Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-14-2005, 09:43 PM   #1  

Default Stability Balls

anyone use them? I am looking for stretches or any movenment on them besides sit up type movements. I am looking for ways to use them as a warm up or cool down stretch at the gym/
chilichick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 10:58 PM   #2  

I just got mine a week ago and I love it, I use it every day. I got the Dummies guide DVD to go with it, and I really like it because she uses free weights for your arms while you sit on the ball. She also does a really intense hip/thigh workout that I really need!!
I like the ball because it help strengthen my lower back, and it keeps all my muscles working even when I don't realize it. Plus it sends me back to childhood...I love to lay on it and stretch!!!
MNmamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 10:59 PM   #3  

Are you going to get a video or do you want a list of some of the things I do?
Old 01-15-2005, 07:49 AM   #4  

thanks so much, I will love a list of what you do. I will be using the ball at the gym. I would love to use it to stretch and stregnthen my lower back.
Old 01-15-2005, 10:11 PM   #5  

Okay, this maybe kind of long and if an excercise isn't clear just let me know and I'll try to clarify. This is what I do with that video:

warm up: sitting on the ball, stretch by keeping your upper body still and move your hips from side to side, front to back and in a circle a few times.

Put one arm overhead, keep one arm on the ball and stretch over your head, both sides.

roll forward, lifting each heel one at a time a few times. straighten one leg, keep one at a 90 degree angle, and lean forward but keep the back straight to stretch the back of your leg.

Legs: sitting on the ball, back straight, lift legs alternatly with the knees bent. Then add a move by straightening the leg you are lifting, then bending it back and lowering it. Don't let your tailbone curve under!

get on your knees and put the ball next to your left side. keeping the knees on the floor, lean all the way over the ball so your left arm is holding it into your side. Put the other arm on the ball to steady yourself. Lift your right leg straight out and touch your toes to the floor then lift up, 8 times, then pulse 8 times holding it up. Do other side

Get on your back, put the ball under your knees so your calves rest on it. Put your arms at your side. Lift your pelvis up, slowly, 8 times, then pulse holding up 8 times. Rest and do it again.

Move the ball out so your feet are on it, still in the same position. Pushing your feet on the ball, lift your pelvis again like you are putting on a pair of jeans. Pulse 8 more times. Rest and do it again. If it's too hard at first, put the ball against the wall.

Stand up, get in lunge position and put the ball nest to the inside of the ankle in the front. Put your hand on the ball to steady yourself and lunge forward slowly 8 times. Do each side twice.

Arms: get free weights and sit on the ball. take one weight in your hand and rest it on the ball next to your butt (behind you). Lift it 8 times like you are pushing it back, keeping the wrist straight. then pulse 8 times, holding it up. Then stay in that same position but bend the elbow, straighten it to flex 8 times.

Take both weights, and slide down the ball so that your shoulders are where your butt was and your body is in a plank position with your knees bent and feet on the floor. Squeeze your butt the whole time! Lift the weights above you and open your arms to your sides, and lift back up 8 times. Roll up a little to rest then do again.

Get off the ball and get on your knees with the ball in front of you. Roll forward on it so your belly is on it and your hands are touching the floor to do push ups. Hold legs stright out in back. put hands right below your shoulders and your thumbs pointed in at eachother and lower 8 times. You should look like see saw when you do it and the ball will roll forward a little.

Abs: sit on the ball and roll forward so your lower back is on the ball and your knees are bent. Put your arms out in front of you, interlock your fingers with your palms facing out, and lean straight back and then push your abs into your back as you come up, breathing out. The more you push your abs into the ball, the more you feel it.

In the same position, put your hands behind your head and repeat.

With one hand behind your head, put the other on the opposite thigh and slide it forward as you come up

Strech all the way back when you are done you stretch the abs.

That's all I can think of right now, if I come up with any more I'll let you know!

Old 01-16-2005, 02:50 PM   #6  

Thanks!