresh veggies and they all need to be cooked at one time or they will end up the trash.....so what I started doing, especially good for low carbing, but you can use misto if your watching calories. I buy the disposable cooking trays from the local food supplier, so i wil slice the veggies long...so I will take anything, starting on the bottom with the veggies that take the longest (potatos, eggplant) and sprinkle salt and pepper and olive oil in between each layer. I top it with sliced tomatos and parmesian cheese. I then bake it for about 20 -30 minutes. The veggies last another 3-4 days and I use them in everything, eggs, as a side dish, chopped over roasted chicken.....It also make an excellent pot luck dish...you can add some bread crumbs to the cheese and it will be really crunchy... I just like this one because I can make use of whatever is about to go bad.....I just made one with red onions, eggplant, zucchini, some broccoli and fennel leftover from some friends over the other night for dinner and it was on a veggie platter......

Gardenwife
09-07-2005, 01:33 AM
I like to puree canned or frozen spinach and add it to my thick and delicious spaghetti sauce. We love veggies anyway, but even our non-veggie-loving friends and family don't notice it's there.

hevron
09-07-2005, 12:10 PM
Hi all! I was looking for some other forums that might interest me, and veggie-challenged is certainly me! I enjoyed reading your messages.

Jillybean: I'm SO with you on the veggie tale. I like very few vegetables, and the ones I do are so high-starchy (corn, potatoes, green beans...) I love them in my Chinese food, but all that other crap just about cancels out the healthy side of veggies in those dishes.

Kittie: I do lots of Lean Cuisines, too, and they are pretty sneaky in getting them in there. Sometimes I don't even notice that much. LC and Smart Ones are pretty tasty dishes; it's the snacking that gets me!

Fikus: You're right about spinach. Only recently did I discover that I actually like some people's greens (turnip greens, mustard greens, etc.) But only a couple of people I know make them tasty; otherwise...yuck.

I guess I do like a few others: red/green peppers, dill pickles, onions, broccoli, carrots (sometimes). I just don't do a great job of motivating myself to eat them; I'd rather have the cheese crackers or chocolate pieces!

Have a great day...

penpal
09-22-2005, 02:54 PM
Hi,

Now that winter is just around the corner, it's a good time to think about making soup! I make soup out of just about everything but the kitchen sink! :lol: Creamed soups (pureed veggies) taste great and are good if you don't like the texture of veggies. I posted a REALLY easy recipe for cream of artichoke soup recently on the Recipes forum. :df:

Gardenwife
09-22-2005, 04:28 PM
Oh, I love soups and stews. They're just the trick with the cooler weather coming. Howie even asked me to thaw some of the smoked turkey and bean soup for him yesterday. You know it's fall when my husband asks for beans, LOL! I could eat 'em every day, but he isn't quite the legume fan that I am. He's getting there, though. ;)

penpal
09-22-2005, 06:23 PM
Mmmm, smoked turkey and bean sounds good :T . Do you buy the smoked turkey legs or what kind of turkey do you use?

I think I'm going to eat lots of soup this winter - great for supper and not too many calories. :df:

Gardenwife
09-22-2005, 07:34 PM
It's wonderful soup! I use smoked turkey legs, which I buy at Wal-Mart in vacuum-sealed packages in the meat aisle.

penpal
09-22-2005, 09:00 PM
Hi Kimberley,

I'm glad you reminded me about smoked turkey legs - I haven't had them in ages. They are very inexpensive and good to have on hand for extra protein. :df:

Gardenwife
09-22-2005, 10:41 PM
The great thing is, they flavor the whole pot of beans with so little fat. I'll post the soup recipe in my blog tonight (see my sig).

penpal
09-23-2005, 12:35 PM
Hi Kimberley,

I'm looking forward to seeing your turkey & bean soup recipe. I just took a look at your blog - I'm very impressed! Thanks for sharing the interesting links, etc. Your pets are adorable.

Congratulations on your weight loss (and your husband's) :cp: . I'm on the verge of Onederland (the first time in over 20 years!) myself and it looks like you will soon be there too.

I was sorry to hear about your hubby's back problems - I'll keep him in my prayers for a good outcome. :df:

Gardenwife
09-24-2005, 11:51 AM
Here's the recipe:
Soup beans with smoked turkey (http://www.gardenwife.com/mt/archives/2005/09/soup_beans_with.php)

It's a VERY big batch, like 64 cups' worth. Break it down as needed, LOL! :lol:

penpal
09-24-2005, 04:10 PM
Thanks for the recipe, it sounds delicious :T . Do you soak the beans first or put them in dry? Also, do you add any water, or is the juice in the canned veggies enough liquid? I'll probably scale the recipe down a bit as I don't have a big enough freezer for 64 cups! :eek:

Gardenwife
09-25-2005, 01:35 AM
Oh, you know, I think I added water to bring the liquid level up to about an inch below the pot's rim. Forgot to add that! When I record my recipes, I hardly include the directions part since it's something I make so often. I enter them in a spreadsheet so I can put down the calories and fat in each ingredient, then divide the totals by the number of servings. I need to tweak that in my blog!

I did the quick soak method, bringing them to a boil, then removing them from the heat and covering them for an hour. The water was then drained and the beans rinsed a little before adding them to the pots for cooking.

Alternately. you can soak the beans in cold water overnight, drain the water and rinse the beans a little, then go from there.

penpal
09-25-2005, 12:13 PM
I like your quick soak method - I'll give it a try.

I bought some smoked turkey legs and I think I'll make up a small batch tomorrow. Thanks again for the recipe! :chef:

Gardenwife
09-27-2005, 06:48 PM
Did you try it? Today I made up a huge batch of vegetable beef soup (no hiding the veggies in that, LOL).

penpal
09-27-2005, 09:46 PM
Yes! I made a batch yesterday and it turned out great - one of the best soups I've ever made. I left out the tomatoes and peppers as I'm not so keen on them. The smoked turkey gives it such a great aroma and taste - even better than ham hocks, imo.

I took some for lunch today at a crafts day with my girlfriends. Everyone sat down to their tuna sandwiches, pasta salads, etc. and I had my big bowl of delicious soup. Everyone said "what's that wonderful smell" and they all want the recipe! My hubby, who is a soupaholic, also loves it!

Thanks again for sharing! :thanks:

tampagirlcmb
09-28-2005, 12:55 PM
You probably know this trick, but my favorite cole slaw is the one with vinegar/sugar/salt and pepper instead. It actually tastes better than a mayo based slaw. Use rice vinegar or white vinegar, dissolve the sugar(splenda!) and S&P for taste. A restaurant up north that i worked at served that kind of slaw with their fish fry and I couldnt get enough!

Gardenwife
09-28-2005, 11:19 PM
Yay, glad you liked it!

I've never made that kind of cole slaw, tampagirlcmb - it sounds wonderful. I'm going to have to make that one! You'd probably like this Spicy Asian Slaw (http://www.sunmaid.com/spicyslaw.htm) recipe from Sun Maid Raisins website. I haven't tried it yet, but I know from the ingredients that it's a winner.

claudius753
10-03-2005, 02:56 AM
I have found that instead of having salsa with corn chips, I slice up some cucumber and use "Cucumber Chips" to scoop up the salsa.

I also like adding salsa to some soups to put in even more veggies and give the soup some spice. Good on eggs as well. It's one of the best things I have found so far to get in more veggies.

Gardenwife
10-03-2005, 04:09 PM
Cukes are da bomb! I love them, too.

You might like this 3-Bean & Salsa Soup (http://www.gardenwife.com/mt/archives/2005/02/3bean_kale_soup.php) recipe, Claudius.

Man, just realized I'm all out of my frozen supply of that now...Need to make more now that it's good soup weather!

claudius753
10-03-2005, 08:13 PM
Thanks for the recipe. Even though I am not a "fat chick" I still joined here to find good recipes, food ideas, exercise ideas, etc.

From the looks of the recipe, it definitely looks like a keeper. The salsa make it spicier, and I love spicy foods.

My parents are thinking of getting a medium sized freezer for in the basement. Hopefully they do soon so I can make up a bunch and freeze it. As it is, I'll have to try to make a smaller batch by reducing everything.

May I ask how you freeze? Do you freeze it all in one container or do you separate out into individual servings. When you want to make it after its been frozen, do you have to let it thaw first or can you go straight from freezer to cooking it?

Gardenwife
10-03-2005, 08:26 PM
Hey, guys are a rare commodity here, but they're always welcome. My hubby is Howie (see my sig) and he's a member here.

I have an assortment of 1, 2, 4 and 6-cup containers, so I tend to mete out portions in those for the freezer. That way they're handy for whatever appetite we have at the moment. My containers are microwave-safe, so I just loosen the lid and put the frozen container right in the microwave and cook it in there. Cooking times vary, but stirring the soups once they're part thawed helps them reheat evenly.

emerald dragonfly
12-15-2005, 10:56 PM
When my kids were little, I use to grate carrots & zuchinni in the spaghetti sauce. By the time the sauce was done, the veggies cooked themselves down to where you couldn't see them. To this day, they still don't know I did that! LOL!!

emerald dragonfly

irisheyes213
12-29-2005, 09:33 PM
Whenever I cook any type of pasta whether for mac and cheese:o
or for any other pasta dish, I always put frozen broccoli cuts or frozen chopped leaf spinach in the water with the pasta. Usually by the time the pasta is done, the pieces are small enough that nobody really notices unless they have never seen green mac and cheese before ;)

We also have a green veggie rule in our house. There must be a green vegetable on the plates. There are very few days that we miss this rule in our house and even try to stick to it out at restaurants.

veggielover
03-17-2006, 03:18 PM
1 cup of veggies will INFLATE one portion of pasta 3 fold!!! I've tried it! It's so awesome!

NJ_Karen
03-22-2006, 10:42 PM
Once a week I stock up on my favorite veggies, bring them home and then spend close to an hour washing, peeling and cutting! In a large plastic storage container I make up a nice selection of vegetables that will be eaten raw with dip.
Generally, baby carrots, red pepper, broccoli, cucumbers, and cherry tomatos.
My kids will take out the container after school and munch away using low fat ranch dressing for dip. I usually pull the container out at lunch time or when I'm cooking dinner, as it keeps me from 'tasting' as I cook. For myself, I make a batch of something called "Skinny Dip" that came from Richard Simmons.
You just mix a container of fat free sour cream with a jar of Salsa.
I take the rest of the raw, sliced veggies (carrots, red & green peppers, zucchini, cauliflour, broccoli, whatever) mix them all together and then store them in large zip lock bags. At dinner time I take out a big portion and toss the veggies with a couple teaspoons of olive oil until well mixed. Spread the veggies out on a cookie sheet sprayed with Pam, and then sprinkle with one of the Mrs. Dash flavors. Bake at about 400 degrees until the veggies are 'oven roasted' and tender. Delicious!
The best part about doing vegetables like this is that after that one hour of 'prep work', you can get all the veggies you need during the rest of the week in no time at all.

Gardenwife
03-24-2006, 01:21 AM
Oven-roasted veggies are the BEST! Cauliflower is especially wonderful that way. People who don't like veggies should try them prepared that way. They're so different from both soft canned veggies and crunchy raw ones. They're joy sublime. :D

Merrylegs
03-24-2006, 09:45 PM
Roasted veggies do indeed rock...I do a huge pan of cut up (about 1" cubes) of carrots, parsnips, sweet potatoes, acorn squash, onions, whole mushrooms, drizzle with a bit of olive oil, sprinkle liberally with chopped rosemary, a bit of salt and pepper and roast for 1-1 1/2 hours at 400 degrees. They're fantastic, and I eat them for several days. Sometimes I add eggplant, but you have to presalt and rinse them to get out the bitterness.

Gardenwife
03-26-2006, 12:11 AM
When you pre-salt them, do you squeeze them out? I saw Alton Brown's show on eggplants, but have not tried what he showed.

Misti in Seattle
03-26-2006, 07:49 AM
May I ask how you freeze? Do you freeze it all in one container or do you separate out into individual servings. When you want to make it after its been frozen, do you have to let it thaw first or can you go straight from freezer to cooking it?

Hi Nathan... welcome to the dude :welcome3:

I freeze in individual freezer bags. I've been wrapping stuff first in Glad Cling freezer wrap for extra protection and then putting it in the new lined freezer bags. You can get a lot more into the freezer that way, rather than containers. Also I do it in individual portions so I can just grab out one and throw it in the microwave. If I think about it in advance I thaw it first, but ca also just put it right into the microwave frozen and use the thaw setting for a few minutes before I turn it on higher. I'm doing a lot of crockpot cooking so have easy wonderful meals! :carrot:

Karen, I love your idea about the veggies! I was reading somewhere that baking them like this is good, brushed with a little olive oil. But that is also great about cutting them up and storing ahead of time. I would have thought they would have gotten brown without being in ice water or something... but apparently the bags protect them...??? I also often use the salsa and fat free sour cream... yum!

Merrylegs
03-26-2006, 02:10 PM
I liberally salt the eggplant on one side, leave about 20 minutes, blot the beads of moisture with paper towel, turn over, repeat the process, and then rinse and dry with paper towel. I find eggplant quite labor intensive, and don't use it often, but I like it every once in a while. I love Alton Brown!

Gardenwife
03-27-2006, 01:29 AM
Thanks, Merrylegs. Yes, Alton's great. I love how he mixes such funny cinematic techniques with the science of cooking. Good stuff!

Miss DC
04-28-2006, 12:01 PM
My newest favorites are "fake mashed potatos" made from cauliflower. It's AWESOME. Now i'm not a hater, so i'm inclined to like all veggies, but this is worth a try even if you're not so sure if you like cauliflower. I just boil it, then throw it in a blender with some skim milk or ff plain yogurt, salt, pepper and garlic powder. It's awesome and if you throw in some sort of "healthy" meat and gravy type dish you'll love it.

The other thing that i love is using speghetti squash in place of speghetti. Steam it, use a fork to separate the "speghetti" strands and then throw your favorite marinara sauce on.

I use veggies to beef up virtually every meal i eat. It really makes me feel like i'm not having tiny portions. It's my own take on the volumetrics diet. :)

Misti in Seattle
04-29-2006, 03:22 AM
The mashed cauliflower is popular here too, Miss DC. Also mashed sweet potatoes.

I'm like you... my meals get jazzed with a lot of veggies. I get a lot of foor for a few calories!