Old 07-12-2004, 01:24 AM   #1  

Height: 5'1"

Unhappy An eye opener!!

Today while shopping at the grocery store, James decided to check his Blood Pressure....and he thought it was high 130/74. I told him that it wasn't, but it is higher than his usual readings. So I decided that I would check mine too. I had been checking my pressure off and on and it's been in the normal range for the last few years. Well today I had a shock. It read 140/94!! I was not happy. In fact, my heart skipped a beat.

I had worked so hard years before to do everything I can to lower it and to prevent it from going up. But I guess lately I have been slacking BIG TIME! I know that the BIGGEST issue I have that is probably causing it to rise is smoking. I know it is. Plain and simple. (I know that my weight isn't helping either but smoking is a bigger part of that) But as much as I want to quit, I can't just go cold turkey. I will have to ween myself away. It's just a matter of life and death if I don't!!

I have been told by doctors to not always rely on the BP machines in the stores, and I don't usually.....as long as I see it in the normal range. But just seeing the high numbers, and knowing that those numbers had my doctors concerned before really opened my eyes.

I have got to go back to my healthy lifestyle. No more piddling around and doing it half a**ed! Time to get serious. I don't want to start seeing stars when I climb a flight of stairs, I don't want to get dizzy when I walk a little distance, I don't want to have such a major headache that I worry myself to death thinking I'm going to have a stroke!! All those I've experienced before!

Time to start treating my body like it's suppose to be treated. Time to love my body. Time to take care of my body. Time to WAKE up!!

So....I'm going to go back and do everything that I used to do when I had these issues and make it stick. I will start exercising more, lower my fats & carbs and up my proteins, cut down on my caffiene, cut down on my sodium, and most of all.......stop smoking!!!!!

It's going to be hard, but it's got to be done. No more slacking!! And I know I have all you girls here to support me and pick me back up when I have fallen and feel like I can't go on.

So, I may be posting more (more?! don't I post enough already? ) often due to grumpiness (I get that way when I try to ween from smoking) or when I feel I need to talk to calm myself down or whatever. Or I may just post as I usually do. Just pretty much warning you all.

Thank you for listening to me. I almost didn't tell anyone. But then how is that going to help me get myself back to being healthy? Why deny what's happening? Time to face reality.*****sigh***** and here I thought I could stay in fantasy land forever.......

I hope I make a difference within a few months. I will definately keep you all posted.

Marti

(oh...in case any of you wondered...the highest my pressure has been that ended up with me being put on medication was 144/104-----getting to close too that again)
Marti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 05:09 AM   #2  
self portrait

you know I am here to keep you in line and offer support and I can kick your butt into gear with the smoking thing. I do recall saying lots of stuff about it being bad and to quit, but I guess my opinion doesn't count. sniff , sniff. :-) So I can be Miss No-smoking drill sergant to you missy. Feel my wrath!!!! I know where you live!!!!! I am rooting for you and know you can do it. !!!!!!!!! Yeah for Marti!!!!!!
SqueakMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 07:12 AM   #3  
GmaTo8

Thumbs up

((((((((HUGS)))))))) Marti,

High BP is serious business, and I'm glad you've decided to take steps to lower it. (Neal also has high BP) Just put the ciggies down - no more!!

I know we've talked about this before, but when I stopped smoking almost 7 years ago, I used the patch. Not at night - it can cause nightmares. But do whatever you've gotta do to stop! You can do this! Keep fruit in the house because the fructose helps release the nicotine at a slower rate so you don't feel withdrawals so sharply, according to the American Cancer Society.

It's the same as with dieting or any other addition - if you want it bad enough, you'll do it! And think how good you, your house and car will smell!

We're all pulling for you, friend!
Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 09:51 AM   #4  
RosieKate

Marti - As a former smoker, you have my unqualified support in quitting. It is truly incredible how your life improves after you stop. I quit smoking 13 years ago....and it still is hard to be around secondhand smoke or things that smell like smoke. It just triggers some real negative thing in me. I never used to notice the smells when I was a smoker, but now I am just super sensitive to them.
Doc told me at a physical awhile back that after ten years of quitting,your body completely heals from all the damage. He said that it was like I had never smoked. So, keep your eyes on the prize!
Old 07-12-2004, 01:32 PM   #5  

Thank you ladies for your caring words.

Shanna--I know you've talked to me about this before...so has a lot of people....most importantly my daughter has. I have quit before, I know I can do it again.....it's just gets harder the second or third time around. You know what I mean? So no cigarette police....just a stern talking to if you see me light up. Oh....and I apologize now if I ever sound like a b**** during the quitting time!!

Jana--I've heard about the fruit. Especially Oranges. James tell me to eat mroe vitamin C. He says that it does something for you...so I will be doing that.

RosieKate--I know that the body heals after awhile....thanks for reminding me. That is truly something to look forward too.

James bought some smoke away...he is having a more difficult time with it. He smokes a pack and a half a day. I can make mine last for three. So it's not like I'm constanly smoking......but it's still not good. So we will be doing this together...or actually, apart...I will be trying to quit while he's gone. He'll be working on it while he's up there. Or when he gets back...trying to go through test and quitting smoking isn't really a good idea......But...it will be done!! That is a PROMISE!!!

Ok..rambling here.

Best get

Marti
Old 07-12-2004, 04:11 PM   #6  
RosieKate

I'm glad to hear James is doing this ,too. The biggest help to me when I was quitting was moving out of an apartment I shared with a smoker. Just being around it everyday made it nearly impossible to quit.

Here's a little something for you and James to think about. My late grandfather and grandma (still living) were both easily pack a day smokers since they were 18 years olds, about the time they married. One day, when they were about 50 yrs old, they just decided to quit. Both. On the same day. And they never lit up ever again. It is possible, and i think having both spouses committ together is the key. It's not easy but it can be done - good for you both!
Old 07-13-2004, 09:14 PM   #7  

Well girls--

I've been weening myself pretty well. I have smoked maybe three cigarettes today. I decided this is how I'm going to do it. Gradually.....That way I'm not a royal pain in the butt if I were to quit Cold Turkey (which I did the last time)

It's going to happen. I'm not buying any more. I have plans to use the money I save to buy me things that I want. Rather than buying cigarettes that will eventually kill me.

Anyway.....Just wanted to update you on how it's going.

Thanks for all the support!!

Marti
Old 07-19-2004, 12:04 AM   #8  
a work in progress

Default haven't been here for soooooooo long it seems...

Marti, I just popped in tonight, haven't been here for a while. Just wanted you to know that Tim quit smoking 4 1/2 years ago. He used the gum -- not chewing 10-15 pieces a day like the directions said, but basically just chewing a piece when the craving hit him and he needed a cigarette BAD. It worked for him. However you do it, hon, we're behind you! Hang in there...
Katiecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 01:36 AM   #9  

Thank you Katie for your support. I so appreciate it!!

I'm going to try to really cut down this week...I will keep you all posted!!
Old 07-21-2004, 07:22 AM   #10  
self portrait

;-)
SqueakMouse is offline   Reply With Quote