100 lb. Club - OT: Jill's Dental Surgery

View Full Version : OT: Jill's Dental Surgery

Sheila53
10-20-2004, 08:58 PM
Just wanted to say that I'll be thinking of you tomorrow. Get a good night's sleep and remember, take all the drugs they give you. :)

boiaby
10-20-2004, 10:00 PM
Good luck Jilly!! Remember, you're gonna be just fine. Enjoy the sedation :crazy: and let us know how it went as soon as you can. :grouphug: :goodluck:

Love ya bunches!
Beverly

jiffypop
10-20-2004, 10:12 PM
oh no!!!!!! take ALL the drugs they give you... plan to be waited on hand and foot. for at least a month.

good luck, darlin. do you need some nurses to come and help???? i'm sure we could find a few volunteers!!!

Br00klyn
10-20-2004, 10:47 PM
Jilly :grouphug: You'll be fine my dear! I'll be thinkin' of you... And I agree with everyone else... TAKE ALL THE DRUGS! Check in as soon as you can! ;)

Jillegal
10-20-2004, 11:34 PM
Awwww, you guys are so sweet :^:

I've been trying to relax by listening to the oldies station. Gloria Gaynor has just finished belting out "I will Survive" were my ears deceiving me or have the lyrics really changed?

First I was afraid
I was petrified
Kept thinking I could never live
without those teeth inside
But I spent so many nights
thinking how they did me wrong
I grew strong
I learned how to carry on
and now I'm here
in that special place
I'll walk in to find the dentist there
with bravery upon my face
I should have had them yanked before
I should have done it when I was young
If I had known for just one second
I'd be about to burst a lung.

Go on now go - walk out the door
can't turn around now
'cause they're just not welcome anymore
I'll put aside my fears, I promise not to cry
you think I'd crumble
you think I'd lay down and die
Oh no, not I
I will survive
as long as I get drugs
I know I will stay alive
I've got all my life to live
I've got all my floss to give
and I'll survive
I will survive

It'll take all the strength I have
not to fall apart
to do my best to stay calm
and not let out a nervous fart
oh I've spent so many nights
just feeling sorry for myself
I used to cry
Now I hold my head up high
and you'll see me
somebody new
I'm not that freaked out little person
still afraid of you
and I'll survive
I will survive! :smug:

missaprylj
10-20-2004, 11:46 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: I love you so much!

Good luck! :grouphug:

Raelynn
10-20-2004, 11:50 PM
:lol: Jill! That is the best :lol:

Good luck! We'll be thinking about you!

Sheila53
10-21-2004, 12:27 AM
:lol: OMG, I'm glad I wasn't drinking something when I read your song. I would have spit it out all over my keyboard. I even sang this for my DH who was laughing like crazy.

Annie-Rose
10-21-2004, 01:24 AM
Hope it goes well. You crack me up!!!!!
love Annie xxxxxx

glynne
10-21-2004, 08:53 AM
Thinking of you today ~ you'll do fine!! Thanks for the smile with your version of ~ I will survive!!

Sandi
10-21-2004, 11:28 AM
You are absolutely TOO funny!!!

Good luck today Missy!! I have a good feeling that you will come out with FLYING colors!!!!!!!!!!!

Goddess Jessica
10-22-2004, 02:10 AM
Jilly! You make me laugh! Girl, you'll do great. Piece of cake - ok, maybe no cake for awhile. Piece of smoothie!

Jillegal
10-22-2004, 11:16 AM
I survived. :D

lessofsarahtolove
10-22-2004, 01:40 PM
Well, THAT'S good news! :lol:

These are for you: :balloons: Here's hoping the drugs are helping. :)

Sandi
10-22-2004, 04:15 PM
Glad to hear it!!!! :D

Tell us the truth...how bad was it???

Jillegal
10-25-2004, 05:44 PM
Thanks again for all your well wishes my dears! Now that the worst is over and I'm back at work (how kind of the tooth fairy to leave me dollar coins under my keyboard then again, Canadian dollar coins are called "Loonies" so it could have been a veiled insult), I do feel a bit sheepish (a kind of "what was all the fuss about, for heaven's sake?" thing). :o

Sorry, Jiffy, but I couldn't milk it for a whole weekend, let alone a month. In fact, I challenge you to meet my bravery and get yours out now too! :devil: I'll admit to relief in that I don't have a drawn-out horror story, but that doesn't mean I'm not going to let you know what did happen :p

On the morning of the surgery my daughter accompanied me (since the pre-op instructions stipulate that a responsible person must drive you home and stay with you for 3-4 hours.) After I gave all my info to the receptionist, the nurse asked my daughter to come with her (I figured she was going to give her a little lecture on post-op care). However, a few moments later my daughter came quickly out of the room saying "She thinks I'M the one having the surgery!" For a moment I considered saying soothingly "Now dear, don't fight it, its for the best", but I quickly admitted to being the patient. The nurse explained how in most cases its the parent bringing in the child for surgery rather than the other way around. :lol:

Once in the chair, the nurse said she was going to explain the whole process to me, but I interrupted and said that unless she was going to tell me the little jackhammer and buzzsaw on the table was going to be used for office renovations, then I'd rather not know and could she please just bring on the drugs! Valium came first, then the laughing gas, then the tapping on my hand and the good news that I had nice plump veins (can't remember the last time I was grateful for any plumpness on my body). She said I'd feel a little prick and a cold feeling run up my arm....next thing I knew I was awake and a Visa receipt was being put in front of me. I suppose they make you sign while you're still groggy so you can't fully comprehend the cost (I believe I now know who owns the Hummer in the parking lot). It all went so fast - I don't even remember opening my mouth or seeing the dental surgeon at all! :dizzy:

I was told to bite down on the gauze for an hour and to "keep ahead of the pain" (meaning I could take the painkillers every 2 hours if need be). The nurse then walked me to my waiting car and my daughter drove me home. Just a little over an hour had passed. I don't remember too much about Thursday, other than my son-in-law arriving with a bag of baby food (Gerber's Strawberry Dessert is now my treat of choice, while the jars of greenish-yellow mixed vegetable will be donated to the closest food bank). I was feeling no pain and just wanted to sleep, so I sent them home and remembered not to lie on my back (so I wouldn't choke on blood). A couple of hours later I was awakened by pain and found my pillow all sticky with blood streaked drool. Staggering to the bathroom I looked in the mirror and saw someone who could play Vita Corleone in an all-female production of The Godfather. I took out the bloodsoaked gauze, popped a couple of pills and soon passed out again. All in all, the actual surgery day was not as bad as I had expected.

I'm not saying the weekend was one of my most pleasant, but that was to be expected. I'm going to be just fine - the bleeding has subsided, along with the swelling, the pain is manageable, there's no evidence of dry socket and I think my db is grateful for having had some peace and quiet (it was sore to move my jaw to talk much). I graduated from baby food to scrambled eggs after one day and even went for a long walk on Sunday. So, all in all, it was pretty easy-going. Then again, I'm such a brave li'l trouper ;)

And you all said it would be so terrible! :p

lessofsarahtolove
10-25-2004, 06:30 PM
Pretty funny, Jill! :lol: Well, it seems that all's well that ends well.....I'm very glad that you survived the ordeal with your sense of humor (if not your dignity -- hello ghoulish apparitions that turn out to be YOU! :eek: ) intact. And you ARE a brave little trooper. :yes:

Heal well.

boiaby
10-25-2004, 06:40 PM
Yay Jilly! I'm so proud of you! Now aren't you glad to have that over with?! Thank goodness you have no new horror stories to add to all the rest. Thanks for the update, I'm glad to hear that all went well.

Beverly

Br00klyn
10-26-2004, 12:35 AM
Jill - Now what did I tell ya? ;) Glad to hear that everything went well for you and all is good now! :D

So very proud of you... you lil' soldier! :lol: