PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 09-08-2004, 10:31 PM   #1  
I vant to draw your blood

Question Confused about this PCOS stuff

I first heard about PCOS several years ago and once I saw all the symptoms listed, my first thought was "that's me!" My GP brushed me off and told me that all I need to do to lose weight is to "eat less and exercise more". I tried that and all I did was build muscle under all my fat!

A year later, I went to my GYN and she did some bloodwork. Everything came out "normal" except my cholesterol/triglycerides levels which were slightly elevated. I harangued her and she finally (reluctantly) put me on Levoxyl and Metformin and told me to try Sugar Busters or some other low glycemic diet.

Now, 4 years later, I'm off both meds and on Yasmin. The hair on my head is no longer falling out by the handfuls and my cycles are regular, albeit scanty. But I'm still obese, still have hirsutism, low libido, low energy levels and elevated triglycerides. I've been on South Beach Diet since December. Have lost about 10 pounds. It's really, really difficult for me to stick to a diet 100% since I have no support in the household. But I'm trying.

I've read some of the threads and was wondering about this drug some gals are talking about; spironolactone. I understand it's a diuretic and type of steroid but what exactly is its purpose in treating PCOS? Some have said that it's helped with the head hair loss, but has anyone had any success with reversing the hirsutism? Or is that even possible to reverse without cosmetic electrolysis treatments?

Has anyone heard anything about Topamax being used to facilitate weight loss in PCOS/insulin resistant patients?

Should I try and find a reproductive endo instead of going to a regular GYN? Any suggestions on how to talk to the doc without sounding like I'm whinging?

Any suggestions to boost the libido? The spirit is willing here, but the body couldn't care less!

Thanks bunches!

Mamacita
Mamacita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 02:53 AM   #2  
Rattie Lover

WELCOME, Mamacita!!

Quote:
My GP brushed me off and told me that all I need to do to lose weight is to "eat less and exercise more".
Yeah, unfortunately, alot of doctors that know nothing bout PCOS tend to do this. It's a shame and I think that they need to be better edcuated in sensitivity.

Quote:
I understand it's a diuretic and type of steroid but what exactly is its purpose in treating PCOS? Some have said that it's helped with the head hair loss, but has anyone had any success with reversing the hirsutism? Or is that even possible to reverse without cosmetic electrolysis treatments?
Spiro blocks the testostrone that is responsible for causing the hair loss in some places, and excessive hair growth in others. It won't re-grow hair, but it can keep it so more hair doesn't fall out or in other spots get too fuzzier.. I have not yet tried it but I may in the near future. I havent heard of any cases of hirtuism reversal. Man..that would be nice though if it was possible.

Here is an article on Spiro. Click on the link to get there..

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43304

Quote:
Has anyone heard anything about Topamax being used to facilitate weight loss in PCOS/insulin resistant patients?
Not me. This is the first time I've heard of this drug for PCOS as a matter of fact. When I get back from vacation I will do some research on it and see what I can come up with.

Quote:
Should I try and find a reproductive endo instead of going to a regular GYN? Any suggestions on how to talk to the doc without sounding like I'm whining?
I'd try my regular GYN first. Most of them these days seem to know something about PCOS. If you get treated like an idiot, pick a new one. Never give up until YOU find one you are comfortable with and understands YOU. YOU are the patient and they get paid to help you. That's their job.

Quote:
Any suggestions to boost the libido? The spirit is willing here, but the body couldn't care less!
Here is where I am opposite. PCOS and the higher testostrone levels increased my sex drive... So I haven't had to deal with the "lack of Libido". There are things you can do though, to "get you in the mood" so to speak. I happen to like chocolate dipped strawberries.. Something about those berries, dipped in that chocolate that forms a shell around the strawberries, is an aphrodisiac. There's sooo much more you can do but I am really not the expert in that department to say...I would suggest trying some different sites and investigating to see what will work best for you. One I have found very informative is www.improvingsex.com.

Quote:
Thanks bunches!
You're Welcome!!! Feel free to join us in our monthly PCOS chat area!! We we welcome everyone!! Just click on the link below to get there...

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45988
Noodles913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2004, 06:23 PM   #3  

hello neighbor... I see you live around the stone mountain area. I am in griffin (about 60 miles south of Atlanta). I see a reproductive endocrinoligist for my PCOS and he has me taking the glucophage. I havent ever really heard of those drugs that you listed. The glucophage made my hair stop coming out too. Now I just wish I could get some kind of lasar hair removal for the unwanted stuff.
You may want to visit www.ivf.com and see if they look like someone you may be interested in seeing. They are located in your neck of the woods. They are wonderful people and really know how to treat patients with out making them feel uncomfortable.
I need to go for a second but I hope to hear from you soon!!
Cassandra B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2004, 08:39 PM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I currently take a birth control pill which has done a lot for me including regulating my periods. My life almost feels normal some days. I've been doing laser hair removal for nearly a year and it has been great in that my unwanted hair has thinned out greatly and grows a bit slower, but it is still there in a lot of the spots which is quite annoying. The nurse that does my laser hair removal says that hormone driven hairs are really hard to get rid of and even though you laser away some follicles, new ones can sprout up at any time. I'm hoping as I lose weight, it becomes less and less of a problem.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2004, 10:55 PM   #5  
Swimming Mouse

Cassandra: Metformin and Glucophage are the same drug. One is the brand name (Glucophage) and the other is the generic (Metformin). I think Levoxyl is for hypothyroid symptoms, but I don't understand why that was prescribed if the thyroid test was normal. My thyroid tests are normal, but my endocrinologist continues to leave Thyroid NOS (not otherwise specified) on my list of diagnoses. A webpage I found about Levoxyl (http://www.levoxyl.com) says it shouldn't be used for weight reduction. Yasmin is a birth control pill. I don't know a whole lot about it, but there are several posters here who take it. A lot of them complained about it, as I recall.
I take Alesse/Aviane (Aviane is the generic).
I also take spironolactone (Aldactone is the name brand)... and fora while it really worked to stop the hair from coming back as fast, but now I am seeing more hair and in new spots. I've got that on my list of stuff to discuss with my endocrinologist.

Let me second the recommendation for a reproductive endocrinologist. I went to many, many doctors and the only one that ever listened was the reproductive endocrinologist I see now. The GYN's I talked to (my mom started dragging me when I was 17 since I never had a normal cycle) all told me until I was 23or 24 that an irregular cycle was "normal". They refused to believe I had a complete absence of cycle. The first 4 endocrinologists I saw tried to sign me up for Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig, NutriSystem, any and all of them, saying all I needed to do was lose weight. I was also sent to a surgeon who specialized in weight loss. Yea, sure. That guy was a total jerk and did the first set of bloodwork, but said everything was normal. How ANY of my bloodwork was normal when he did it in February 2001 and I saw the reproductive endocrinologist for the first time in April 2001... and she did bloodwork in June 2001, and NOTHING about ANY of my hormonal levels was normal... Well, we never did figure that out. I wasn't savvy enough at that point to get copies of test results and records.

Nelie: Does your insurance pay for the laser hair removal? If not, do you mind my asking how much it costs and what the procedure is like?

Anonymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 12:32 AM   #6  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Insurance doesn't pay for laser hair removal, I've been paying for it myself. I go once a month and the treatments aren't cheap I am in what they call "maintenance mode" because normal people only require 6 treatments and after that, the place I go to will discount your price. So at first it cost quite a bit, about 250/treatment, now it costs me about 75/treatment. Also, bigger areas often cost a lot more, like I'd love to do my arms or legs but that'd cost me way too much. I've only done small areas like my face. Also, lately I started doing my eyebrows because I am tired of waxing them and that hurts a lot, I wouldn't recommend it unless you have a high tolerance for pain. Other areas I've done only sting a little.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 10:42 AM   #7  
Swimming Mouse

I can't afford it anyway, so I guess I'll keep buying Nair in bulk.

Old 09-14-2004, 04:03 AM   #8  
Rattie Lover

Nair never worked for me... Must be my italian hair. I have to use the good ol' trusty razor. Remember those Epilady things?? I wonder if those really worked...I bet they hurt like a son of a ... though!!
Noodles913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 05:28 AM   #9  
Swimming Mouse

I didn't say it worked! Why do you think I buy it in bulk?