Closed Thread

Old 05-29-2005, 07:29 PM   #1  

Default Peanut Butter

For phase 1 you could have peanut butter. But I saw that it said natural peanut butter. Where can you find this??? At the store I saw the Carb solutions peanut butter but it has 1 gram of sugar. Can I have this kind???
Old 05-30-2005, 02:02 PM   #2  

I buy Smuckers Natural Peanut Butter at my grocery store. The ingredients are only peanuts and salt. That is what you need to look for in a peanut butter. Remember that the serving size is 2 TBSP daily but you can either eat a serving of peanut butter or a serving of nuts each day. (or half a serving of each).
Old 05-30-2005, 02:57 PM   #3  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

sweetwl, the carb options ones are made with hydrogenated oils. These are the worst of the fats...trans fats. You want to avoid them as much as humanly possible as they can do horrible things to your system. Natural peanut butter (made with ground peanuts and sometimes salt, doesn't have trans fats or any added sugar. Smuckers (in the East) and Laura Scudder's (in the West) is fine. Other brands are available too--I found a salt free one named Uncle something-or-other (bad memory) in Weis near me, and Wegman's, our local grocery, makes their own brand. Keep looking, I'm sure you can find some.
Old 06-04-2005, 05:02 PM   #4  

Thanks for the info. I was going to buy the Carb Options. You saved me the trouble of getting this one.
Old 06-12-2005, 07:31 AM   #5  

You can also get natural peanut butter (and almond butter and cashew butter) at Whole Foods Markets and probably Trader Joe's.
Old 06-12-2005, 07:47 AM   #6  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Or zap the nuts in your blender or food processor and make your own.
Old 06-12-2005, 11:19 PM   #7  

I just bought the Skippy natural peanut butter. It's sooooooo good. Better than regular PB for sure!!
Old 06-15-2005, 10:38 AM   #8  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Jen, I can't get the ingredient list to come up online, but a post I found on a website (http://msnbc.msn.com/id/7804202/ ) noted that the Skippy Natural contains palm oil. That stuff is horrible for you...full of saturated fat and likely to clog your arteries. They include it, I assume, so they can say that you don't have to mix their natural PB. Don't eat this stuff, hon. Go with a truly natural PB--the only ingredients should be peanuts and possibly salt. If you mix the PB at the beginning, then put it in the fridge, you won't have to mix it again. The oils in the Natural PB (the real stuff, not the Skippy) are actually beneficial for your health, while the palm oil is detrimental. Take care of yourself, okay?
Old 06-15-2005, 10:53 PM   #9  

Oh gosh! Thanks for letting me know! I thought "Natural" meant it was A-Ok.
Old 06-16-2005, 08:54 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

See-it goes to show how important it is to read the labels even on products you think are ok. I never would have thought I needed to read a label on natural peanut butter.
Thanks for the heads up.
Sarah
Old 06-16-2005, 09:07 AM   #11  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Well, I never! If it's labelled natural, one would assume it's only peanuts! Thanks, Laurie!
Closed Thread