South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 07-13-2004, 05:26 PM   #1  

Default Grains

This morning I read a thread whereby grains are discussed. I cannot find it. Are grains allowed on Phase 2? Cous-cous, wheatberries? I'm ready to start Phase 2 and need all the help and easy food ideas I can get.
Old 07-13-2004, 05:43 PM   #2  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Hi, Carol!

Here's the thread: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43258

Yes, you can have both Couscous and wheatberries. I love the boxed grains that you can boil...especially Near East's ones, Casbah's, and Seeds of Change (their "Great Grains" mix is awesome!). Enjoy! Do you have the Good Fats, Good Carbs Guide? It's inexpensive and really helpful for questions like these...though we're always glad to help.
Old 07-13-2004, 06:33 PM   #3  

Default great grains

Yes, I have the book and will browse it tonight. I'm ready for Phase 2. I might start tomorrow.
I just cooked the caulifower mashed potatoes. Horrible! What are people thinking? I did it just like the book said. The only recipe I've liked so far is Popcorn Cauliflower. I hope to the thread where that recipe is, because I do not think I'll be using recipes in the SBD book.
Old 07-14-2004, 09:02 AM   #4  
I can do this!

Carol, there are lots of great recipes in the SBD book and cookbook, you just have to try them and find the ones you like. A lot of us mention what we've made and liked in the daily thread. Check it out.

I didn't really like the cauliflower in the book either, but others have loved it. If you like the one they make at Ruby Tuesday, let me know...someone on the board linked to www.topsecretrecipes.com where they had posted the mock version of them (it's no longer there but I copied it and would be glad to share). There is also another version of the cauliflower in the forum. Try adding different things to make the mashed cauliflower your own. Also, let the cauliflower sit before eating so they firm up, and make sure you really puree them (after cooking them for a while so they are really soft).

Did you get the cookbook? It has a lot of great recipes!
Old 07-14-2004, 09:09 AM   #5  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

I looked at the Near East grains and they were so high in sugar, fat and calories that I dropped the box in the aisle!

Maybe I am looking at the wrong stuff?

And what are wheatberried?

Carol -- did you use a food processor and not blender? I process for like 3 minutes to get that creamy smooth consistency. I add the Smart Blend butter stuff and skim milk like i would normal potatoes, then salt and pepper. It's yummy!!! And I loathe cauliflower!
Old 07-14-2004, 09:20 AM   #6  
I can do this!

Jenn, I think you might have the wrong stuff...here's the nutrition info for Near East Couscous with Garlic and Olive Oil (be aware that our serving size is half of theirs):

And here's the one for the Couscous with Pine Nuts (yummy! ):

Wheatberries...I'm not sure what they are, but they are delicious!
Old 07-14-2004, 09:38 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

from The Cook's Thesaurus www dot foodsubs.com

wheat berries = hard wheat berries = whole wheat berries Notes: These are wheat kernels that have been stripped only of their inedible outer hulls. They're nutritious, but they take hours to cook. If you don't have the patience to use the whole berries, try the more convenient cracked wheat or bulgur

Sometimes it's called wheat seed.
Old 07-14-2004, 09:48 AM   #8  

Height: 5' 7"

I'd like to put in a plug for whole grain cereals here.

Read the side panels of the cereals like Uncle Sam's or Kashi 7 grains with Sesame, and look for ingredients like whole wheat, whole rye, whole oats, etc. The thing I like about these foods is that they don't have to be cooked!

At our house, we like steel cut oatmeal, when we have oatmeal for breakfast, with lots of cinnamon. Yum!
Old 07-14-2004, 09:58 AM   #9  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

Ok maybe it was the "other" carbs that I was worried about...thanks Laurie!
Closed Thread