Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 07-15-2004, 08:32 AM   #1  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Default Thursday Chat, July 15th

Good Morning,

Sorry I have very little time, boss man is coming in. I'll sneak back in later to read up.

Hugs, hope your all doing okay.

SueMarie, SOSDD means Same Old S*** Different Day
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 09:40 AM   #2  
CIN

Default Good Morning All!

Hi Gals,
Wow..................it took all morning to read the longgggggggggggggggg post and catch up.I would have to take notes to reply a little something to all of you...so forgive me if I dont.

I need to get off the computer and onto the sidewalk!Computers are wonderful "things" however they can keep us away from things we need to do that are more important! Like exercise!

Cathy dear................... I am so happy for you.if anyone deserves weight loss it is you! Who cares what it took to help it??You have worked hard!

Hugs to all...............bye..........gotta walk!
Cin

PS Had fun with the kids yesterday.we are going to the water park next Weds!
CIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 10:18 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 209/179/160

Height: 5'3"

Good Morning Gang!

Cin - you are just too sweet! you've got me sitting here with tears in my eyes! you are so sweet! *smooch* I know that no one really likes diet pills and I understand why but I do appreciate the support and understanding and encouragement! really I do!

And guess what!!!!! it's 5 lbs as of this morning! :cd: I cannot believe it! I have never lost 5 lbs in one week in my whole entire life! I am so tickled! and like I said, I know its probably just water, but I don't care!

Cin - I hope you enjoy your walk! I know you will!

Leen - sorry its so busy at work! I know the feeling hehe my desk looks like a bomb went off in here LOL, but I'll get it caught up and then I can play on the puter later.

I will check back this afternoon when I get a handle on my desk.

I hope everybody has a BLESSED day!

hugs,
cathy

OOPS I almost forgot - I did get up early this morning and do my 30 minute 3 mile WATP w/3lb handweights. That makes 18 miles for July.

Last edited by cathyxxx; 07-15-2004 at 10:21 AM.
cathyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 02:02 PM   #4  
Divine Gal

Hey ladies
I am so glad to see that yall are getting results.I haven't been sleeping to well and I don't understand why.I have been having some really and I do mean really stupid dreams lately. I am still somewhat depressed but its starting to ease up some I think.

BIL was transferred last Friday to a nursing home to continue his therapy.He seems to be doing well as far as the physical but the mental is still alittle off.He still thinks that he had an accident in the armed forces; in a war.Dh and I have just got to the point where we are tired of telling him thats not it.We change the subject on him.His short term memory is off too.As you can see from what I just said.We took him some snacks and stuff to the home.We also took his TV and DVD player.It was the first time I seen him smile in like weeks.

My bunny has hit puberty.He is being so ornery.He started humping my husbands hand today and I cracked up. Now i know what is wrong and we have to get him neutered soon.

TOM is coming next week so I am Pmsing really bad.Thank GOD dh is out today especially since I am in my nesting mode. I yell at him when he is in my way while I am cleaning.

I also got an email today from a girl I went to High school with.My 10 year class reunion is coming up in November.I definately have to get on the ball.

Hope all is well.

*hugs*
lynnie

Last edited by lynnie24; 07-15-2004 at 02:05 PM. Reason: forgot something
lynnie24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 02:49 PM   #5  

S/C/G: H178/S170/140/135

hi everyone... met with my personal trainer this morning.. she is a gem

I'm up another 1/2 pound, so have regained 2 now of the 7 I lost. We went over my diet and revamped my exercise program. She figures I'm building muscle faster than losing weight. This was confirmed when we weighed me and did the body fat %. I've lost a total of 5.8% body fat!!!!!! and 5.2% of that is in 2 weeks!!!! Guess the gym 5x/week IS paying off. I just really want to see the pounds come down too So, we've changed the workout so I am only doing one exercise per major muscle group every second workout instead a muscle group every workout.

I'll still go to gym 5x/week, but only do upper or lower (alternate) on every second visit. Other days, just cardio. So it looks like this:

Day 1: weight train upper body & 30-40 min cardio
Day 2: cardio 40-50 min (lower target heart rate than on weight days)
Day 3: weight train lower body & 30-40 min cardio
Day 4: cardio 40-50 min (lower target heart rate)
Day 5: weight train upper body & 30-40 min cardio

2 days off.. then Days 1-5 again, only with 2 days of weight training on lower and one on upper. That way, at the end of two cycles, I'll have weight trained 3x each upper and lower.

I'm really enjoying this. I miss when I can't get there. Last night I missed, but was a good reason Was our 25th anniversary. We went out for a wonderful dinner. I was even good!!! Took the low carb choices, had no dessert, and was stuffed *S... came in at under 1200 calories for the day (on Fit-Day) so had to have a wee snack before bed!

On the home front, son got into some trouble with the police. We still don't know the whole story, but it seems he flew into a rage - lost his wallet, so hence the rage (while drunk.. and probably stoned), was throwing paper towel around a public bathroom and yelling/screaming at the university, and someone called the police. He resisted the officer, tho he didn't resist arrest (his papers said "resisting arrest", but it was crossed out and replaced with "resisting police officer" and "mischief"), and landed up in the drunk tank for 24 hours. He hadn't come home for two nights, but this is not unusual... he's just never been involved with the police before.

So now he has three months probation, a 9PM to 7 AM curfew, and goes to court in mid September. We know he has no idea what will happen at court, so hub and I are going to break the news to him slowly that he will probably get a fine, and probably be required to attend anger management and some AA meetings. This is a good thing, but we're going to try and talk him into getting started now. It will not only look better when he does go to court, but it will be better for him in the long run.

I suppose there is a silver lining in all this. I certainly hope so This son of mine is going to be the death of me... truly.

Cathy!! Congrats on your weight loss!!!! You keep truckin girl!!!

Ok, back to work. Am doing a presentation later next month and I'm trying to get it all finished this week.

Last edited by JudoMom; 07-15-2004 at 02:53 PM.
JudoMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 02:59 PM   #6  

Good afternoon all.....I am on my way out the door.....shopping.....feeling better these days.....the sun is shining.....I am making improvement.....I went with DH.....when he walked the dog earlier....it was just 15 minutes....but it's a start.

See you all later.

April
april99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 04:09 PM   #7  
Oooo Silly Me!

Hello Ladies!

Leenie – OOOH I was thinking SOSDD was some code for like save me from my Dear Daughter you know SOS distress signal heheheh

CIN – you know what I do for the replying I write my posts in MS Word. 1) because somethings really screwy with my computer and my web browser that it always crashes when I am typing posts. It got annoying to loose everything. So now I can save them as I type in case the browser wants to crash for no reason at all… which it has done. I basically use the same file over and over again to do my posts. 2) it spell checks as I go… sometimes my fingers go faster than my brain hehehehe.

Cathyxxx congrats on that extra pound gone! You know when I first started I was loosing 3-5lbs a week as well. I’ve been doing those WATP videos too… Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday I do the 15 minutes once in the morning when I wake up and then I’ll do 40 minutes of Kathy and then follow it with 15 minutes of another WATP (usually an hour later and only if it’s icky to go out for a walk) Then the other days I just do 15 minutes once a day when I get up. let me tell you this, it’s not been at 6am LOL but it’s getting closer. I just gotta start going to bed on time and stop tossing and fiddling til 2am. Specially when it gets closer to going back to work and school. I gotta get back on that schedule. I’ve only got hmmm… 5 miles this month (that includes the one I will do tonight after Kathy) Congrats again on the weight loss!

OOH one more thing. I went shopping at my grocery store. I didn’t see anything called Roux. I’ve seen Creole Seasoning, Zattarains (if that’s spelled right) and a few other Creole seasonings. What exactly is Roux, what’s it look like and if I can’t find it, is there something I can substitute it with? Thanks…

Lynnie – Glad to hear BIL is doing better. I sure bet it was a warm fuzzy feeling to see him smile. I remember when my grandmother was diagnosed with cancer and we had to place her in a home. Her memory was in and out, but it sure felt good to see her smile, and remember my name… *sigh* memories… The bunny situation sounds pretty… *cough* interesting I was just up in Pismo Beach for vacation, and we visted James’ sister 30 minutes out while up there. She raises rabbits. I think she’s got about 40+ right now. The babies are the cutest little furballs I’ve ever seen! Oh and yes… a few of her bunnies have hit their prime as well! I just got in touch with a girl for my 10 year reunion as well. I went to three high schools cause my father was in the military. One in Ohio where I went to school for 7 years attended the high school for 2 years, then California where one was 1 year and then another in California where I graduated after a year there. I’ve been wanting to go to the Reunion in Ohio, because I know everyone there. I also have the reunion for the high school I graduated from out here in California. I honestly don’t think I am going to go to either one. I may go to the 15 or 20 year reunion, which ever is next. I think my size is holding me back. Not to mention I would have to fly back east to go to the one in Ohio. Flying isn’t my cup of tea hehehe…

Judomom – HAPPY ANNIVERSARY hehehe and good job with the working out. I think that much gym would kill me. When I had a membership at 24hr Fitness I only went 3 times a week for about an 45 minutes. I too was gaining weight, but I was loosing inches. It was a bit frustrating, at first because I didn’t understand why I was gaining then they did their measurements and I was like OOOH ok! Hehehe…

April – You are right, 15 minutes is a start and that’s all it takes. I started out with just 10 minutes or walking and that was like very rare for me to even do 10 minutes. Keep it up! You’ll be going in no time!

Wow, I really bit the nail on the head this time. My posts seem to be longer and longer everyday hehehe…It must be true! I TALK TO MUCH Today was a good day starting off, tho I did wake up later than I would have liked. I had a hard night sleeping last night, was up and down all night. I fell asleep around midnight then woke up at 1 and fell back asleep sometime later, then I woke up again at 2:17 a.m. I don’t know what is up with that. We are looking at a new mattress, maybe a bed where the springs don’t poke me in the guts will help me sleep better. I did a 15 minute WATP video today. I plan on doing 40 minutes of Kathy and another 15 minutes of WATP later today tho. We’ll see what happens. I hope everyone is having a good day!

Take care!
SueMarie301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 04:38 PM   #8  

Hey Lynnie – glad the depression is easing up some! I know you have a lot going on! Hopefully things will calm down for you soon, and you can take more time for yourself. Hugs!

Hey Judomom – losing 5.8% body fat is awesome! Thanks for posting your workout. It helps me see and understand what you are talking about and it gives me good ideas also. I am soooooooooooo glad that you and your dh went out to dinner for you anniversary! HAPPY ANNIVERSARY a day late! I am so sorry to hear about the trouble with your son. I’m glad you can see the silver lining in the struggles. While reading your post I was thinking that it could be a thing that he has to be in at 9 every night and the anger management and AA will probably help him also. Hopefully it will all work out for good girlie! Try to stay positive and focused on your Lord! I know its hard with all the turmoil swirling around you. I will continue to pray for you and your family!

Hey April – congrats on the 15 minute walk! That’s GREAT!

Hey SueMarie – you are too cute! Ok roux (pronounced RUE, like the first 2 letters of the name Ruth) is actually made from flour and oil that you cook down in a black skillet until it’s almost burnt (doesn’t that sound lovely), but you can buy ready made roux usually in a jar. It looks like brown mud with some oil settled at the top. It is usually around the stuff where you find ready made mixes like jambalaya or red beans & rice, etc. I just don’t know if you have that stuff in California. Also you can buy roux in powder form, but it is not quite as good as the real stuff, but better for you. I don’t know if this helps or makes any sense. Hey, if you really want some and can't find it, let me know and I will get you a couple of jars and box them up and mail it to you with the recipe to make a real Louisiana gumbo. Just let me know.

hugs,
cathy

Last edited by cathyxxx; 07-15-2004 at 04:41 PM.
Old 07-15-2004, 04:44 PM   #9  
Divine Gal

Sue I assure you if I don't lose some of this weight I won't be going.Its in Maryland and I was chunky in high school too but not as big as I am now.

Thanks Cathy; its always good to hear how cheerful people are on this board.
lynnie24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 05:25 PM   #10  
CIN

Hi Y"all
Sue Marie.I wouldnt know how to start what you were talking about........honey I am lucky to post here and e mail!

Judo Mom...... :st rong: Go Woman!! Good for you!

Tomorrow I am involved in a research opinion group from *;30-5 PM...get paid $150 for my opinion! Easy for a woman.right?!!!! No catches! I am excited! So I wont be in here during the day needless to say.they provide breakfast & lunch also! makes me happy!

See you all later.

Miss Liz.where is she? Also anyone at all heard from Sweetpea.havent seen her in ages.............! LindaT & Sweet.....................sure miss them both!

Cin
CIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 12:28 AM   #11  
Oooo Silly Me!

Cathyxxx – wow, how sweet. Let me take a look one more time and see if I can find it… maybe I’ll find this “mud” yer talking about hehehehe.

Lynnie – yes I know the feeling, I am twice the size I was in high school… at least then I was playing sports… *big hugz*

CIN - hehehe okie well I figured it might help… sometimes I get a little ahead of myself when explaining things heheheh and I even leave me feeling confused. Cause I know what I said I make sense but the way I said it didn’t…

I just did another 40 minutes with Kathy… is it me or is she looking thinner and thinner each time I watch the video? Cathyxxx what do you think? oh BTW I did the second dvd and my goodness, I thought I was gonna die LOL… a bit more extreme for me. I think I’ll stay with the first dvd for now. I’m about to head out. It’s a nice night and I decided I am gonna do my mile walk outside tonight.

Take care ladies!
SueMarie301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 08:54 AM   #12  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Cathy, you dog you !! another pound WTG you really deserve it lady.

Lynnie, nice to see you sweetie, good to see your depression is lightening up. Hey ! bunny puberty ROFLMFAO !!! you silly ninny. Lynnie when I was in HS my senior year I weighed over 300 lbs. When I went to my HS reunion 10th year, I weighed 150 lbs...nobody knew who I was it was neat. I won person who changed the most award I did look hot! But you know the reunion kinda sucked b/c the people were still the same morons they were when we graduated LOL. In HS I only had a few friends and now that its 22 years later, I am still friends with them and when our 20th year came about I didn't go But all in all I"m so glad I did go to the 10 year reunion, I did get to see some people I had fun with and I got to see alot of the jocks go fat and bald You have a goal to lose some weight b/4 the reunion... I say GO FOR IT, YOU CAN DO IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CIN!! 150 bucks, free lunch.... can I come ? Have fun

JudoMom your training looks fantastic and contrats on the fat loss. I know seeing the #'s go down is the highlight of anyone's hard week's efforts but knowing the extra muscle is going to work harder for us to lose is just as wonderful. I'm really sorry to hear about your son, but please know, you are not alone. I will be praying for you and your family. Hugs !!!!

April good for you for going for a walk. HEY! they say that after your meals you should go for a short walk b/c it gets the blood pumping and it does help. So good for you.

Sue, I think you can make Roux, I'm not sure but I think I remember seeing on the food channel them making it out of butter or meat fat, flour and spices, I'll have to look into it but it looks very easy to make.

Here we go...couldn't wait:

http://southernfood.about.com/librar...htmakeroux.htm

http://www.cajuncookingrecipes.com/m...x/makeroux.htm

Yep its what I thought it was.
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 10:16 AM   #13  

Hey I quickly looked at the "making roux" recipe on the "cajuncookingrecipes" thread you posted Leenie, and that is exactly how we make the roux down here in Louisiana. It can be a little tricky, like it says, don't burn it, if it gets black specks in it, then it is burnt and it will taste burnt. That's why a lot of us down here just buy the ready made roux in the jar - it is really better then I can make.