Simply Filling and Core Recipes - Recipe of the Day: Market Meatloaf with Potato Frosting

aghiowa
04-05-2005, 10:10 AM
Market Meatloaf With Potato Frosting

Recipe By : adapted from Menu Mailer
Serving Size : 6

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 pound extra lean ground beef
1 medium onion -- finely chopped
1/3 cup oatmeal
1 egg -- slightly beaten
3 tablespoons skim milk
1 tablespoon ketchup
3/4 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon garlic powder
salt and pepper -- to taste
Topping:
3 cups mashed potatoes -- prepared (Core)
11 ounces corn with red and green peppers -- drained
1/4 cup green onion -- thinly sliced
1 cup fat-free cheddar cheese -- shredded

Heat oven to 375 degrees. In a large bowl, combine meat loaf ingredients (ground beef to salt and pepper), mixing lightly but thoroughly; gently press into bottom of 9" square baking pan.

Bake 20-25 min or till no longer pink and juices run clear. Carefully pour off drippings. Turn on oven broiler.

Meanwhile in a medium bowl, combine all topping ingredients except cheese. Spread over meat loaf to edges of pan; sprinkle with cheese. Broil 3-4" from heat for 3-5 minutes, or till top is lightly browned; cut into 6 rectangular servings.

Vickie
04-05-2005, 01:33 PM
Angela, and all of you other cooks, what do you think about couscous in meatloaf instead of oatmeal? I'm thinking I'm going to experiment. Would you use the same amount as oatmeal or less?

aghiowa
04-05-2005, 03:13 PM
Hmmm. That's an interesting thought. It might affect the texture. I would probably use a little less, as oatmeal is "fluffy" in the measuring cup, and couscous isn't. Why would you try this, by the way?

Angela

Vickie
04-05-2005, 07:44 PM
I'm not sure that I have a clear answer. I made meatballs with oatmeal when I first went on Core and they were funny, like maybe too chewy. I was thinking the couscous would be more like breadcrumbs?

aghiowa
04-05-2005, 08:00 PM
You could put your dry quick oats in the blender for a few seconds before you add it to the meatloaf. I've done that to make oatmeal cereal for my babies, and it cooks up very smooth. Did you use quick oats or rolled oats?

I'd wonder about couscous's ability to bind everything together. If you try it, be sure to let me know how it turns out!

Angela

Vickie
04-05-2005, 08:13 PM
I used quick. I'll let ya know!

aghiowa
04-11-2005, 08:12 PM
I made this today. It turned out pretty good. The ff cheese on top was a little funky - it kind of made a hard, waxy crust on top. I think it might be better without the cheese, or maybe add it after broiling. But it went together surprisingly quickly, and had a nice, spicy Mexican flavor.

Angela