South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 09-17-2004, 07:03 AM   #1  
I vant to draw your blood

Default TGIF Beach Chat 09/17

Morning Chicks~~

The spider siege continues. Even after spraying. I woke up at 3:30 this morning because my arm was itching like crazy. Got up to inspect and I have at least 9 new spider bites. I'm feeling just yucky! I made a doctor's appointment for this afternoon (mainly to discuss weight) but I'm sure going to mention the bites. He may want to give me a jab in the posterior with some steroids.

DD caught one of the little SOBs and we've tentatively ID'd it as a young wolf spider.

Looks like the worst of Ivan is past us....we'll still probably have some heavy rain and wind, but we survived!

That's about it for me...

Hope you all have a great day on the Beach!

Mamacita
Old 09-17-2004, 07:13 AM   #2  

Oh, mama, that is awful! I hate spiders! They are little . My friend once got a huge swelled up nose because of a spider bite. I freak out when I see one. I hope your drs. apptmt goes welland I hope those nasty spiders go away.

I get mosquitos that fly in thru my a/c which I still need. And those little buggers are hard to kill! Boston is getting hit with the rest of Ivan today, so I have lots of rain to look forward to. I am dying to get a pair of polka dot rainboots, but have yet to find my dream pair. Until then, I do NOT enjoy the rain. (although I have a thing for cute umbrellas)

I got woken up by the calm, soothing sounds of a metal being cut right outside my window at 6:49 am. Needless to say, the mayor's office is going to hear about this. They aren't supposed to start until 7, but I had a test last night, and really really needed my rest. I hate construction.

I have been so badly falling OP. Thank goodness I haven't gained any weight, but stressing over the LSAT, having more and more to do, is not conducive to eating healthy. I am giving myself today to ease back into Phase 1, and then I am going to hit it HARDCORE. I need to go check out Phase 1 Phor Phatties. That'll help.

Ok, chicas, enjoy this raining beach day!

Kelly
Old 09-17-2004, 07:18 AM   #3  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Good morning. Mamacita, I'm glad Ivan is passing through and you are OK. I just checked him on the weathermap and saw where he's heading. Those damned spiders are another big worry for you.

Well, I survived my afternoon "off" and didn't run up the Mastercard bill too high. I need to figure out something else to do with my relief time other than shop! Maybe I should just hole up in my sewingroom and sew something exciting!

The woman we interviewed for our Church liked us! She is going to accept the position but choses not to live in the Rectory. She and her husband will buy a house in the area and we will try to rent or sell the Rectory. Anybody want a five bedroom Victorian house in a town of 1000 people? This could take a while.

My rehearsal was cancelled last night as TED had a family crisis! See, I did learn his name. We're rescheduled for Sunday afternoon. I hope this is not a pattern because we are now eight weeks from production and have not rehearsed even once.

Today promises to be a fairly quiet day as I've nothing on the calendar! I am going to give Hershey some extra cuddles. Tomorrow she goes for her pre-natal haircut and she won't be quite as bear like.

Grab a coffee and join me on the deck. Sit on a towel because those chairs are wet from last night's rain!

What's happening in your neck of the Beach!
Old 09-17-2004, 07:58 AM   #4  

Height: 5'-2"

Oh, Mamacita! That's horrible! I hope you can get rid of those little buggers.
I'm glad you survived the weather!

Kelly, get back on track, girl! And best of luck with your LSATs!

Ruth, at one time, I would have loved to have bought that house! It sounds beautiful.
Give Hershey a cuddle for me.

I'm having lunch with my oldest girlfriend (and her two-year old, damnit), and then we're driving over to see her new house. With all the stuff going on this summer, I haven't seen her for months. She's not very nurturing, like my other friends. I read something once about a woman who, when her Mother was dying, discovered that she was dividing people into two groups. Those who reached out to help or just hug, and those who didn't. I know I shouldn't be critical, but it's hard not to do that. This woman and I have been "best friends" for twenty years, and yet I can get more nuturing from someone I barely known.
No matter (sort of). We'll have fun together. (damned two-year old)

I hope everyone has a wonderful day!

Extra hugs for Laurie and Bunna...
Old 09-17-2004, 08:31 AM   #5  
Ready to Change

S/C/G: 170/160/125

Height: 5 ft

quick check in this morning. I am tried from the concert last night which was terrible. We did not get home til 1:30 and I was up at 7 to face the first of the kids. Other than that nothing. Although I do need to make a list for the store and get some healthy food in and smarten up. Well must go the last wee one is coming in the door. I will be back later.
Old 09-17-2004, 08:57 AM   #6  

Hi all, Quick note because I need to give the dog a whiplash walk before the rain hits.

Ellis, I know what you mean about friends who aren't very nurturing. I am also meeting a long-time friend for lunch (no 2-year old though! - bring crayons so you can have a conversation) and she sounds similar to yours. She is smart and fun but not someone who hugs or supports. There have been times when we have each wondered why we remain friends, but there is something we each bring to the table that makes the friendship weigh more than the differences.

Mamacita, the thought of a spider crawling on me and having a snack at night would keep me awake! Ugh! Hope you can get relief from the bites. Are there traps for those things?

kvixen, good luck on your LSATs. Cut yourself some slack until you get through. Focus can't be in two places at once.

Ruth, good news about the pastor accepting the position. I'd love a woman pastor.

Little chick, maybe some strong coffee will help? Hope your wee ones still have naps and you can close your eyes with them!

Everyone else, have a great day. I've been going off plan with on plan foods - too much ricotta cremes, and don't even START with those warm brownies. Must regain my focus today and NOT MAKE BROWNIES!! I'm going to cut up some veg for evening nibbles since I know that's a bad time. Also trying a new recipe for Feta Tzatziki which should be a nice change.
Old 09-17-2004, 10:14 AM   #7  

Heidi: Mmmmm, Feta Tzatiki....yum!
Little chick: Hope you can get some sleep!
Ellis: Hope you can get in a good chat with your friend. I know some people who have toddlers (I have 2 right now) forget that the world doesn't revolve around their kids.
Ruth: Glad to hear you have one thing settled (the rector), you sure have a lot on your plate, does your head spin when you close your eyes? Lol! Hope you get to rehearse lots in 8 weeks!
Kvixen: I'd love a cool pair of wellies too. My friend from England has a few sweet pairs and if she didn't have giant flippers instead of feet, I'd steal a pair!
Mamacita: Can you set traps for those suckers? Wolf spiders are huge, I really feel for you. I hope they all go back to their hidey holes and leave you guys alone.

As for myself, feeling a little guilty. After the kids were in their cages (bed) I gorged on cookies. I planned on only having 2 or 3, but ended up eating the whole 350 gram pack. Well, here's for a better day! It's pouring out again, so I'll wait till cabin fever really hits, then force the kids out in the rain again.
Hope everyine after me on the thread has a good day and a good cupa sumthing warm! (sorry if I forgot anyone)
Old 09-17-2004, 10:41 AM   #8  
A Lily from my yard!

Mama you need to call Cook's pest control. The guy was at our house the other night to talk about our termite protection (wood house now instead of brick!) any way he said liquid spray will not kill spiders unless you spray it right on them. They use a fogger type spray that goes out and then settles so it will kill those little pests! At our other house we just sold I have had wolfe spiders the whole time and had a bug man that came and sprayed the whole 2 yrs we lived there and then find out 2 days ago the reason they never left was because when they walk through poison it does not kill them cause their bodies are up off the ground! Well now I am going to go with Cook's inside and out because my other bug man only uses liquid! Now that I have wasted all that money on nothing for 2 years! Hope this helps you as I have been living with bites from them for 2 years!
We survived the storms with no trees down! Lot's of debrit everywhere! Lot's of rakin and limb pickin up but am so thankful that we didn't lose anything! PTL!
We close on our old house today! Finally! Another OP day today! Hope you all have one as well! I know we can all make it through the w-end as well. Another celebration dinner for DD turning 13! I'll stay OP no bread!!!!!!!!!! lol
Have a great day all!
Old 09-17-2004, 10:54 AM   #9  

Good morning everyone!

I am still here and today I am not just going to lurk! The scale is headed in a positive direction though the only weight I "count" is the weekly one at weight watchers which won't be until this Sunday.

We are going to dinner at friends' house tonight; the husband of the couple is a gourmet cook as well as a fine mixer of martinis. Wish me luck. I have no idea how his wife stays so skinny.

Mamacita - yuk! I hate spiders too (though haven't seen anyone here volunteer that they like the little buggers).

Kvixen - When do you take the LSAT? Mine was many, many years ago as I have now been practicing law since 1986. The only thing I can tell you is that doughnuts, chocolate or whatever else is your weakness won't improve your score. I am sure that is still true after all these years. Personally, I find that when I eat right I have more mental clarity.

Ruth - As you know, I have been gone for a while. When are the granddogs due? I swear, you are one of the busiest people I know -- does anyone ever have the nerve to refer to you as someone who "doesn't work"?

Ellis - Have fun with your friend (and I totally understand about the 2 year old). I am not "huggy" myself, just wasn't raised that way but I hope that people find me empathetic and caring anyway. Guess everybody is different. I don't know that I really have a "best friend" any more because I get different things from different people.

Heidi - Vats ziss Tzatiki?

Chubbamuma - I have a cookie problem too. When my partner brings them into the house I have a hard time stopping. Fortunately (for me ) she is beginning to develop a weight problem for the first time in her life. I don't know what it is about cookies. I just know that I can't start because I can't stop. However, today is a new day so you can put that behind you and jump right back on the program. Remember what they say: nothing tastes as good as thin feels!

Bamiegirl - Good to hear from someone down south that she survived the weather. Staying OP through all of that is an inspiration to us all.

Have a great day everyone.
Old 09-17-2004, 11:54 AM   #10  
Conquering with SBD

Good morningin everyone...and I am truly TGIF. The boss started o SBD this week and doesn't hid his emotions well - I guess he doesn't hide them at all. Need I say more?

Mama - Hope that the dr. is able to help with the psider bites. I suffer from any insect bites to the point of blood poisoning most times. I have a standing order to get to the hospital when I get bitten, but I have to admit, spider bites are the worst.

Kelly - Congrats on not gaining weight. BUT, make sure that you get back OP before you do start. I went badly off program last weekend and was so happy that my weight did not go up. Unfortunately, I had a delayed reaction and have struggled all week to get the 2 pound gain off. I managed by this morning, but it ended up to need some damage control Get at it, firl.

lc - Take care today and get some rest over the weekend. Remember OP, OP, OP...

Ruth - Great news to hear that you have a new person for the church. The house...hmmmm...I see the problem. What are the house sales like in your area?

ellis - Have fun at lunch. I know what you mean about people who are nurturing and those who are not. I have found the same thing. Unfortunately, I tend to fall into the category of the unnurturing...but I am thinking about people often and still concerned about their problems. Growing up, my family was not very emotional and I was always taught to be there for people when they need, but still have difficulty in showing and displaying emotions. But, I guess when you put things in perspective, society needs both types of people. I tend to be much better in emergency situations because my head takes over, and my heart feelings are put on hold (generally come out when I am by myself). Just my 2 cents worth, that may be the situation into which your friend also falls.

Heidi - I like your phrase: off program with on program foods. I find it really difficult to balance the foods that are OP with my own body metabolism. I have been eating the OP cheesecake for desserts this week. When I look back on my weight loss charts, the weeks that I have indulged in that, my weight is slowed. I thought that i would try it one more time in hopes that ricotta cheese consumption is not the problem. I had never had ricotta cheese before SGB, but I love it.

Bamigirl - Well I guess the -0 temps in the winter are good for something We seldom have trouble with bugs and stuff like that except mosquitoes, flies, wasps and bees in the summer. The cold temps take care of the rest. I just don't count that as a bonus when wer are experiencing -40 temps, though.

SoCal - Congrats on the weight loss. Just remember to keep OP and not spoil what you have worked hard to achieve - NO more cookies!!!!! Take care and have a great weekend.

Me - Seems to be the same today as been all week. Busy at work and running around trying to get stuff done at night..I actually ironed last night.

We got home from work late last night because one of the kids said he would go straight home from work and let the monsters out of their kennels. When we got home, the kid (wondering who the monster is) was no where in sight. When I let the dogs out of the kennels, they usually run past me and greet DH. One of them turned around and started to fuss at his kennel. I felt his blanket and poor thing had wet blankets. When I felt the blanket in the other kennel, it, too was wet. OK...more work for the evening. The one dog kept at me until his kennel was clean. The other dog ignored the whole situation until this morning...went into her kennel, scratching and sniffing the blanket to see if I had done anything with it. I'm telling you, they are worse than kids.

Other than that and trying to catch up on chores at home, life is pretty calm right now. I'm back OP, and have lost the weight that I gained last weekend. I have a dr. appointment on Monday, wo will find out the difference in the blood chemistry between pre-SBD (May) and now. I am hoping that there will be a substantial and positive difference.

Hope everyone has a great weekend...an OP weekend.
Old 09-17-2004, 12:22 PM   #11  

Hello Chicks,

MAMACITA- Sorry to hear about spiders. My daughter got bit by one last week and I had to take her to the pediatrician who immediately put her on antibiotics and benadryl. (Cost me a whopper of 120 bucks!!!!!) Looked pretty gross for the first couple of days. But after prayer and meds she is all cleared up now. It was weird cause the bite looked like a target sign with a red center and a bluish circle surrounding it. Never encountered things like that until we moved to AR a year and a half ago.
I'm going on a retreat this afternoon and praying that I will be able to stay OP this weekend.

Hope everyone down south faired Ivan okay. I have many friends in LA and was glad to see they were spared the worst of it. Sorry for those in others states who were hit harder.

Glad to see that I'm not the only one who's weight fluctuates on this diet. I seemed to have plateaued and am hoping that won't continue. I think maybe it's the ricotta and cottage cheese. Wonder if it could also be the sodium in all those milk products? Any thoughts on that?

Heidi- Let us know how the tzatziki turns out. I have a recipe for one made out of FF plain yogurt. Yum, yum.

Edie
Old 09-17-2004, 12:23 PM   #12  
Almost 20 lbs gone 4ever!

Hi ladies! Just a quick drive-by, as things are CRAZY here! Made it through Rosh Hashana OP!!! Skipped the challah (egg bread), one of my favorites, along with the matzo ball soup -- which was HARD! We ran out to drive back beore dessert, which was smart!

We're gone again tomorrow -- off to DH's football game out of town, baby naming Sun. in KC and then back home for just one day before my biz trip to Chicago!

I'll try to check in Monday!!

Hope everyone has a FABULOUS weekend!!!

lauren
Old 09-17-2004, 12:26 PM   #13  

I WILL manage a quick post before morning is over! Busy day at work today. I got pulled into meetings before 8 and it hasn't stopped since. I'm doing well and expect to make it to the gym after work. Last night we had a PTA picnic which took up the evening. Since everyone brought their own food, I didn't have to worry about the food. It was a fun evening with lots of Cub Scout friends to talk to.

I got a chance to explain South Beach to my manager yesterday. She was asking how I had managed to lose so much weight so I told her briefly about it. Maybe we will get another convert!
Old 09-17-2004, 12:28 PM   #14  

Only a quick second today, trying to accomplish all the work I put off all week. And write content for the website today. Tomorrow is the twin club fall sale, working it for the club and looking for some gently used toys for the twins.

And never fear, I got some veggies in last night. And more water. The acid taste is gone and I know I am back on track. Going to try to only weigh every other day for the next week. I *really* want to get into the next decade this month.

Good wishes to all, want to reply to everyone. Take care and be OP today!!
Old 09-17-2004, 01:04 PM   #15  

Height: 5'-2"

Oh, dear! I'm so sorry... I hope I didn't offend any of you talking about "the damned 2 year old!" (Chubbamuma! )
It's only that I would rather have been alone with my friend. (she felt the same way, believe me! ) Certainly some of my friends had to put up with my own children when they were toddlers, and I appreciated it!
I think now that my own children are older, I'm completely spoiled, and having lunch with a boisterous toddler is no treat. Right now I have a RAGING headache. We were barely able to converse, but spent most of the time picking stuff up off the floor or chasing the kid around the restaurant.

I'm with you there, Heidi... my friend and I have only few things in common, and it's just enough to hold the friendship together.

Bamiegurl, I'm glad you're okay!

SoCal, enoy your meal this evening! If he's a gourmet cook, take a look at the portion sizes... maybe that's why the wife stays so skinny.

Peggy, you ARE nurturing! You don't need to be "huggy" and "touchy-feely" to be nurturing. You're a kind person, and it shows!! That's good enough for me.

I've just taken two Naproxens (Ruth, you've got to try them), and they've already kicked in. I'm going to curl up with a P.G.Wodehouse.

Hugs for all of you...
Closed Thread