Closed Thread

Old 09-04-2004, 06:28 PM   #1  
Janette

Question Fear of Mushrooms

Maybe I was frightened by a toadstool when I was a child, but I have a fear of eating mushrooms! Since it is a core food, I would like to be able to eat them. Seriously, I buy them and put them in a salad and then I end up throwing them away because I think they have gone bad or something--I know I am throwing away plenty of good and expensive food so help me out here. How do you store them and how long are they still good after the wrapper has been removed? When they darken are they ruined? How do you cook with the fresh ones?
Old 09-04-2004, 06:36 PM   #2  
Gym'll fix it!!

I won't eat mushrooms either but then i'm not big on veggies..period My hubby loves them and I usually fry them for him..I would use them within 3-4 days of opening them mainly because they don't look very appetizing once they start to shrivel up I store them in the veggie drawer of the fridge.
Old 09-04-2004, 07:03 PM   #3  
Cowboy Up Chick

How to Store Mushrooms
These elegant vegetables are actually the fruit of underground fungi. Try not to store them for long, or you'll lose the delicate flavor.

Steps:
1. If the mushrooms are prepackaged, leave them in the packaging. (Image 1)

2. If the mushrooms are loose, place them in a paper bag and loosely fold the top of the bag over, or place them in a glass container and cover it with a dish towel or moist paper towel. Be sure to allow air circulation. (Image 2)

3. Store the mushrooms in the refrigerator, but not in the crisper. (Image 3)

4. Use the mushrooms within a few days, or within a week if they are packaged and unopened.
Old 09-04-2004, 07:05 PM   #4  
Cowboy Up Chick

When they go they go brown and bruised-looking and soft.
Old 09-04-2004, 11:12 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 178/see ticker/113

Height: 5'3

thanks Kelly! No wonder my mushrooms would go bad fast... I was storing them all wrong! You're the best!
Old 09-05-2004, 08:46 AM   #6  
Janette

Tks Kelly. I knew you would "get to the core of the matter" Now I know that I should plan 2 or 3 meals in a row if I am going to buy them--very costly in my neck of the woods. Tks again--yall are the best!!
Old 09-05-2004, 09:23 AM   #7  
Cowboy Up Chick

You both are welcome. For me I just buy them already cooked (unless I am doing a salad and then I buy from the bulk section and only a few) in cans or jars and cut down on the cooking time when I use them in a recipe.
Old 09-05-2004, 01:47 PM   #8  

Height: 5'7"

They are very good sliced and sauteed in olive oil and put on top of chicken or steak. I also use them on skewers with chicken, onions, etc. to brill -- and put them in the steamer with broccoli, onion, yellow squash and carrots. Just don't steam them for very long.

Our Kroger stores in the DFW area are having a big seafood sale, so I just now bought a pound of scallops (10 per pound) and a pound of jumbo shrimp (13-15 count) to make skewers on the grill tomorrow. I'll put mushrooms, onions and pineapple on the skewers with them. YUMMMM!!!

And thanks for the storage directions. I never even thought about it and always put them in the crisper with the other vegetables. I'll go take them out now!
Old 09-05-2004, 07:57 PM   #9  
Janette

For some reason I thought only fresh mushrooms were included on Core. But I see that they are listed under brand names for canned. How did I get that idea? I could swear I saw it somewhere!
Old 09-07-2004, 12:26 PM   #10  

I dump all fresh mushrooms, including the pre-slliced variety, into a brown lunch bag and store it in the main section of the fridge. Then never go slimy that way -- in fact, they will dry out it you don't use them up!

A good no-saute method is to just dump a handful of sliced 'shrooms in a bowl and nuke for a minute or so, stirring every 30 seconds. They will wilt and release their liquid. Its the quickest way of wilting mushrooms for an omelette I've found.
Closed Thread