Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 01-24-2005, 05:08 AM   #1  
Meg

Default Maintainers - Week Of January 24 - 30

Good morning, Maintainers! It's a balmy 2 degrees here in Pittsburgh and I can't seem to get warm enough these days. I have my polar fleece bathrobe on and it attracts cats like a magnet, so whenever I sit down, my lap gets taken over by one or both cats. The kitten has discovered the joys of unrolling the toilet paper, so if we forget to close the door, we come back to discover mountains of shredded toilet paper. Complete with a kitten proudly sitting in the middle of it, like she's the Toilet Paper Queen! All very cute until she did that to the last roll in the house ...

This is going to be a week of studying for me for my PT certification. There's SO much I need to learn - hats off to Mel and Never2Late for all that they know and do.

I love the feeling of being back in the groove after the holidays. For me, this really IS a very comfortable lifestyle and I miss it when I get thrown off track. Who ever would have thought???

Did anyone get the really big snow? We only got about 6 inches, so it's not a big deal here.

What's everyone up to this week? Tried any new recipes? Doing anything fun for exercise?

Here's to a warm and wonderful week! <--- that's only kind of sun that I'll be seeing this week!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 05:59 AM   #2  

Hey Meg. I saw you asking if Stockholm is close to Gothenburg. No it isn't

Here is a map:
http://www.lonelyplanet.com/mapshell...den/sweden.htm

I have had really bad headaches this weekend. No gym for me today But I have my beloved Pilates-DVD which I do at home (with the dog looking at me ) I downloaded Carmen Electras Strip-aerobics DVD for fun today and I think I must try it. My bf will love it

I have no other plans for this week. I'll get a massage tomorrow (I was hit buy a car a couple of days before Christmas and have since had some back problems).

Have a nice day everybody!
beiby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 07:32 AM   #3  

Good Morning,

Hi Meg - great job getting back into your groove -- such a wonderful feeling.

Beiby - sorry about your back, that massage will likely help.

Hello to all other Maintainers. I've been MIA for a while again and once AGAIN I'm starting fresh today. I have not been in a really good groove since Thanksgiving and I'm so frustrated. However, I believe I had a turning point yesterday. I weighed myself, I'm up 8 pounds to an all-time 2 1/2 year high. I went to put on my "big" pants and they were tight! Wow, boy, holy smokes was I angry. I just thought, enough is enough, I'm so tired of this, I'm not happy with the up & downs I've been going through lately and I'm not doing it any more!

So, phew. Here I am. I'm thinking positively today and I'm going BACK TO BASICS. For me, that means NO MORE SUGAR foods and only healthy carbs. I am definitely an emotional eater prone to bingeing when I'm bored, lonely, frustrated or overwhelmed (basically all the time!!). I got a handle on my bingeing problem a few years ago when I completely re-vamped my diet with no sugar and only healthy carbs, meaning fruits, veggies, oatmeal and whole grain wraps. I also worked on my head by writing down my feelings and waiting out binges. But lately I wonder if I need more help, maybe from a professional. I'm not sure what's happened since Thanksgiving, except that I slipped and have been sliding ever since. I have a happy life, I don't understand why I use food the way I do. When I was 11, I broke my hip and had several surgeries over my teenage years. That is when I first remember having weight/food issues and I've struggled with it ever since. So for 22 years now. I'm just so tired.

I live in NH and our snow total here was about 16". That's plenty! My back aches, in a good way, from all the shoveling yesterday. The kids are psyched. We have no school today, so they are really going to be excited when they wake up! I love snow days...just hang out and play and bundle up for sledding. This is the kind of day that makes life special, and so I am going to focus on enjoying the day and use my new resolve to get me through it without using food for anything other than nourishment!

Lessismore
lessismore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 07:51 AM   #4  

Good Morning:

New York with 12+ inches of snow is not a fun event, but at least it's over.

Lesssismore: I am a fellow sufferer. Talking to a proffesional can be a positive step. The post regarding genes and metabolism has helped me a great deal. I would eating a normal level of calories and cut down my exercise to a slightly lower amount and the scale would go up which would lead to an episode, triggered by anger and self-hatered. Now I am accepting the fact that normal for me is less food and more exercise, for life. I do better avoiding sugar & unfriendly carbs than limiting.

Good day
Reg4242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 09:45 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Back in the saddle Monday after a rather hedonistic weekend. Although I did have a good workout yesterday.

We have a good covering of snow but not what they predicted for the weekend. I might even bundle up and go for a walk today. It's -9C and supposed to go up to -2C. If the wind isn't too bad, I can walk in that. ..... er maybe even ..... jog a little!
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 11:35 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

My face! It's stiff! Maybe I'll walk some other day. I did jog home tho'. Brrrrrr.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 12:23 PM   #7  
Ilene the Bean

Susan -- Are there icicles hanging off your nose? No? Then you're fine, get back out there ...

I had a very good leg workout today... I did 6 seperate exercises... 4 sets of each, I had a tough time going down the stairs too... I hope it doesn't put me on my butt for 2 days like it did last week
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 01:08 PM   #8  

Hi, everyone,

My week is going to be a challenge. My parents, who were visiting us for 4 months, left this Saturday. So kids started day cares - so far they are excited but impact on me is huge... Also my little daughter was sick last week and she is still on medication, which is making life harder. My husband is switching to another job also... As if it not enough, my dog, who was fine left alone for 4 hours, decided that beeing left alone for more than 4 hours is unacceptable and so far he chewed on blinds and couch. So my home now looks like barricade - all couches covered in bitter apple and Yuck! and have chairs on top of them. Half of the living room is barricaded with chairs so that he can not get there. Chew toys everywhere. We hope to still find our home intact today.Otherwise he is moving to workshop and will have nails to chew on - exactly my husbands words.

All of this stress made me eat a bag of brownies yesterday. I went for 8km walk and afterwards finished this bag without even thinking what am I doing. I hope my brain will start working, as my jeans are really tight.

We had record rain here in Vancouver - over 30cm in january. My whole car port is flooded, and we had to rip of carpets in the basement. Never a dull moment. Because of flood and mud slide, I could not make it to my yoga class last monday, I called and apologized and I hope they are still keeping me employed. Never heard from them back, just going to go for my regular class this monday like nothing happened.

Hope your week will be good, my can not be worse than last one, so it has to be better.

Sandy.
Sashenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 03:07 PM   #9  

Hi Everybody! I talked with my family yesterday afternoon, who all live back east (I live just N. of San Francisco), and I guess it IS really brrrr cold there! I understand that shivering is good for the metabolism, but for us, how many less Kcals do we burn (lol)? (Not funny!) It's supposed to rain tonight a bit, then more in the next few days, but it has been unseasonable cold here too, although we don't have any 2-degree AMs., that's for sure! So...I rolled out of bed at 4:30 this AM as I planned to (finally -yay!) and walked/ran/walked for 50 mins., til my ankle couldn't handle it anymore. Then I did some stretches for an hour (Egoscue - any of you know about these?), for my left hip and gait probs. that came up when I broke my ankle. I just began walking funny, and then everything went haywire with my gait and hip flexors. At any rate, I then did chest for an hour and now I rest. Then back to gym this afternoon for 4 clients. I'm generally tired at the end of the day, but so fulfilled. I do feel so lucky that I have this job and Meg - keep studying. The first cert. is the hardest, but most exciting to get. I know you'll have no problem. Which cert. are you going for? I have an NSCA-CPT and an AIFE w/an emphasis on Older Adult Fitness. Most of my clients are older women with major weight issues. I started training others in 1998, but my clientele didn't become as specialized as it is now until recently, when I returned to HMR, where I lost my "Last Journey Down" weight to lecture to the classes there. That is now where I get most of my clients. It is truly so rewarding. I know you will love training and contributing to the enhancement of others' lives. Not that you aren't doing that NOW! You are - bigtime! And I love reading other maintainers' posts - Hi again, everyone! It's wonderful to share the trials and tribulations of everyday ups and downs in the lives of maintainers all over the globe. I am so moved. Hope you all can shovel out and keep warm! I'm thinking of you guys! N2L
Never2Late is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 03:12 PM   #10  

Oh! Today is the end of week 2 in my Labrada-get-the-pounds-off-in-12-weeks program. I've lost six pounds so far, which is a good thing. The last time I did something like this, I only lost 3 pounds in the first 2 weeks. I think it's due to all the cardio I've been (reluctantly) doing. I love the weights, but cardio is discipline! Bye all! N2L
Old 01-24-2005, 06:27 PM   #11  
Ilene the Bean

N2L -- "Labrada-get-the-pounds-off-in-12-weeks program" is this a program that the Labrada supplement company has? or is it just supplementing more meals with protein shakes... Sounds like you are doing well on it one way or the other.....

Sandy -- Nice AV, was that taken in Mexico when you were there? Hope your week goes MUCHO better than last !! Hang in there, if you can just come and vent , we are great listeners...

Mel -- I just remembered your post from last week, you also had a tough one, hang in there girl... And think of those biggie size pants, that'll keep you on track ...

Well other than the gym I didn't do too much else today but putter around the house... Everyone was here in the afternoon, kids are home in the afternoon studying their little brains out, because it's exam week ... I am usually MORE anxious about them than they are ...

Today was a picture perfect day food wise... 1324 calories, with 18% fat, 37% carbs and 45% protein! I'll try to do the same tomorrow, 2 days in a row, that would be a first! HA...

Last edited by Ilene; 01-24-2005 at 07:27 PM.
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 07:49 PM   #12  

Hi Again! That IS a pretty picture, Sandy! Yes, the Labrada challenge is not quite the hype that BFL is, but I find that challenges are just that for me; challenges...and I become very motivated and reach goals through them. I've been waiting for the Spring Labrada Lean body challenge since September. It started Jan. 10, and unfortunately, that is the only day one can start. But it appears that members of this board challenge themselves with inventive, creative ideas right here! If I weren't involved with the L. Challenge, I'd be doing one of those. They just work well for me. Most people I've met who want to lose weight find BfL daunting, however. Everyone is just so different in regards to their approach to weight loss and maintenance. I think that's great. Kudos to everyone who can successfully figure out what works for them and stick to it! Yahoo! Have a great eve. N2L
Old 01-24-2005, 09:01 PM   #13  
Mel

Good evening and good shivering We got about 11" of snow here, and then it snowed again this late this afternoon just in time to snarl rush hour. My drive home from the gym took 45 minutes instead of the usual 8. I was starving and about ready to lean out the window and start eating snow. Today must have been "National Blow Off Your Workout Day"; when I started the morning, I had no idea how I was going to fit in MY workout, but 3 cancellations later, I'd done a real long chest workout and 40 minutes of incline walking on the treadmill.

After almost 3 months of totally clean eating, I'm starting to struggle I keep finding myself thoughtlessly popping bites, licks, and tastes, not to mention the spoonsful that I actually go looking for, into my mouth. I was getting pretty smug with myself about how well I've done, especially over the holidays which have now turned into one long drawn-out football party after another (uh, go Eagles...personally I try to ignore football). I was really enthusiastic to get back to my regular workouts after my "mix it up weeK", but now food cravings have hit. I've lost about 10 pounds during my clean streak and I sure don't want them back! I can't decide whether to allow myself a bit of slack for a few days or whether that would be a disaster. For now, the peanut butter jar and I can't be in the same part of the house.

N2L- Congratulations on doing the Labrada Challenge. I always get his newsletters and read about them, but haven't actually done one. I've discovered I do a lot better avoiding official challenges: my inner two year old always wants to emerge and shout "no" at external restraints. As you said, we all need to find what works for ourselves.

Lessismore- I'm with you on having to banish sugar and junk carbs. They just can't be part of my menu, at all. Once started, there is no stopping, so I chose to not start. It's how I lost all the excess weight in the first place, and the only way that I've been able to keep it off.

Ilene and SusanB- Stay warm!

Beiby- Enjoy your massage and strip-aerobics We want a full report!

Meg- I think you just talked me out of another kitten. We've finally been able to leave doors open now that we no longer have a dog eating toilet paper and tissues. Study hard

Hi to everyone else out there

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 09:36 PM   #14  

Height: 5'7"

Well, I'm having something akin to the world's crappiest food plan week. I have had at least double the number of calories I've planned (and a pretty generous plan at that) and I just can't seem to control my cravings. None of my strategies is working. I had, gasp, a Big Mac and fries for dinner tonight. I haven't had a Big Mac in years, and they still just aren't very good. Not that I let that stop me! Yep, it's just that bad. Plus we have big meetings at work tomorrow and Wednesday, with lots of food, and double desserts. I have been making little deals with myself all week, and it just isn't working. No work food--sure!

Now here's the bizarre thing. In spite of this, I've lost a couple pounds. And these aren't really binges, just kind of days eating lots more junky stuff than I need, little by little. Not that I'm truly starving or anything, but I'm also not really bloated or stuffed. I really hate it when it makes no sense. Normally I classify this kind of weirdness 'biological' and let it go, but this has lasted several days, about 5 I think. Starting to worry-I'm clearly going to HAVE to pay for this at some point.

I am torn between taking it easy on myself for a couple days, doing the best I can with what I have to work with, or digging in hard and fighting it. Given that in spite of the amount of refined carbs and salt I've been eating, there's been no gain, I'm leaning towards taking it easy, doing the best I can for a couple days, and then digging back in when my odds of success are a bit higher. Setting myself up for a victory instead of a defeat. Either way, I'll have a plan by tomorrow, and will stick to that. I think tonight I'll do some of that mental work from my 2005 resolutions that I keep putting off.

What a crazy rant this is! I ate too much and lost weight. Boo-hoo. But I really am scared and CONFUSED. Disappointed in myself and feeling guilty as well. I just wish it made sense. It is just so hard to figure out what to do when it just doesn't make sense. Thanks for letting me vent--this is probably the only group of people in the world who could understand this!

Mel, let us know what you decide to do. Slack can be a good thing or a disaster-my own issue for the week. Wish we could tell which it would be beforehand. Lessismore, congrats on making the decision to put a stop to it. I hate that other people are struggling too, but at least we can do it together.

Sandy: Hang in. Things get better eventually.

N2L: Good luck with the challenge! You can do it.

Ilene: Good for you on the food! I'm going to try to channel you tomorrow.

Meg: at least you didn't get so much snow that you couldn't get to the store to replace kitty's toys!

Beiby, hope your headache is better. Susan & Reg stay warm!

Robin, I'm trying to breathe. Really.

Hi to everybody else! Hope your week is going so well you just haven't had time to post yet.

Anne
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 07:18 AM   #15  

Good Morning,

Today is a freezing cold day in NH!! My gosh, we've had the heat cranked and I still feel a draft running through this old house. How is everyone doing?

Mel - I understand exactly how you feel. I find sometimes it's harder knowing the scale is down 10 pounds because a little voice deep in my head says "hey, you can afford to eat a little of this or that, it won't hurt." I do not know if this happens to you, but we all know this weight thing is just a big head game. In any case, maybe you can plan one meal out or a treat that you buy at a restaurant so you do not bring anything home, and then just start fresh with your next meal. I know you know this already, I'm just trying to think of advice I would give myself in your position. Unfortunately, giving in to food cravings often spells b-i-n-g-e for me and it sounds like that is true for you, too. Some of us just have to be strict and it ! Congratulations on your awesome weight loss and clean streak. Spend a few days deciding if you want that treat and if so, plan it, eat it, enjoy it and move on! You can get beyond these cravings. Try on your shorts again, I bet by now you can practically fit in one leg.

Anne, Well, congratulations - I guess Seriously though, I understand. I've had weeks where I've completely blown my nutrition and I do not gain a lot. Perhaps it's the week before your TOM or you're not eating as much as you fear. Like I've posted, I've had a big backslide and now am over the top of my comfortable range and I'm so upset about it. A month ago, I was probably where you are, thinking "Well, I've been really awful about my diet but my clothes still fit and my weight is still pretty normal so I guess it's OK." I gave myself permission to "take it easy" and one morning I got up and my clothes were tight and the scale was up and I could not believe it - but, duh!! I've learned the lesson and I'm dealing with it now. Some days I give in to the big mac craving, but I hope you will dig in hard and fight!!! But you are obviously an extremely intelligent person and I know you'll make the best decision for you.

Hi Meg - Keep studying! Good luck, you will be such an awesome trainer.

N2L - I've never heard of Labrada, I'll have to look it up. Congratulations on your first two weeks!

Ilene - Icicles are definitely hanging off my nose here.

Gina - thank you for your post. I'll have to find the one on genes and metabolism. Although, I think my problem is more related to Ben & Jerry. I wish I could indulge in a treat or "bad" carb more often, but you're right, it's easier to just avoid them altogether.

Sandy - Wow, extreme weather everywhere. Sorry to hear about your flooded basement. I hope the rain subsides for you.

Lessismore
lessismore is offline   Reply With Quote