Closed Thread

Old 01-29-2005, 07:28 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 176/ticker/120

Height: 5'

Default South Beach to WW?

Hey out there! I've been doing the South Beach Diet with good success since about October. I've lost about 19 lbs, after making the switch from *tedious* calorie counting.

Here's the deal though: I desperately want to get my mom in on the healthy living wagon, and she claims that she "can't" just go on a diet at home, as she has "no willpower." I personally think she's selling herself short. However, she had success many years ago with WW, and I found us a meeting we can both make, and I know she will do it if I do it with her.

So, is there anyone else who has switched from South Beach to Core? I heard some of the basis in food choices is similar. I would appreciate any feedback.

I'm really nervous about going off a program that is working for me, but I am worried about my Mom's health, and willing to do what it takes to get her making healthier choices.

Thanks!
Spring
Old 01-29-2005, 08:00 PM   #2  

Height: 5'7"

Good for you -- and for caring so much about your mom. Personally I've tried to get my Mom (who could stand to lose around 35-40 pounds) on something, but she claims she gets shaky. I think it's mental.

In my opinion, SB is much like Core, but you can also have baked potatoes, albeit with FF cheese and sour cream. Both are "lower" carb instead of low-carb, and incorporate healthy carbs such as fruits and whole grains. I don't think there's much difference. If you think your Mom would be able to stick to it, you should check out the list of acceptable foods and you'll see that there are plenty to choose from!
Old 01-29-2005, 09:14 PM   #3  

Default Just the opposite...

I have been on WW since July & have lost about 25 pounds. My husband needs to lose weight more than me & after he had seen the difference in me he decided he needed to do *something*. He is very analytical & read through a number of different diet plans. He finally decided on SB. So I am now doing SB while also on WW. I find that it works well for me. I am eating healthy foods but am able to portion-control better with WW. I have been & still do Flex [points].

Good luck! It can work for you & your Mom!
Old 01-29-2005, 09:18 PM   #4  

Kathy-

Thanks for your reply! It seems that I would have some more options on the Core program, which seems nice, but also scary too. I don't think I will ever go back to eating potatoes, because they are a real weakness of mine. I even have to be careful with the brown rice, and kashi pilaf, because I just want to eat the whole pot!

I'm excited to go and get registered Wed...mostly because my mom seems psyched too. I think if she has the weekly weigh-ins and me to call and talk to during the week, that she will be able to do it. I really worry about her...she has about 100+ pounds to lose.

Thanks again for the reply, it helps to know that it should be a fairly easy transition.

Spring
Old 01-29-2005, 09:27 PM   #5  

Height: 5'7"

And Spring, please hang out with us on the support board. There are lots of us who are still discovering what works/doesn't work ... and how to incorporate the whole thing into our individual lifestyles. My DH also needs to lose, but insists that the gym is the only way for him. He won't commit to a certain "diet" ... so I have to watch our meals and make my Core foods while also feeding the rest of the family. It's a challenge but sometimes they don't even realize they're eating MY food!
Old 01-29-2005, 11:57 PM   #6  

Kathy, I'm really glad nice people like you and the rest of this board are here. It helps so much to have other people in the same boat to talk to!

I'm lucky in that the DH is very supportive. He's a sknny ol'thing, but he pretty much will eat what I make. He does have a shelf on the top of the cabinet (I can't reach, I'm a shortie) where he keeps all the "naughty" treat foods. If I can't reach it, I don't think about it. He even knows when I might be having a temptin day, and asks if I mind if he chows Ho-Ho's or what have you in front of me.

And my (furry)kids don't care what I'm cookin, as long as there is chicken to beg for a couple times a week!
Old 01-30-2005, 08:40 AM   #7  

LOL! My dh has a "naughty" cabinet too! It's right above the microwave, and I can't reach it either. Out of sight, out of mind!

Angela
Old 01-30-2005, 10:51 AM   #8  
Southside White Sox Fan

Spring, what a good daughter you are! I still miss my Mom. You are sooooo lucky to still have yours. It's really great that you will do this together. I love Core. I've joined WW several times and have done Winning Points, 123, Flex, etc. I went on the Optifast program and also did South Beach. I liked South Beach alot but needed more variety. One of the other big differences between South Beach and Core is that Core is much lower fat. You get more grains and starches but have to give up the lowfat for FF as Kathy mentioned. I've lost 25 pounds on Core since the middle of September which is terrific for someone who is 48 and perimenopausal and has ruined her metabolism. If it weren't for the FF dressings and FF cheese, I would say that Core is a perfect program for me. There is alot of planning necessary and I think alot of cooking if variety is important to your Mom. If you don't make the recipes that are available out there then Mom would be eating alot of plain foods. If she likes to cook, I can give some website suggestions. Our own site is amassing quite the list of recipes.

Does Mom "do" the internet? Maybe you and she could both come hang out here with us on the Core Support Board. I have NEVER met a friendlier group of ladies. No sniping or meanness like on some of the other boards. Let us know if we can help.

Oh yeah, I have 125 more pounds to lose so I'll be here for a while!

Last edited by Vickie; 01-30-2005 at 02:33 PM.
Old 01-30-2005, 12:01 PM   #9  
Cowboy Up Chick

Just a short pop...SDB and Core are very similiar and SBD can easily fit into the W/W program.
Old 01-30-2005, 12:36 PM   #10  

Vickie-Thanks for your reply. As far as recipes go, I like to try new ones, and that is usually my favorite part of a new way of eating. My mom tends to find a handful that she really likes, and repeats them. Although, she has taken to watching all the cooking shows (she's always going on about Rachel Ray!), and is telling me about how she thinks I can modify those recipes to SBD. So, I think there is hope yet! I would love any good recipe site you have! I have been looking through the ones here, as well.

She doesn't really "do" the internet so much. E-mail and solitaire about sum up her computer entertainment. I'll see what I can do, though. I for one, will be hanging out will you all, since you all seem SO nice to chat with!

Spring
Old 01-30-2005, 02:31 PM   #11  
Southside White Sox Fan

Spring, my favorite is www.barbosdietkitchen.com. Go to recipe archive and click on the search function. Once there, select search for "Core". You'll get hundreds of Core recipes. You could also search on "SBD". You can modify it by selecting "search all" and type in Core chicken, for example, if you just want chicken recipes that are for the Core program.

Another is from a member of the WW board by the name of Kippy. I'm not real fond of the lady from reading her posts. She a bit too strict and employs "policing tactics" to people who post on the WW board. Having said that, she's established quite a nice board that has a recipe section that has some interesting Core recipes on it and it too is searchable. It is http://wwkippy.proboards40.com/.

Looking forward to cooking and chatting with you!
Old 01-31-2005, 01:08 PM   #12  

Hi, Spring:

I tried South Beach a couple of times and couldn't stick with it past phase I. I joined WW about a month ago and tried to do points the first week and felt really terrible. I switched to Core and kept my fingers crossed, because it felt so, I don't know, reckless, to be eating potatoes and rice and such. But I've lost 6 pounds this month!

I really feel more comfortable this way. It's easier to stick to, easier to plan family meals, and I think I feel better generally. I really like not having to worry about fruit or starchy vegetables. The only thing I miss are nuts and better cheeses and I've been able to "cheat" a few times with those using activity points and have still lost weight.

You can easily combine South Beach with WW, though, since you aren't "required" to eat anything in particular. You would just have to count points for nuts and low fat (rather than fat free) cheeses, if you use them.
Closed Thread