Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-25-2005, 11:16 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 160/143/125

Height: 5'2"

Default Denise Austin?

Does anyone do Denise Austin videos or watch her morning show on Lifetime? I was watching it this morning, of course just watching, but it looked really uplifting and challenging. Just wondering about any pros and cons about it. I really enjoy running but my foot is still bothering me because I haven't really been off of it to heal.

JKB
jkbunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 07:06 AM   #2  

Height: 5'1"

I have one of her old video tapes. A workout for the abs...can't remember the name off hand (It's probably hidden in my closet somewhere) But I got a great workout from it and really did notice a difference after a few weeks of following it! (hmmm....maybe I ought to dust that off and put it to use! )

The one thing that I had a problem with was her cheerfulness. TOO cheery! Maybe it's just me, but after awhile I couldn't stand to listen to her and I would have to mute the video and turn on some music.

Next time you see her show on tv....give it a try. You may find you really enjoy it and then you can get a routine going in the morning.....'Waking up to Denise Austin!"
Marti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 08:54 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

I had her Pilates tape and I liked the routine but I gave it to my mother because she had to strengthen her back and abs. Austin's sticky sweet voice and super calming music drove me nuts!! I also would mute the sound, and put on some serious rap music to get through the workouts.

Tiki
tikanique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 01:15 PM   #4  
(Male)

Height: 5'9.5"

I have her yoga/pilates one which I like although I haven't used too much yet. I'm willing to tolerate her voice because I get to look at her!
Jman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 01:23 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

Okay dude, I'm glad she works for you. Now if Alan Iverson or Will Smith did a Pilates tape with an awful soundtrack, I would continue to use it as well.....
Tiki
tikanique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 02:01 PM   #6  

I'm right there with you Tiki, but I'd still probably turn down the sound
ellenuw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 02:03 PM   #7  
Mel

Tiki, why don't you suggest that to AI's agent?
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 10:10 AM   #8  

I have her pilates tape and her kickboxing routine. Both of them work very well. You really feel the workout. I used to do her routines in the morning and it's a good way to get your heart moving. They aren't very long and she takes the time to stretch, but she really moves during the cardio, so you do start breathing heavy. And she focuses on a different muscle group everyday. I would recommend it, especially if you are not doing anything else physical. Plus, she gives eating and lifestyle advice. I don't mind her voice and I think she is kind of entertaining. The happiness works for me. I am doing slim in six right now, and I could use some of her energy. Debbie is a little too calm.
beckajw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 02:43 PM   #9  

I just picked up her book "Shrink Your Female Fat Zones". I have never seen her in full motion as I don't watch tv but, the book seems very sound. I got it to help me with my 'ARGH! exercise is taking up all my free time!' issue as she breaks it down over the day which is not something I have been able to coordinate on my own. Judging from her writting style I'd probably want to punch her in the face if I ever met her, but I have a low tolerance for chronically perky people. I also get turned off by a lot of unnecessary 'positivity' but I just kind of roll my eyes at that and keep reading. Why? Because she has a lot of good information in there.

I read about medical, um, stuff a lot in my spare time and her info is good so far. She also has some exercises that I don't currently do so while it will take me more than 15 mins per workout because I'm not giving up my old standard bits, I am going to be able to add hers and break it up for different body areas over several days rather than the 3-hour-my-night-is-shot routines I have been doing.

She also has an eatting plan, but i'd never be able to stick to it because my byfriend is on low carb so I'm going to stick with South Beach, but at least read the advice if not make the recipes. Too much tofu anyway, yuck.

Ok so, I can;t say anything about the videos but the book seems pretty good. Not sure if that helps at all.
fatbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 09:52 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 198/150/140

I really like Denise Austin...she doesn't annoy me, I kind of find it funny and I'll find myself saying it with her "your spine is your lifeline, keep it healthy keep it strong" and "squeeze those buns, squeeze squeeze squeeze" and my boyfriend will walk in and laugh at me. Her Personal Trainer DVD is great because you can break it up into which body segments you want to focus on AND there is the option of doing the workout with music only for those who don't appreciate her voice. The workouts on Lifetime are good too you just need to remember to do something during the commercial breaks to keep your heart rate up. Just my two cents worths!
lizzbabe is offline   Reply With Quote