Closed Thread

Old 08-04-2004, 03:15 AM   #1  

Default WW Feisty & Sexy 50-60 yr old #25

G'day everyone,

Just before I start getting dinner I thought I would start a new thread.

Nice to 'see' you Peggy. It will be very interesting what advise the realtor will give.
Some years ago when we sold a house the realtor walked in the house and told me to get rid of just about everything. I have lots of bits and pieces all over the place....she said you don't want people in here to look at all your embroideries and your knick knacks, get rid of all clutter and some more.
I thought it was all a bit over the top but I was very keen to get the house we had bought subject to the sale of this house and I did as I was told. The house looked very empty but spacious! We sold the house very quickly and we were able to buy our next house.
So who knows, good luck.

Slavika very well done staying the same, you cannot complain about that. In my place it is more the other way around, I am happy to leave dishwasher etc. till the morning but not dh!
Funny you should say exactly the same thing that I was told some years ago as I explained above.

On the full moon.....I was kidding because I thought if you have a full moon on your side of the world we wouldn't so I had to find that out.....we don't have a full moon till the 19th. I do know that the full moon has strange effects on people. So if you don't sleep on the 19th Ann it is because WE have a full moon!!

We continue to have lots of rain and flooding. It has been the wettest spell for 24 years. What has made it worse is the storms that have accompanied the rain.

Have any of you had any experience with using metal detectors??? DH wants to find gold (what else!) and I would like to find some coins etc.
We have often thought of it. We are thinking of going North at the end of September. We were talking to someone who had just come back and found quite a bit of gold and his wife found some old coins in an area around an old ruin. This got us all enthused again and we are thinking of buying one.

Must be off and get dinner......

Cheers
Maria
Old 08-04-2004, 06:04 PM   #2  
Net browser

Hi Everybody

Maria when we are in Maui and sitting on our lani early in the mornings, we see the same couple every morning walking along the shore with a metal detector. He has the detector and she carries a bag. When he thinks he has found something, she cleans the sand away from whatever is there, and if it is something of value puts it in her bag. My friend who spends a lot of time in Maui said that same couple are there year after year. I would think they must find things of value or they wouldn't spend so much time doing it. You and your DH would make a good team like that couple. Who knows what treasures you might find. I think it would fun, and it would also be exercise.
Old 08-04-2004, 09:38 PM   #3  

Slavika I had rather thought that dh carries the bag and does the digging
Living so close to the beach, we thought we could go for a bit of beach combing as well. They say after a storm, it is incredible the 'treasures' that get washed to shore. With the naked eye all we find is shells!

Sunny day here...at last!
I have been to the gym and have had the most strenuous workout yet.
Checked the scales on my return and it is looking good, lets hope it will still look good for my 'official' weigh-in on Monday.

Cheers
Maria
Old 08-05-2004, 09:39 AM   #4  
Fun Blonde

Maria, we are all so proud of your commitment and you are doing so well. Slavika, you too, especially on your birthday week and with all your friends wanting to celebrate.

Peggy, I think the advise you got from Slavika and Maria will be probably what you will get from the realtor. My DIL just started being a realtor and this is what she says. I have a niece who had the most beautiful old Victorian home. She had worked hard on it and they had done so many beautiful things. But it was a mess to sell because, as Gina said, it was so specialized. You might feel overwhelmed because of her antiques and pass it by.

An update on my child problem: Talking extensively to Cody, my DIL and I had an idea because he said, "I am a nervous person. I am not like other people." We took him to a doctor and described how he gets into situations because he has to, but he does not do what he is supposed to. Then he lies about it. The doctor nailed it instantly as social anxiety phobia and put him on medication. Cody just has problems dealing with stressful situations, in fact he can't. I sure hope this turns his life around. Keep us in your prayers.

Also today I go to the cancer doctor for the results of my blood test. Think positive for me.
Glenda
Old 08-05-2004, 02:36 PM   #5  
Fun Blonde

Just had to let you know. My cancer test was good. My doctor said that it had been so long--6 years from my recurrence--that he would be very surprised if I had another recurrence. Good news indeed! BUT, I have a friend who just died with ovarian cancer after a 19 year remission. I don't think you can ever let your guard down.
Glenda
Old 08-05-2004, 03:56 PM   #6  
Net browser

Glenda that is good news indeed. I know you worry each time you have the test andI likely would too. Six years......that's just SUPER!!

About your Cody.....you know Glenda, we all have these "burdens" that we carry with us in this life. Maybe this doctor has hit the nail on the head and this medication will help Cody cope better with his burden. I don't know if you remember or not but my son had melanoma on his chest. He had a flat brownish mark high up on his chest. Honestly it really didn't look like much, but I told him to see his doctor. He did, and his doctor said it was fine. My friend at the lake told him to see his doctor and he told her the same thing....and then we both told him to see ANOTHER doctor. He finally did go another doctor and it was melanoma. The doctor, when he operated on it, had to cut a piece of skin away that was MUCH LARGER then the mark had been but they have to make sure to get it all. He's fine, and they did get it all, but he goes in to see the doctor every three months and every little tiny tiny new little freckle he gets, is removed immediately. I worry about my boy and I know you worry about your's. I really hope this medication helps your boy Glenda, and keep us posted.

Last edited by slavika; 08-05-2004 at 03:58 PM.
Old 08-05-2004, 08:28 PM   #7  

G'day all,

Glenda thanks for your comments re my commitment on shifting this weight. Now that I am finally SERIOUS, I do feel so much better in myself and when I have a bit of a difficult day I just keep reminding myself of that.

We never stop worrying about our children.....I think I have mentioned it that dd's husband suffers from depression, is on medication and sees a psychiatrist every 6 months. I always worry about those 2 eventhough they are very happy, both are very hard working but his illness is always at the back of my mind. The main reason is that so little is still known about mental illness and the stigma attached.
It was bad enough for 2 doctors to misdiagnose Slavika's son condition but with mental illness misdiagnosis can have even more disastrous results, just look at the many suicides.
My daughter did a thesis on mental illness just to understand her husband's condition better and I know that both are very open about his illness.
I hope the medication will help Cody.
Fantastic news about your latest cancer test.....it has been 11 years since my brush with cancer, every year I am always very relieved to get the all clear again.

Slavika the older I am getting the less I trust doctors. How often don't we read about someone who is told by their doctor everything is fine but their gut instinct tells them to get a second opinion (and in your son's case a third opinion ) and then find out that their gut feeling was right. In a country like Australia the risk of getting a melanoma is very high and in the summer we are constantly told to cover up and use sunblock.
I bet your pleased he took your advise and visited the third doctor!

I was on a bit of a high yesterday....I did some restoration work for someone some months ago...I printed them out on one sheet of paper so she could decide which ones she would like to have printed and how many. I never heard of her again and thought perhaps she didn't really like what I did. She rang very apologetic for leaving it this long and called in yesterday and wanted 6 prints (she has 5 siblings) of everything I had done because she 'just loved everything' I was showing her a collage I was doing for someone else, she didn't realise I did this as well and she now wants to talk to the rest of the family to see if they would like that for their mother's 80th birthday.
So just when I was loosing a bit of confidence in my abilities I received this boost and have been on a bit of a high since!

Have a great day all,
Cheers
Maria

Last edited by flaggies; 08-05-2004 at 08:33 PM.
Old 08-06-2004, 04:04 PM   #8  
Fun Blonde

Slavika - I am so sglad your son just did not accept one or two doctor's opinions. I have been a big supporter of second and third opinions since I had cancer. Sometimes you just don't "feel" right about something and it is not a time to ignore. I know when I was diagnosed, it took 6 weeks of feeling bad, being told over and over it was nothing, but knowing it was something. The fact that I had a bad gall bladder probably saved my life because it kept me searching for something. When I was young, I just knew doctors knew everything. Now I question everything. We have to be our own advocate.

Maria - you are so very talented. I know you will be successful in your business. I have a friend who does collages for us and she does a really good job. She collects poems, little sayings and then uses them on the collage. She did a poster-size collage for my friend's 60th birthday using baby pictures to the present pictures. Sure was neat.

I just talked to Cody. He said his stomach is a little queasy and he is a bit lethargic, but the terrible anxiety of little things is gone. I just hope this makes a big change in him. He also needs counseling to go along with it.
Glenda
Old 08-06-2004, 10:07 PM   #9  

G'day all,

It is finally a nice sunny day! We are off to watch ds football game.
His wife is in Brisbane (like the other side of Australia!) playing netball, I took her to the airport yesterday afternoon. Whenever his wife is in another city playing netball ds usually comes and his dinner with us.
He did again last night and he revealed that they are trying to start a family! It is a bit difficult with his wife being away so much and when she is home she works shift work.
They were going to wait until after the next Commonwealth Games in 2006, but they have decided not to wait till after the Games, she still hopes to be able to try out for those and if she was to fall pregnant over the next few months that would be just about perfect.
Very exciting.....I may become a grandmother sooner than I thought!

Glenda you do say the nicest things....thank you! I just enjoy what I do and it is nice to get different projects to do.
I guess in this day and age most of us are able to buy what we want when we want, something personal like a photo collage have become very popular.
Pleased to hear the medication is making a difference to Cody.

Hello to everyone else, hope you are all well!

Cheers
Maria
Old 08-07-2004, 01:17 AM   #10  
Life Time 2001

Ok Im lost again. So whats new????? I have been so busy. Weekends have taken over. We have so much to do. Think I want a condo or something that doesnt require work. LOL

Been spending so much time out there. Im still yelling CEMENT! There is no way to catch up Sorry.

Love you all!
Old 08-08-2004, 09:39 PM   #11  

G'day all,

Very happy weigh-in this week, down .9kg
I have just been to the gym, dh is away this week in Sydney so I am really hoping to stay on track this week and a bit more and show another good loss next Monday.
It is slow but so far I have not had one week where I have had to report a gain, I hope I don't break that record.

I have decided to do a bit of sewing this week, I have three pieces of fabric I want to make into shirts....so my goal this week is to get them done.

You must all be very busy.....it has been a bit quite here

Cheers
Maria

Starting weight: 94.9 kg
goal weight: 72 kg
todays weight 87.6kg
.9 from last week
total loss till now 7.3 kg
Old 08-08-2004, 10:33 PM   #12  
Life Time 2001

Glenda: Good News! 6 Years Free is excellent! I do hope the Medication helps your son. Please keep us posted!

Slavika: I dont remember you telling us that before about your son. Im glad he goes every 3 months to get checked.

Maria: You are doing so well! Congrats! 7.3kg is super! WTG! Sounds like you are getting a new Client to! Woo Hoo!

Forgot I did get 43 on Dr Phils test.

Been busy working and playing in the yard. Had a WW meeting today to so was gone most the day. Weekends just go to fast. Wish I could work 2 days and have 5 off! Dream on!

Last edited by LilyG; 08-09-2004 at 12:37 AM.
Old 08-09-2004, 07:54 PM   #13  
Net browser

Hi Everybody

Hi Lily I miss seeing you on the board, so it's always nice when you pop in, other then work and "playing" in your yard, anything else new with you?

Maria WOW...down another 1.9# WTG
Well done Maria!
I think being a grandmother one day will bring you as much joy as it has brought me. How sweet it is!!
It's nice that you enjoy your work and that your clients appreciate your talent.

The weather here is not good. I have to say this is the worst summer that I can remember. The wonderful happy news I have, is that DH and I have booked our flights for Maui. We are going near the end of January for 4 weeks. The part that makes this soooo exciting is that our kids are going to join us there for two weeks. DH has already booked a van, because with the 6 of us there we will need it. They plan to come sort of in the middle of our time there and will stay with us in the condo. The Princess is even more excited then I am.
Ann what are you up to. It seems like a long time since you stopped in. I was just thinking about you and thought I would come back and edit my post to ask about you.
Talk to you all soon.

Last edited by slavika; 08-09-2004 at 10:21 PM.
Old 08-09-2004, 08:40 PM   #14  

G'day all,

I can imagine how excited you must be Slavika, that is great not just booking another trip to Maui but having your children and grand children joining you. Aahh life is great
I have never been in any great hurry for grandchildren but since hearing the plans of our children (dd hope to start 'trying' towards the middle of next year) I have been dragging out some of the books with the gorgeous things you can make for babies.
I picked up a book with the sweetest embroidery projects, just simple little singlets with a small embroidered item like an ice-cream in a cone etc.

It was nice to 'see' Lily.....seeing you feel so overwhelmed with all the work you have to do in your yard etc....would you consider an apartment or 'condo' as you call it I don't know about your side of the world but our house is what they call a 'courtyard' home, it is free standing house but on a very small block giving me still fun to do my gardening thing but doesn't tie us down the whole weekend. When we have been away, it takes me about a day to get everything ship-shape again.
We will probably never move again as this is just ideal.

It is a nice sunny winter's day here, the days are starting to get longer and the feeling of spring is in the air.

Cheers
Maria
Old 08-09-2004, 11:28 PM   #15  
Life Time 2001

Slavika: No nothing much new with me. Same old.
How fun that the Kids will come out for 2 weeks while you are in Maui. They are gonna love it!

Maria: No I love my House just hate the yard If we can get it Like I want then it wont be so bad. Just cant do alot. As by Noon its to hot to work out there now..

Later!
Closed Thread