South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 04-25-2005, 09:41 AM   #1  
Kim

Unhappy Help please!!!!

Hi. I've been doing weight watchers since October and initially did very well. I started out at 175 and lost down to 151, but in the last 3 months, I've went up and down between 151-155. For some reason on Sundays I binge, especially on sweets. It's like an addiction and I can't stop myself. It happens EVERY week. I know on Saturdays that it's coming, so I try to prepare myself. I save my FLEX points all for Sunday, but still go WAY over. Believe it or not, I consumed 7000 calories in a 27 hour period yesterday. I'm thinking I might have a major problem with carbs because that's all I binge on . On Sundays, I work 7P-7A which doesn't help either, so I'm awake from 5:00am until about now which is 8:30am (on Mondays). I was wondering, do you think I would have better luck on Southbeach? I know that I've got a real problem. I do so good the rest of the week. I work out over an hour 5 days/week and keep my calories between 1200-1300 every other day. If I could do that on Sundays, look how much weight I could be losing. I'm so frustrated and disappointed in myself right now. I just wondered if anyone in this forum had every experieced anything like this and if switching to Southbeach helped or made carb cravings/binging worse. Any insite would be so much appreciated.
Thanks,
Kim
Old 04-25-2005, 09:52 AM   #2  
GARDENING ADDICT

Kim~ Maybe part of your problem is that you are saving your FLEX points foe Sunday. I kind of sets your mind up for Sunday being a day of excess. Once you start "Flexing" it becomes hard to stop. Try to use some of your flex point through out the week instead. The one thing that I did not like about WW was that one could in effect use all of their points on carbs without learning to eat healthy foods.

On the other hand, if you are carbing-out then you obviously have a carb problem and South Beach just might be the plan for you. You will have to get through the first 2 weeks on a low-end carb healthy diet but once you detox, your Sunday splurges should be gone. Good luck in whatever you chose.

BTW, I'm also a nurse and work Baylor weekends 7A-7P
Old 04-25-2005, 10:22 AM   #3  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Right! Those darn WW Flex Points get us started on binges. The great thing about South Beach is that you are allowed ONLY healthy foods.

Try a week on Phase I and see how it goes BUT do include the allowed carbs from the list in the FAQ section. Legumes such as kidney beans and chick peas can be really helpful in curbing cravings!
Old 04-25-2005, 01:07 PM   #4  

This might be a great plan for you. Above all things, I think you need to have a chat with yourself and figure out what the sweets binging on Sundays is really about. Work on Monday? last hurrah before the week starts, etc? Maybe a change in your Sunday plans is all you need. Replace the sugar binging habit with something more healthful and positive.
Old 04-25-2005, 01:13 PM   #5  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Kim! Honey, 7000 calories is way out of control. I've been there, too, and I know for me it was a humongous (no pun intended) addiction to sugar. I've found that a combo of SBD and Overeaters Anonymous (you can find them at www.oa.org) has helped a lot.

Cutting the sugar and bad carbs out of my diet has almost completely reduced my desire to binge. I know what that stuff does to me, and I won't eat it. That NEVER would have happened before! It's so much easier now. My head still wants to binge to cope, and OA helps with that.

I hope that things work out for you...you are always welcome here. Just read the book first, okay?
Old 04-25-2005, 07:42 PM   #6  
Kim

Thank you all for the excellent advice. I'm going to go buy the book and give it a try.
Old 04-25-2005, 07:49 PM   #7  

Walmart has the book on sale this week for under $10, if you are interested. Also, I have a sweet tooth the size of Texas, so I can sympathize!!! I was on WW before too and I have done better on SBD about eating sweets. On SBD, splenda will be your best friend! Good luck! We'd be glad to have you at the beach!
Old 04-25-2005, 08:06 PM   #8  
Kim

Thank you!
Kim
Closed Thread