General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 10-05-2004, 06:24 AM   #1  

Default Can psychics really see the past/future?

I’m sure everyone has seen the signs for “$5 Psychic Readings” in their town or while traveling elsewhere. What I wanted to discuss here were your thoughts on using psychics for more than just personal entertainment, more specifically in police and detective work.

There’s been documented cases in the past where police haven’t been able to solve a crime, at which point they turn to a psychic for help.
What I find the most interesting is when the psychics they hire actually solve the case.

What are your thoughts on this? What about using psychics to help solve some of the current investigations (such as the Peterson or Hacking
trials?)

I’m not an expert myself on the topic, but I’ve been learning a bit more from a new show on Court TV called Psychic Detectives. It’s on Wednesday’s at 9:30pm in case you want to watch it too.
Old 12-03-2004, 12:57 AM   #2  
Future Size 6

It's a tough call. I believe in psychic phenomena, but I also know that there are not only scammers out there, there are a lot of folks who would raise heck about the police dealing with psychics more than they do, whether it's because they think it's evil, or because they don't believe it will work.

In short, I don't know. I just didn't want you to have no answers to your thread.
Old 12-03-2004, 09:37 AM   #3  

The only "true" psychic I think I've ever met wouldn't take any money for her services.
Old 12-04-2004, 02:29 PM   #4  
Moderator - 30 Somethings

All I know about it I've seen on Psychic Detectives on Court TV. There is one woman on there who gives me the chills. She does not want any info on the person, she just asks for an item the person owned. Something they would have close to them. She then gives details of the crime that will make your hair stand up. I am VERY skeptical but I cannot explain this woman. Unless the whole show is a complete scam.
Old 12-14-2004, 10:49 AM   #5  

Coast to Coast am radio program has psychics on all the time. There will be one on this week. Sometimes I like to write down the predictions and check em out. The best one si a dude who predicts earthquakes. He's really good. Can't remember his name though.
www.coasttocoastam.com
julie
Old 12-14-2004, 12:17 PM   #6  
Uber-Moderator!!

I remembered seeing something on this on "20/20" not too long ago so checked their website and found this...

http://abcnews.go.com/2020/story?id=124301&page=3

Quote:
More Myth-Busting
Stossel & 20/20 Sort Common Sense From Nonsense
By John Stossel

MYTH #7 — Do Psychics Have Psychic Powers That Solve Crimes?

Lots of people believe that psychics can use special powers to help police solve crimes or find missing people.

Kathy Kupka wanted to believe it. Her younger sister Kristine had been going out with a man Kathy didn't trust, and when Kristine didn't return home after getting in that man's car, Kathy suspected her sister had been killed.

In her desperation to find her sister, she put up a billboard offering a $25,000 reward.

So-called psychics started calling her. And she hired some of them, trying anything she could to find her sister. She even contacted one of America's most famous psychics, Sylvia Browne.

She thought Browne would be the one to help her. "I was super-hopeful. I was like, 'oh that's it. We're definitely going to find her. There's no doubt in my mind.'"

Kupka got on a TV show where Browne was demonstrating her ability to talk to the dead. Browne quickly said Kristine was communicating to Browne, and that Kristine was dead, in New Mexico.

Police checked out Browne's lead, and found nothing.

We wanted to talk to Browne. She agreed, and then backed out. She told us she's solved thousands of cases and never charges grieving families for her services. Several years ago, however, a magazine examined 35 cases Browne had been involved in. They couldn't find proof that she had solved any.

The National Center for Missing and Exploited Children and the FBI also maintain that psychics have never helped solve a single missing person case.

We helped Kathy give it one more try. We asked Kathlyn Rhea, a famous psychic who police work with regularly and credit her with sometimes helping them.

We paid Rhea $1,800 for her services. She explained to Kathy and the private investigator Kathy hired, that Kristine had been murdered.

She was very confident about it, and about where her body was.

She told us to look for: A road that branches off like a Y-shaped divide in the road. What looks like a country church. Something with the letter S. We tried to follow her instructions: But there were lots of Ys in the road; signs with an S.

Rhea wouldn't take us to the spot she was describing.

Mark Klaas , father of 12-year-old Polly, who was abducted and murdered in California, also went to psychics to try to find his daughter. None of them found his daughter's body.

But Kathlyn Rhea later went on a television tabloid program and said she was certain they had the right man because he looked the way she had thought. He was outraged and described psychics as predators who capitalized on families' grief.

Our search for Kathy's sister, following Rhea's instructions, proved fruitless. Rhea says animals must have eaten the body.
Closed Thread