Closed Thread

Old 09-03-2004, 04:25 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 193/188/120

Height: 5'2"

Default Walking like a European

Or a lot of other countries for that matter. Besides the US, that is. We don't do much walking here, as a rule.

I have been reading SO much material in magazines and books and it is on TV alot. The way people's of other countries walk and bike everywhere more than we do. And the way, when asked what they think when they hear about Americans--they overwhelmingly say--'fat. I think of Americnas as being fat.' You know how everyone has been saying that if everyone just walked 10,000 steps a day ( I almost typed 10,000 MILES--gasp! ) that the world ( and US) wouldn't have the obesity problem it has? And how every other country may eat rich things (think France and Croissants) and fats and drink wine, but they don't have the health problems we do in USA and are much fitter? They walk and bike everywhere but the farther places , then they take trains and cabs. Hardly anyone owns a car and they use them less than us if they do own it.

Now, I know that alot of our city (and country for that matter) streets are not safe or condusive (sp?) to this manner of transportation, and I know that when you work and/or raise a family, this wouldn't always work. It's not a solution to all weight related problems.

BUT, one day I was walking with my dog about 4 miles, and then I came home, jumped in the car and went to the store to get about 8 things. I thought, 'now this makes a lot of sense!'

Well, recently my youngest went off to college, and the times constraints of getting the food home and getting it on the table are lessened. AND as if in perfect timing, they put in sidewalks along the once treacherous street leading to the closest shopping center near me (with a grocery), and I thought--ok, it's about 4 miles round trip to the store and hubby and I only need a few things every other day or so. (as long as I pick up heavy items at a store close to my yoga class, which I drive to--I can do this once a week or so.)

I've done this --ran errands on foot or on my bike 3 times in the last week and a half and it was so nice! As my VERY active mom and step dad call it --'walking with a purpose.' !! I know weather will be a factor at times, and There may not be enough time (1-1/2 hrs average) ALL the time, but I would like to get more 'active with a purpose." I use one of my kids old backpacks when I walk, and I have a COOL basket on my old granny bike, so........

What thinks you?
Old 09-03-2004, 04:30 PM   #2  

BTW, my mom and step dad are almost 70. They are my heroes! They walk and ride bikes everywhere. It keeps stepdad's diabetes in check, too.
Old 09-03-2004, 05:40 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 176/143/138

Height: 5'7

Excellent idea. I walk absolutely everywhere I can. I could always catch the bus, but why bother when walking feels so much better. You have time to yourself, alone with your thoughts and just appreciating everything around you.

Your parents sound like my Grandpa lol. He's in his 70's but would have to be the fittest person I know. He walks everywhere, is constantly working in his yard (This "yard" is 5 acres of STEEP hill and he is up and down that several dozen times a day lol). When my grandma died a few years ago he even went out and joined a walking group and Landcare. He also rows around the Lake most mornings. The man is a machine! I hope...no...I WILL be that active when I am his age lol.

Livi
Old 09-03-2004, 06:21 PM   #4  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Walking is great exercise!

I am lucky enough to live in a city with a wonderful downtown area. I walk 25 minutes to work and 25 minutes home each day. On the weekends I walk to shopping, restaurants, cafes and the movies. Some evenings DH and I walk around the surrounding neighborhoods for about an hour admiring everyone's houses
Old 09-04-2004, 08:16 AM   #5  

Height: 5'-2"

Cheryl, that's great! Good for you!

I'm fortunate... we live in Centretown, and everything is within walking distance. Now that I have my own car, though, I find myself driving more often. I used to walk to my psychiatrist appointment... a one hour walk... but now I drive. Maybe once the kids are back at school I'll try walking it again.
Old 09-04-2004, 04:38 PM   #6  

lyria--your grandpa sounds like a neat guy. My step dad calls it biking/walking w/ a purpose. I can relate. We got snowmobiles once to 'mobile around with friends in winter when we go up north. I HATED it, mostly because we weren't GOING anywhere...just from point A to point B for no reason. I like doing exercise with a purpose. I have never been one to wnat to 'waste' my time just riding something for nothing. Just me, I guess.

Ellis--yes, it does take being freed up to be able to take as much time as it sometimes does...to get to places on foot, or bike. And not everyone can leave their little kiddies at home or whatever. That's why it was never a viable option for me before--not very often. Hard to carry all my kids' hockey gear on our bikes to the ice arena 12 miles away.

This am, I needed to send my eldest son his birth certificate at school so that he can obtain a passport. I rode my bike over to the PO and then did some other errands on the way--groceries and such. I can almost hear the 'wicked witch of the west' song---Nananananananaaaaaaaaa---while my hair flies! Weeeeeeeeeee!
Old 09-05-2004, 06:52 AM   #7  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by chervata
'walking with a purpose.'
Great to hear that phrase again! When we were about 13 my friend and I always used to say it to one another when we returned to her house after hanging around looking for boys. If we walked with a purpose then her dad wouldn't suspect anything! Maybe ...!

Excellent idea, btw. I try and walk as much as I can but it can be tricky when you live in the country. Ironic, really.
Old 09-05-2004, 07:48 AM   #8  

Height: 5'-2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbirch
I try and walk as much as I can but it can be tricky when you live in the country. Ironic, really.
Isn't that funny, Silverbirch. I found that when we lived in the country, too.
We moved back to the city several years ago, and I find walking here is easier and more interesting. (well, to this city girl, anyhow! ) There are sidewalks, dogs are tied up (I was once chased into the road by two rottweilers in the country), and I love looking at other people houses. Plus there are places to go. As you say, I can walk with a purpose. I can make my destination one of many... a library, a magazine shop, a Chinese grocery store, etc.
Of course, there isn't that sense of "being at one with nature", but fortunately I can still get that at the cottage.
I'm sure you have some beautiful scenery where you are.

Livi, your grandfather sounds very cool. Sounds like my Dad. Until a few years ago, he was doing a yearly canoe trip, hiking, building additions to the cottage, etc. People like that are very inspiring.
My mom is the same. She's 79, and she's such a fit babe. She and I usually go the Y together a few times a week. She always did aerobics with the young working women up until a year or so ago. She was really ticked off when her doctor told her to start doing aerobics with the "old people".

Chervata... hockey kids. I never thought I'd have one, but our little DS loves playing street hockey. He's the goalie. It's cute seeing a three foot, fully decked out goalie.
DH is getting him into ice hockey this fall, with the understanding that HE will be taking him to practices.
Congratulations on getting out on your bike!
Old 09-05-2004, 10:36 AM   #9  
maintaining

S/C/G: 243/170/165

Height: 6'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellis
I find walking here is easier and more interesting. (well, to this city girl, anyhow! )
Oh yes – me too! I love living in the middle of town, walking everywhere and not having a car. I haven’t owned a car in years actually. Before I came home and went back to school I used to live in Paris, and no way was I driving a car among those French drivers! Besides, the Metro went everywhere anyway.
There is no problem “Walking like a European” when there’s great public transportation available!
Old 09-05-2004, 01:18 PM   #10  

Oh, Mette---Paris! I would love to just go somewhere in Europe--almost anywhere-- before I die!

I live in the suburbs of a smallish town that is a suburb of a city.

Lucky for me, they have put sidewalks all through this small town as it has grown (we have been here about 15 yrs.) making it safer to walk/bike. Almost anything I would need to buy/take out to read/rent/eat, is within 10 miles too, which isn't that far on a bike. I am going to vote (my polls are at the Y) on foot, in Nov.

I am not crazy about foot travel on roads where there is a narrow soft shoulder, and a deep ditch next to it, for cars to knock you into.
Old 09-06-2004, 08:05 PM   #11  
Cat Lover

I try to walk like an European too! I live in a suburb, but it is close to some things like the grocery store and drug store. The hard part as always is never enough sidewalks!!! And sometimes people look at you like you are crazy if you are walking or biking. They think they have the right of way and you should stay out of it!!! I am looking to buy a house in the city for all the reasons you city dwellers posted.
Old 09-06-2004, 08:35 PM   #12  

Is that your kittie? He/she is pretty! I love kitties--hubby does not.

I have gotten pretty thick-skinned with age, I guess. I remember when I felt like people thought I was nuts if I walked somewhere, w/ purse or sachel, or back pack. They would look at me like 'waz'up? Can't you afford a car?' Now I feel ---well, not superior exactly, but like I have a secret that they don't have---the secret to fitness and umm--killing two birds with one stone (I hate that expression). So, I let them think what they want. I am getting fit, and hopefully slimmer, and MAY (the good Lord willing) live longer and in better shape than I would have had I sat in a car. So, THERE! to those people!
Old 09-07-2004, 01:23 PM   #13  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Not only that you are helping the environment by walking or biking instead of using your car so double NYEAH! on those people!
Old 09-07-2004, 04:45 PM   #14  
i luv my dog!

Great point, Mauvaisroux - plus this helps the wallet, too.
Old 09-09-2004, 02:55 PM   #15  

Yeah! Health, Wallet, Environment. A win,win,win situation. I am enjoying the heck out of it, too.
Closed Thread