South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 08-04-2004, 06:23 AM   #1  

Default Happy Hump Day 8/4

Morning chickies....

Very groggy this morning and trying to chug down some coffee. Could it have anything to do with the Starburst candy I was shoving in my mouth last night?

Kiddos will be walking through our doors today at 7:30! It is hard to believe that a new school year is starting. We had a meet the teacher thing last night and all but one of my kids came. That is a good sign. I actually have a really good vibe about this year.

I will check in later in the day or this evening!

Ya'll behave and SLAP me if you see me go near any non OP foods today.
Old 08-04-2004, 06:42 AM   #2  
Hittin' the Beach

S/C/G: 225/212/130

Height: 5'0"

Good morning chickies!!
Kiko, you beat me to starting the new chat for today!
Everything is going well on my end. Not much internet time but I'm plugging away.
Hope everyone has a great day! Bye for now
Old 08-04-2004, 07:42 AM   #3  
I vant to draw your blood

Good morning, Chicks~~

Well, I've gotten off to a brilliant start to August. Chocolate chip muffins... and this morning I woke up feeling like Jabba the Hutt.

As most of you know, DH's brother moved in with us recently. It was bad enough living with one, but now I have TWO naturally skinny men who love to eat junk (ice cream, chips, desserts, mac & cheese, potatoes, etc...) who work hard all day and want a nice filling dinner every night. Cooking naturally falls to me because 1) I work the closest to home 2) I don't like anyone messing in my kitchen except me and 3) DH is a disaster in the kitchen.

I love to cook. It's a wonderful creative outlet for me. And I love to eat. I love the way food tastes, the textures, the whole thing and dieting is the worst kind of
torture for me... except maybe exercise. :blush:

I know that no one is holding a gun to my head and making me eat stuff I shouldn't, but it's almost like asking an alcoholic to be a bartender and then telling her not to drink.

If I could have one wish, I'd wish myself into a competely "safe" situation. Nothing but nutritious food and drink, no sabateurs or enablers, drill sergeants to force me to exercise and a rubber room for when it all gets to be too much and I go bonkers.

Okay, guess I've had enough whine for the day. Gotta go find something decent to eat for my lunch today.

Hope everyone has a great day on the Beach!

Mamacita
Old 08-04-2004, 08:56 AM   #4  

Good moring all!!

Well I need some coffe today! I just cannot seem to make my self go to bed before 11:30 and then get up 6:30. I guess I will eventually learn or fall asleep in the middle of the day.

Mamacita Sorry about your rough days!! I know what it is like to have that skinny Dh you just want them to know how you feel Good luck seetie Just think of how far you have come.

Kiko Good luck with your students today. We have meet the teacher next Friday. My DD cannot wait!! But I can just a little longer. Keep forgetting to ask you what grade do you teach?

To everyone else have a great OP day. See you later!
Old 08-04-2004, 09:01 AM   #5  

morning chickies!!!!
well i am back from my trip to the race!! actually we got back late monday but i am still recovering. we had an awesome time!!! my driver won (woohooo go jimmy johnson) it was a totally great experience. i did not get to bump into little chick but i think i found her seat before the race started and i left her a little note taped down with a band-aid (it was all i had in my purse) i think the woman sitting next to her thought i was a nut. oh well i am a little nutty. anyway i am not going to lie i was not on any kind of healthy eating plan while i was away but i am hopping back on today!!!

i took dd back to the dr yesterday (she had bloodwork done a week or so ago for thyroid) he told me her TSH level was 7.5. when she had the same test done in jan her TSH WAS 2.6. he wants to hold off 6 more weeks before putting her on meds for thyroid. he said he will repeat the bloodwork and go from there. she is 14yo and also has a goiter. does this sound right?? any of you nurses out there?
well thats about it in my sand box. i missed you all!!! hope you have a great day on the beach!!!!
Old 08-04-2004, 09:41 AM   #6  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Just back from being stabbed and poked by three different technicians who were trying to take my blood! Mamacita, I need you! I have huge bruises on both arms but they DID get their four vials of blood. I think I should just have plastic surgery and gt spigot attached for this nonsense!

Sarah has been here since 8 and got a great start on my garden To Do list. She is no longer nervous about getting stung by a bee again and has her magic pen with her all the time. It poured all day yesterday and is threatening again right now so we may not get a heck of a lot done this morning.

Would you believe I had sushi for breakfast after my vampire encounter? Definitely not OP but a better choice at A&P than a sugary muffin.

Aside from garden stuff, not much planned today. Harry wants to go to the Library but that'll be late this afternoon. I was awake from 1 AM last night so may sneak in a good afternoon nap!

Happy Hump Day!
Old 08-04-2004, 09:54 AM   #7  
Live, Laugh, Love

Height: 5'3"

Default Can't stay long.....

Boss lady is gonna be at work to audit me today. Gotta be there on time!!!! How's everybody today??? I had SUCH a crazy dream....it had Joe Rogan (host of Fear Factor) in it. What the heck is up with that??? I haven't even watched Fear Factor in forever.

DF came home late from work last night. It was about 11:35 when I woke up and he was coming into the bedroom. He said he was going to get a drink of water and then come to bed, so I went back to sleep. Woke up at 6am and he wasn't there. Found him asleep on the couch. Then, at 7:15, I woke up to him crawling into bed and doublechecking the alarm. Then, I woke up at 8:15 (I slept late today) and he was back on the couch. I wonder if I smell bad.

Lost 1 lb of the 2 that I put on from eating and drinking whatever I wanted 2 nights ago. Woo hoo!

Ahh crap, gotta finish getting ready for work. Talk to you all later!
Old 08-04-2004, 10:00 AM   #8  

Morning friends -

Sorry I was MIA yesterday, had the carpets cleaned early in the am and then went to a friends to play outside ALL DAY. The kids had a blast and are *wiped* out. Stayed pretty much OP, had a little too much meatloaf for dinner and my friends makes it with oatmeal. Probably P2 friendly if I had eaten a normal portion.

Have an excellent OP lunch bag packed with food for the day. I felt GOOD in my outfit on Saturday night, I want that feeling to get even better. So OP it is.

Kiko - Good luck today, hope your vibes prove to be reality

Steph - Plug away!!

Mamacita - Temptation is the worst. Most of the time I don't even think about SBD as a diet, but if I was living with 2 men like you describe I would have a real challenge. Hang in there!!

skherb - I have similar sleep patterns. The kids are asleep by 8pm, so why do I stay awake?

Jodi - sounds like a blast this weekend. Curious to hear about your DD, maybe a second opinion would be a good idea. Better safe than sorry.

Ruth - Sushi for breakfast? Now that is an alternative to eggs.

Back to work. Need to run out to the OBGYN today, so I need to get some stuff done ahead of time in case they make me wait for hours on end.
Old 08-04-2004, 10:16 AM   #9  
Faith in me

Good morning ladies!

Wow I actually got in here while it's still morning...I'm really sleepy....for the past week I have not been able to fall asleep until 2 or 3....I dunno why....it's very weird....I have the house to myself today...but I have to sit in my dad's office answering phones for him cuz he's down in tidewater with my little brother doing something....it's very boring in here....so i guess i'll find something to do in here...How's everyone doing today?
Old 08-04-2004, 10:26 AM   #10  
Peanut's Mom

Cool

Ah, it would be an absolutely lovely day at the beach...I think it's at least 85 degrees here, sunny and the humidity feels like 100%. If I were a tropical fish, I'd be right at home!

I did give myself some pampering last night: manicure, soft music, herbal tea, foot massage. I slept like the dead. Didn't want to get up this morning, but after an invigorating walk, I'm ready to face the world. And I'm actually looking forward to taking a break from work to lift some weights and do some crunches. Our gym is about 100 meters from my desk and today is AB CLASS...fifteen minutes of sheer pain. But the satisfaction of that last crunch is awesome.

I've been contemplating a career change, as I do about every three months or so. Today, I'd like to be a personal trainer when I grow up. It would be pretty easy to stay in shape if it were my job to work out all the time...or so I would think. I still have the lingering dream of being a high school chemistry teacher, but after talking to several teachers, I think it really might not be for me.

My dad is a retired civil engineer and he's teaching 7th grade remedial math and advanced algebra. I remember when he would try to help me with my math homework as a child and I have great pity for his students! Though, from what my mom tells me, he has greatly softened with age. I see that too when he plays with my daughter. From the corner of my eye, I'll catch him doing something really tender and cute with her, but the minute he sees I'm watching, he stiffens up and kinda clears his throat and acts tough. I just hafta roll my eyes and chuckle.

Kiko: Be strong! Those Starbursts can be hard to refuse , but you can do it! Have fun w/ the kids!

Mama: I'm with ya on the Jabba the Hut thang. By the Grace of the Big Guy Upstairs, I was able to narrowly avoid the Peanut Butter Muffins at work today. Hopefully, they'll be gone before my afternoon weakness rolls around. I also love to cook, especially new recipes. I don't cook separate meals for DH/DD and myself anymore (that got real old, real fast), I make a meat, veggie and salad that are SB friendly and then prep a starch item for them. The key for me is that I only make enough of the starch for them: two baked potatoes, two ears of corn, two servings of rice, or 1/2 recipe of pasta. Could that be an option for you? Or, if I make pasta for them, I'll make a small spaghetti squash for me w/ the same sauce. Then I have leftovers for lunch the next day. Yummy.

Jodi: I'm so sorry to read about your daughter. A good friend of mine is actually in surgery now to remove her thyroid completely. She's a healthy, clean-living 29yo and has thyroid cancer. I do not understand why these things happen to such young people. I hope that your daughter's condition is improved soon!

Have a GREAT day at the beach! If you're in the Philadelphia area, remember your scuba gear!
Old 08-04-2004, 10:40 AM   #11  
I graduated!

Morning Everyone!

Kiko... ugh! don't even talk about school! My classes don't start until the end of this month and I'm not ready!!!!! I hope your first day back goes well for you.

Big hugs Mamacita. OP foods are so delicious! Why don't you just cook on plan meals for everyone? If they insist on having bread or whatever with dinner you could skip it. For me, I see little about this program that is depravation, there are choices to make... but the foods are so good. You could even bring in some Phase 3 foods for them, eating Phase 3 when you're on phase 2 would be better than having evil enriched flour and processed sugars. It's a healthy way of life!

Years ago my parents had this cookbook called "Good Goodies" I wonder if I could still find it... it had the most awesome carrot cake receipe in it (along with piles of other good things) made from scratch and using only whole wheats and unbleached flour etc... plus no refined sugars.

Sounds like everyone else is up to good stuff... Today I'm going to drive about 30 minutes to go a store called Broken Horn to buy more stuff for horseback riding. Damn expensive hobby! I don't know if I can post urls yet but I posted some pictures of my latest miniature project, a gift bag roombox, on my picture pages... if you're interested stop by (don't type w w w) ami dot peopleareidiots dot com ...I guess I'm just attracted to expensive hobbies! I better graduate nursing school and get a good job to support DH so he can go to college and get a better job so I can blow my paychecks on playing! hehehe

Jess... there are some great places online to fritter your time away, yahoo games and msn games and... you'll be sucked in and the day will fly by... I know from personal experience! :blush:

Thanks for replying to my post yesterday beachgal... when you've got that many docs giving you drugs you need to make sure that they're all aware of everything all the time and that someone (your pharmacist maybe?) is checking for serious interactions that could be causing side effects... sometimes it's a question of which is worse, the meds or the problem you're treating with them *sigh*

This week I'm trying to get inspired. I don't think I'm getting enough exercise just going to the horse so today I'm taking a day off from going to the stable and I'm going to finally go look into joining the Jewish Community Center up the street so I can go swim in the pool.

I gots a full plate today and I've almost used up the hour I've alloted myself for babbling here...

Lovingly,
Old 08-04-2004, 12:11 PM   #12  

Yesterday was a busy day for me. We caught the DART light rail to downtown and then took the train (Trinity Railways Express) to Ft Worth. Actually we had a 2 1/2 hour layover in one station in 95 degree heat with no bathrooms. I tried to get my DH moving earlier so we could take the nonstop train but we just missed it. Then we took a bus to the Museum of Science and History. Brian had a great time there. We saw an IMAX film and went to the planetarium. Not a bad way to spend a vacation day. On the way back we stopped in the West End for dinner at Hoffbrau's Steaks.

Not an OP day, though. When we were stuck in the heat I shared a candy bar with my son and ate one pretzel. I didn't touch his Skittles or Starburst though. Lunch was grilled chicken sandwhich and I ate half of the bun. I had a piece of fruit as an afternoon snack so that was okay. Dinner was okay too. I had 5 oz of tenderloin without the lemon butter sauce and without the rice. The grilled shrimp and steamed vegetables were fine as is. None of the dressings were low in sugar so I had the cup of chili instead. I avoided the cheese on top and only ate half. I did eat a small piece of sourdough bread. I was down a half pound this morning but still up 2 pounds from last week. Guess it could be worse.
Old 08-04-2004, 12:51 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to tell you guys how much I appreciate your wonderful personalities. I still read and post over the Prevention board and sometimes they have such trolls on there.
http://forums.prevention.com/thread....61045&tstart=0

I want so bad to reply to this person and yell at her for being so stuck up and snarky. But, I am a grown up and won't stoop to her level.

You all are so wonderful and supportive without being mean and witchy. Thank you so much.

Sarah
Old 08-04-2004, 01:06 PM   #14  
Peanut's Mom

Thumbs down

You're right, Sarah, I'm glad to have found this wonderful forum first, otherwise I might have gotten the impression that the Beach was for trolls.

Sigh. I'm still at exactly 180 today. Been there for two weeks. I try to keep reminding myself that I've started weight lifting and exercising more = more muscle. I did go WAY off plan this weekend. And I'm a bit bloated b/c TOM is right around the corner. Today I feel much better than yesterday, but it is still disheartening.

Darn phone! Wishing more success for every one else!!!
Old 08-04-2004, 01:18 PM   #15  

Sarah - In that thread you posted is a link to crockpot recipes for SBD. I am SO excited!! Thank you!!
Closed Thread