Old 01-05-2005, 01:52 PM   #1  
Gotta move my Thang!

Default Tofu Curry

Hi there,

Made this curry the other night, and found it yummy. I crave curry often, so I'm glad there's one I can make easily! Freezing tofu causes it to become porous like a sponge, and I used it because on Phase 1 thickeners like flour and corn starch are restricted. The tofu soaks up sauce just like a sponge would, and when you chew it, the sauce is released into your mouth. Nice.

serves 4

1 lb extra firm tofu, frozen and thawed
1 large head cauliflower, cut into smallish florets
1 med onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed (or to taste)
1 Tbsp Smart Balance Spread/equivalent, or butter-flavored pan spray
2 tsp curry powder, or to taste
generous 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
pinch of salt
2 cups veggie broth (not tomato, if possible, chicken broth fine too)
1/2 cup LF milk (or lf soy milk for vegans)
3 Tbsp LF cream cheese (or tofu-based cream cheese alternative for vegans)

Squeeze thawed tofu block until water is squeezed out. Dice into bite-size cubes (that's 1/2 inch in my kitchen). Saute onion with spread/pan spray in large saucepan until almost translucent, add garlic and finish saute to translucency. Add curry powder, cinnamon, onion & garlic powders, and salt, and saute until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add broth and cauliflower, bring to a simmer. Simmer until cauliflower is tender-crisp. Add milk and cream cheese, stir until smooth. Add tofu. Heat until very hot, but not boiling; if you boil this sauce it may curdle the dairy. (If so, drain the sauce out and whirr it in a blender for a minute or so, or just eat it curdled - doesn't look pretty, but tastes just as good) Let stay over low heat for 15 minutes or so to blend flavors.

Serve with a salad or other vegetable on the side, and sprinkle curry with some cashews if you like - adds crunch that I appreciate. You could add some frozen peas at the end of cooking for color, too. This should be pretty chunky, with a thin creamy sauce, but not so much sauce that it's soupy. If you're making it for Phase 2 or the Fam isn't on SBD, it can be served over brown rice or with whole wheat tortillas/chapattis.

Hope you like it!
Solarmama
solarmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 02:14 AM   #2  
Razz

Yay! I'm going to try this as soon as I have a free evening to cook. Thanks for posting!
tanrazbury is offline   Reply With Quote