Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 07-06-2004, 02:53 PM   #1  

Default post op questions

Well here I am , I actually did it (I'm kind of surprised considering I had a panic attack in front of the nurse who was getting me ready for surgery, and I almost made my husband take me home! Oh boy, that nurse was not happy with me!) Anyway I said a prayer and felt much calmer. I can't tell you how thrilled I was to wake up and be alive!

I had it laproscopic and had trouble with water at first, but I believe that was because of nausea from the morphine. Now I am fine and am at home (surgery was on the 30th) and have eaten yogurt, cheese, broth, jello, etc with no problems. But I have a few questions, maybe some of you more experienced ones can help me with:
1. How long did it take for you to poop? I haven't yet...
2. I still kind of feel like my guts want to fall out when I walk around (even thought I had laproscopic, and it is getting a tad better every day.) Did you feel this? Did it last long?
3. How active did you get by day 6? How about by day 14? I get up and walk around the house several times a day, but sometimes I feel a little dizzy (I think from the pain meds.)
4. Do you think it's normal for me to still need pain meds? I have a strange feeling sometimes like I'm hungry, but then I'll get little aches in other spots in the surgery region so I take a pain pill and it seems to do the trick. Do you think this is normal?
5. How long did it take you to feel okay when you bend over?
6. I have that little breathing thing that I have to do everyday, where you have to get it to a certain number. How long did it take you to get back to normal?

The surgery went really very smoothly, except I had to stay an extra day in the hospital because I had trouble drinking (nausea, but I haven't thrown up yet, thank goodness!) I didn't have to have my drain in at home thank goodness, that was just so horribly horrible, I hated that thing.

One funny side note, every night I dream about eating masses of icecream and chocolate and cake and pasta and pizza! I n the dream I'm like "This will hurt my tummy" but it doesn't, and when I wake up I am so relieved that I didn't really do it

Anyway I know you guys don't even know me, but I appreciate you taking time out for me.
blue eyed soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 03:32 PM   #2  

BES

WOW, I could have written your post for you. My surgery was on the 25th. I too had my RNY laproscopically only half way through they had to switch to a full open so now I have a 14" incision.

Lets see:
First poop... Still waiting for a real meaningful on but comeing close.
Activities:... Walking around the house a lot and short walks outside. Went shopping yesterday and was pretty tired when I finally got home.
Pain meds:... I don't know on the pain meds. I'm only sore at my incision area but I also take other pain meds for a chronic back pain.
Aspirometer?... I think that is what it is called. I didn't get one this time for some reason. As long as you are up and active it isn't as critical.

I came home with two drains and had them and half my staples removed last week. Tomarrow I get the remainder of my staples out and will check my weight to see if everything is working.

Good luck with your recovery and we will have to compare notes as we go.
P-38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 04:01 PM   #3  
Old Cackler

this has to be quick... will try to answer more later.. but let's talk about the dizziness.. yes, it COULD be from the pain meds, which you should not be needing so very much these days, but it's more likely that it's from LOW BLOOD SUGAR because you're not getting enough protein OR DEHYDRATION!!!

drink up!!!!!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 04:02 PM   #4  
Old Cackler

and PS.. that bending over thing? i couldn't tie my shoes for more than a week... and bending over was uncomfortable for about 2... and then every once in a while. trust me.. your innards are NOT going to fall out..
Old 07-07-2004, 09:59 PM   #5  

Oh yes, let's do keep notes!! I'm glad you are safe and sound. Why did they have to end up doing it open instead of laparoscopic?

I get tired pretty easily too, I went out and watered the plants this morning and got SO exhausted by then end. It's interesting how much that is affected, but the nurse called me today and said the energy will come back eventually.

Is the incision really painful? I feel like a boob when I complain about my pain because yours is probably worse. My incisions hurt a bit, but mostly it's stuff inside that will get a little achy and tender (I think.) It's kind of hard to tell. So far it hasn't been anything excruciating and I was so proud of myself, I only took 1 pain pill today.

Anyway, please do keep in touch and we'll have to keep checking back and forth. Thanks for your answers, they definitely made me feel a bit more comforted!
Old 07-07-2004, 10:03 PM   #6  

Jiffy I think you are right about the water. I still struggle with it a bit, it's the number one thing I need to keep working on. I thought maybe it was the protein, but I am only supposed to eat 3 2oz meals a day, and they are all basically protein so I don't know how I could get more than that!

I thought of another question, what vitamins does everyone find most effective? Right now I am doing a chewable Centrum one-a-day so I hope that is a good one... But if there's any way to keep the eventual hair loss to a minimum I'd love to know it!

Thanks for taking time out to answer my questions Jiffy, you are so sweet.
Old 07-07-2004, 11:25 PM   #7  
Old Cackler

blue eyes: how much protein are you supposed to be getting? three 2-oz meals are a recipe for low blood sugar. there is absolutely no way you can get anything close to nutrition with this regimen. your hair loss will be MUCH worse if you don't get a bare minimum of about 40 grams of protein a day... some docs want their patients to have more. mine wanted me to have 100 grams because i was so SPECIAL [so very overweight with serious edema problems and i'm tall. and apparently tall people need more protein. who knew????]

check with your doc. i strongly suspect you need a couple of protein shakes along with LOTS of water.

as for the vitamins.. yeah, i'm a pill wimp, too. i took the centrum chewables for awhile, but decided i didn't like the taste. so i've switched to centrum rug rats. also chewables [of course!!!]. some people use liquid vits, but i've never found one that i could choke down. some brave souls use the really big vits. not me!!!!

others use one a days. some use theragram. sooooo bottom line: as long as it's a good quality multi, and you can get it down consistently. go for it!!!

don't forget to take calcium that's not carbonate. a person needs stomach acid to absorb the carbonate, and we don't have any. that means no viactiv chews. and no citracal. they're carbonate.
Old 07-08-2004, 09:14 AM   #8  

Guess I am a wimp too--LOL--I am taking flintstones chewable vitamins. Good luck!
mistyseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 03:44 PM   #9  

I'm not sure what to do about the protein, I was worried about that too after seeing on here that most people have a minimum amount they are supposed to eat per day. My doctor didn't give me an amount, and in all the literature I have from the program it doesn't specify an amount. It just says what kinds of things are appropriate and when you can start eating them.

I actually asked the nurse about it yesterday before I posted, because a friend of mine (who had it done at the same place) says she eats every 2 and a half hours (her mom and sister had it done somewhere else and she does it their way) so I wondered if I should be eating more protein. My doctor's nurse said I need to keep doing the 3 meals for a while and the extra 2 snacks don't come until later. So I am not sure what to do. Do you think I should just go ahead and eat extra protein?

The problem is I think it's next to impossible to talk to my surgeon personally, you have to go through his nurse, and my appointment isn't until AUgust.

Meanwhile, I am feeling good today (but pretty low energy, no surprise) so things are still going well. A little less painful every day!
Old 07-08-2004, 03:46 PM   #10  

I thought about the flintstones, I almost got those! But then I saw the Centrums and they are orange flavored so I thought I would give it a try...
Old 07-08-2004, 06:21 PM   #11  
Old Cackler

i lke the flintstones better than the orange centrums, but i'm enjoying the rugrats.

as for the protein, darlin. blue eyes. you need it to heal. the nurse is wrong.

i had to consume about 15 grams of protein every 3 hours in order to stay upright. that whole 'actual eating schedule' which it sounds like your nurse is talking about, is the schedule for MUCH LATER!!!! right now, the issue is getting your body to heal. and getting in enough protein to maintain your body systems: your teeth, blood cells, white cells that fight disease.

and please, i don't mean to be critical or hurtful, but there are lots of wls programs out there that just don't have the expertise or resources to provide adequate care to their patients. that's why support groups such as this are so important. we get to talk about what we're supposed to be doing and compare it with other programs. it sounds like your friend's program is more along the lines of what most of us are doing.

this low protein thiing your nurse is telling you to do, is NOT what most of the rest of us have been told. so i'm skeptical about their experience.

take a deep breath. the protein is real important right now. water, protein, vitamins. those are your priorities.
Old 07-08-2004, 06:22 PM   #12  
Old Cackler

and PS... if you'd like to post the program you were given, go right ahead!!!!!
Old 07-13-2004, 02:03 PM   #13  

Sorry it took me so long to reply, I had to go back to the hospital for a few days because of pancreatitis (however you spell it...) I was having strange pains on Friday so Saturday I went to the ER and they made me stay until Monday. I know my surgeon was being extra extra careful and wanted to make sure it wasn't anything more serious, but I had to have a CT Scan and everything so I was terrified it was going to be big deal! Anyway I'm back now and feeling quite a bit better.

I'm not sure what to think on the protein thing. I did lots of research before I got the surgery so I know these surgeons are very experienced, but I am questioning the protein thing. Right now I am back on jello and broth until my pancreas gets a little bit more rest, so that makes it even harder. I will definitely bring it up with my surgeon, and ask him why it would be different than most programs, etc etc. In the meantime I'll see how I feel and go from there.

Luckily, my incisions and everything have been healing really well and I'm feeling much better (although the muscles on top of my shoulders ache after everything I do!!) I do have a wierd numbish-yet-tender spot on the left side of my surgery area, I'm wondering if it's because the drain was there and it's just taking a bit longer to feel better?

Anyway I'm really needing to work on the water thing too because I was pretty dehydrated when I got to the ER. That's definitely going to be a challenge for me.

Thanks for all the support and feedback, it definitely helps to see what everyone else is doing!
Old 07-23-2004, 10:38 PM   #14  

Hi--I have 2 questions.....with all this drinking, trying to get in 64 oz of water and 80g of protein shakes, can all this drinking stretch my tummy??? (i'm obsessed with stretching it, huh?? lol) And with all this drinking, how are you supposed to eat anything?? It takes me hours to drink the protein, I feel like I"m forcing myself to try and eat 3 meals, this can't be good, can it? Thanks!
Old 07-27-2004, 09:05 AM   #15  

Is anyone out there??