Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 12-27-2004, 11:02 AM   #1  

Default constipation problem!!

wat type of diet should i be following if i have constipation???
i dont think high protein diet would work, would it???

if i stick to an all fruit and vege diet, wouldnt that make me fatter since fruits are sweet.

so where should i start???
cshuyee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 08:47 PM   #2  

Cool

If you have constipation, you're not eating enough fiber. You could try something like metamucil (think it comes in a powder or liquid) or some other over the counter varieties. Eating fruits and vegetables are good for you. If you don't overdue the fruits, the sweetness won't hurt. Apples are a good bet for adding fiber. I (when I'm OP) follow a low calorie diet which includes proteins and vegs and fruits. I also eat some high fiber crackers - like Kalvi, rye crisp, always taking into account their calories in my total calorie count ( I keep a diet journal). Also drinking lots of water and exercising helps you keep regular. Hope this helps.
sapphire9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 09:50 PM   #3  
losin' 1lb at a time :D

I have a VERY bad cause of Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Inflammatory Bowel as well so I'm always blocked up. Fruits are GREAT for you as are veggies. Just exercise to balance it all out.

When I get blocked I usually just slow down red meat and I eat alot of veggies and fruits anyways but I up my exercise about an extra 30 minutes a day. I drink ALOT of water/fluids (3 liters a day)and wind up taking a couple of glasses of metamucil as well. (The powered stuff mixes well with Apple juice )

Try adding whole grains to your diet and avoid refined flours and enriched white breads.
McCupcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 06:19 PM   #4  
Phil 4:8

hello,
i have hdad IBS since the late 80s. i have had to take meds, metamucil and water. i have found by eating 5-12 dried prunes a day with about 8-1- glasses of water has keept me regular and not constipated. you need a high fiber diet. lots a grains, fruits, vegtables, no processed foods. i know it's hard. but constipation is caused by not enought liguids (water in the best) in our diet. i have stopped having to take meds this way and using metamucil (yuk). i don't cate what brand you use and how you mix it, it's still gritty. have a great sunday. give it a try. what have you got to lose. HA-HA. your doing this to get yourself healthe. RIGHT. you are worth the effort just because you are you. hang there things WILL get better.
kind regards,
mary
craftymom2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 08:59 AM   #5  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Hi,

I eat fruits, vegetables and salads. I have also found it helpful to eat kellogs frosted mini wheats (bite size) one serving. I eat them dry like a snack, and just count them into my calories allowed for the day. As the others have said ~ drinking plenty of water and getting exercise helps.

Hope this helps.
glynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 02:40 PM   #6  

Hi -

I'm late to thread, but saw something missing from all the great info already mentioned. (I also suffer from IBS.) What has helped me was to add Bran to my diet. I worked up to a tablespoon with cereal, I even add the oat bran to oatmeal, I also add wheat bran on the mayo on a sandwich. It's become a way of life around here. I found this last two years with the extra bran in my diet that I don't suffer as much from the diarreah part of the IBS either.

Hubby started eating bran with his cereal last year and hasn't been constipated since.

I've also tried the metamucil, but I prefer the Benefiber brand. It mixes well with coffee and hot chocolate. The ads on tv even show folks drinking it in plain old water... I just haven't tried that tho. I think my mind would believe I tasted it.

Allie
pyxie is offline   Reply With Quote