Closed Thread

Old 01-23-2005, 09:05 PM   #1  

Question Soy Cheese Question?

Hello! I have a question about soy cheese. I found a brand called del sunshine at Wal-mart that you can get in shredded or slices. For 1 ounce this has 100 calories and 8 grams of fat with no fiber which adds up to 3 WW points...if your counting. I however am on the core plan and wanted to know if this counted as free. I have looked on the core list of foods under soy products and of course this brand isn't listed. I am very paranoid about doing it right and want to be sure! Help!!

Thanks,
alicia
Old 01-23-2005, 09:42 PM   #2  

Hi Alicia,

I'm very new to Core and just signed up for WW on-line last night. I'm not an expert by any means but it's my understanding from reviewing the food lists that all cheese products must be fat-free to count as a Core food. So I would think the soy cheese you bought at Wal-Mart wouldn't count as Core because of the fat grams.

Good luck to both of us as we try this new way of eating!

Deborah
Old 01-24-2005, 05:44 AM   #3  

Try going over to this website and ask. I am interested in the answer, since I thought all soy cheese was Core.
http://wwkippy.proboards40.com/
Old 01-24-2005, 07:36 AM   #4  
Southside White Sox Fan

Soy cheese is Core regardless of whether it is FF or not.
Old 01-24-2005, 08:38 AM   #5  

Hi Vickie, I'm already worried now about the accuracy of the WW site info. The list of Core foods for dairy on the site just says all FF cheese is Core and doesn't differentiate between regular and soy products. But after your post, I checked the list under soy products and you are absolutely right ... for soy products, it looks as though you can have full fat milk, cheese, and yogurt. Go figure!

I'm puzzled as to their logic though. 9 grams of fat is as much fat as regular cheese so it doesn't make sense to me why regular cheese must be FF but soy cheese can be full fat.

Now I'm worried how accurate my interpretation of all the Core food lists from the WW site really are! Yikes!

Deborah

Last edited by Starting Over Again; 01-24-2005 at 08:58 AM.
Old 01-24-2005, 09:09 AM   #6  
Southside White Sox Fan

Don't worry, Deborah! Their logic is twisted sometimes but there is logic! WW feels that light or regular full fat cheese is a trigger food. A trigger food is something you or I or the general public would overeat if given the opportunity or a food that would cause you to go binge on other things after you eat it. I could sit down and eat ALOT of regular or light cheese in my fingers. WW knows that FF cheese is not so good. It's ok in recipes but you are probably not going to pick it up in your fingers and eat too much of it. Full fat soy cheese falls in the same category. Even the full fat stuff doesn't taste great just eaten in your fingers. Now....that's not to say that it still couldn't be a trigger for you or me personally. WW has also said that even if a food IS on the Core list, if it is a trigger for you then you should avoid it even though it is Core. For me, green olives can be a trigger. I could overeat them easily. So don't panic. You are reading the lists correctly. You just have to pay attention to your body and to how you react when you eat some of these foods. Linda, on our list, can't eat couscous. She LOVES it plain in a bowl. No I remember that you thought is was pretty blech!!!! Linda can't eat it much anymore because she overeats it even though it's a Core food. Does this make sense? If it doesn't, let me know and I'll try to answer your questions.
Old 01-24-2005, 09:26 AM   #7  

deborah,

As I am looking at my core food list...under Fat-free dairy products and dairy substitutes it says

Fat-free milk, cheese and sour cream and then under this

Soy milk, cheese and yogurt (plain)

I'm going to assume the soy cheese is core.

Thanks,

Alicia
Old 01-24-2005, 10:41 AM   #8  

Hi Alicia,

I think it would appear that the soy cheese is Core. You'll have to let us know if it's any good ... or at least better than the FF regular cheese!

Thanks Vickie for the insight as to WW's somewhat skewed logic! I guess we all have our trigger foods, although cheese will never be that food for me ... well, let me take that back. I could eat the cheese dip at the Mexican restaurant all day long ... which is one reason I'm at the weight I am! I do appreciate your taking the time to fill me in ... you'll probably get sick of me and all my questions during these first days!

Deborah
Old 01-24-2005, 10:52 AM   #9  
Southside White Sox Fan

Deborah, I'd never get tired of anyone new asking questions. It grounds me and helps me remember where I was when I started.
Old 01-24-2005, 11:45 AM   #10  
Card Carrying Princess

S/C/G: 225/197/150

Arrow

Okay so I FINALLY breakdown and buy a package of grated soy cheddar - and now this! I heard it was pretty yucky and did not want to try but thought it might come in handy once in a while.

According to my information....all soy cheese is core? Not sure why it would have to be fat free - I'm sure that would make it DOUBLE YUCKY!

Frouf
Old 01-24-2005, 05:36 PM   #11  

Default Yummy!

Ok girls, I've used it twice now to make omelets and will be using it tonight to top core chili! It was wonderful in the omelets and melted very well. I tried a small piece by itself and it wasn't too bad either....so there you have it!

thanks for all your input!

alicia
Old 01-24-2005, 08:34 PM   #12  

Thanks for sharing that it tasted good, Alicia. I may look for it at my Wal-Mart this weekend ... is it in the produce/fruit area? I think that's where most of the soy dairy stuff is at my Wal-Mart. I bought some FF Mozzarella at Wal-Mart yesterday ... I don't know what I'll use it for but I have it just in case!

Deborah
Old 01-24-2005, 09:08 PM   #13  

Height: 5'7"

Speaking of FF mozzarella, after searching for months I finally found some at Albertsons yesterday. Go figger -- I never shop there so maybe that's why I never found it? I know my regular stores don't carry it though. But now I can make Vickie's glop recipe.
Old 01-25-2005, 08:31 AM   #14  
Southside White Sox Fan

Hope you like it! It was great comfort food. I can't wait to have it again from the freezer.
Old 01-25-2005, 10:32 PM   #15  

So glad to know my soy cheese is okay....I had been wondering. I have been eating it on my salads. And..I don't think I will have a issue of overeating it!!! Now if it was brie...
Closed Thread