Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 10-18-2004, 02:06 PM   #1  
Jennifer

Default Spinning?

Has anybody tried a spinning class? I'd like to try the one at our gym (it looks like both a lot of fun and a great workout), but I'm a little nervous I wouldn't be able to keep up! I've worked my way up to pretty good cardiovascular fitness, but I haven't been on the bike in a long time. Should I "train" a little before venturing into the class?

I'd appreciate any advice!
teapotdynamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 06:38 AM   #2  
agility-nut

S/C/G: 258/see ticker/170

Height: 5'9

I too just joined a gym with spinning classes and I would love to do it, but too afraid. I watched it one time and it looked liked they were about to pass out. While I was watching, I was hoping someone in the class would stop or something, but they just kept on going the whole hour, I got tired from just watching.

Janis
250/227/170
Janis427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 08:01 AM   #3  
Meg

Don't be afraid to try spinning! You can do it at your own personal level - believe me, in spinning classes at my gym there are all levels of fitness (and weight).

A spinning bike has a knob that adjusts how much tension is placed on the wheel and you can adjust it from virtually no tension to a lot. The instructors in our classes talk about Level One, Level Two, Level Three and Level Four. These are all subjective levels of exertion and will differ from person to person -- Level One is comfortable and you can do it all day. Level Two is a little more challenging, Level Three is challenging and you can only do it for a brief time and Level Four is what they call "very uncomfortable". You adjust the knob so that you are working at whatever level the instructor tells you -- but it's totally personal and up to you.

For example, the instructor will say that the class is on a level road and we're just pedaling along at 70 RPM at Level One. So you set your knob for not a lot of resistance and it's pretty easy. Then she might say there's a hill coming up for 60 seconds at Level Three and so you put a little more tension on the knob and sprint for 60 seconds. Then there might be a recovery period at Level Two and so on.

No one has any idea how much tension you have on your bike. In fact, no one's paying any attention to anyone else! Even if you do the first few classes at a very easy pace just to get your feet wet, nobody would have any way of knowing. That might be the best way to "train" for it -- try it out at a slow and easy pace.

Spinning is a lot of fun and is a great cardio workout since it's interval training, which is best for fat-burning. The instructor will be happy to help you adjust the seat and handlebars on the bike when you go in for your first class and show you how to adjust the tension. I hope you both give it a try!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 08:39 AM   #4  
Jennifer

Thanks, Meg! Your post was very reassuring. I don't know why (because now that I think of it, this would be both absurd and dangerous) I thought the resistance was controlled by the instructor. The classes at my gym, Crunch, are probably similar to yours, as I think you use Bally's & they're owned by the same company. I think they purposely try to play up the "intimidation factor" by playing really loud music, yelling, etc. Anyway, it seems like fun, and I'm really looking to mix up my workout, because I feel like I'm in a rut.

And a big "woohoo" to interval training. I do it on the elliptical and the stairmaster, and I love it.

Thanks again!
teapotdynamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 08:46 AM   #5  
Meg

Yep, I'm Ballys so it has to be pretty similar. Trust me, no one knows how fast or intensely you're going and you're totally in control at all times. And the lights are down low, so it's really pretty private. Please come back and post after you try it -- I bet you're going to love it!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 09:29 AM   #6  
Running Babe

When I have done spinning, the always say "do what you feel is comfortable". My gym does the Les Mills group fitness classes, the music is very good usually. Haven't done spinning in a while though, I should get back to it.

Cheers!

Ali
Sweater Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 10:07 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 144/137/128

Height: 5 ft. 4.5 in.

Default Just some more advice

Hi, the advice Meg and others gave you was great. I just have something to add. Your butt may be sore or numb after the first few tries. If you have padded cycling shorts or a seat cushion you put on your bike, it may help. Some people just tough it out. Don't let this stop you from trying, just be prepared. Also, if you get a chance, try to talk to the instructor at some point maybe after she/he has instructed a class and tell them your concerns...you want to try but you're a little apprehensive...they will tell you. Ask if you should use a cushion or padding...I don't use it anymore and I am fine...some people start without it and get used to it. They may have a beginner's class or instruction. It's always a good idea to tell the instructor you are new and it is true that everyone will be focused on themselves so go at your own pace. Sometimes funny things happen , like squeaking of bikes, shoelaces getting caught in pedals (make sure you tuck them in to your shoes), pedals falling off, etc. If it happens to you, just laugh, and ask for help if you need it. Things have happened to me but everyone knows me now and I am not embarrassed if anything happens...we just laugh about it. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Last edited by Musicgal; 10-25-2004 at 10:11 AM.
Musicgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 10:28 AM   #8  

hi my first posting.well i same thing ,i saw people spinning .looks very-------- tough . wanted to try but scared, now i will try,thnx meg and gal gotta go i m at work
reenu123 is offline   Reply With Quote