Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-22-2004, 11:12 PM   #1  

Default do overweight people attend reunions?

This is not meant to offend anyone!

I am 1 month away from my 20 year reunion. The plan was to loose 50 lbs since last year when the planning started, but that just didn't happen. Being a committee member was supposed to be motivational, but that just didn't happen. The thought of seeing people I haven't seen in 10 years was supposed to motivate me, but that just didn't happen. So I am 4 1/2 weeks away and a frump! (at least on the outside) I am still the same person on the inside, but does that make up for a size 22 dress?

I have noticed that none of the "overweight" alum and I say that very carefully are on the list as attending yet, (not that 20 years couldn't change anyone).

Just wondering if anyone would share their experiences of a reunion they attended. I really want to go, and probably will be the only one judging myself.

Any thought would be great!
Thanks,
Julie
partschik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 09:04 AM   #2  
WW Moderator

I skipped my last one because I was overweight and didn't want to be whispered about. That was such a big mistake. My friends went and they said almost everybody there was real life and it wasn't high school standards anymore. There were plenty of bald, overweight people along with general 'no issues' people and apparently it was very refreshing for my friends to see life balance out.

Please don't miss it! People want to see JULIE not how much Julie weighs. It won't be important to them anymore.
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 03:08 PM   #3  

I was overweight in high school, so going to reunion was not a big deal for me. I wanted to go to see certain people, so I went. True, I weighed more at each reunion than I did in high school, and of course I wished I was at least the same or smaller. And, when (if) we have another one, I'll be SMALLER than I was in high school, and I get a big kick out of that idea. But, I agree, you should go no matter what you look like. People who would whisper about you because of being overweight would find something else to whisper about if you weren't. Everybody else just wants to see YOU.
funniegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 06:36 PM   #4  
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

I really, really wanted to go - I was much heavier than I was in high school but wanted to go to see some people anyway. But none of my friends wanted to go and I didn't want to go alone - my husband didn't want to go with me and I understood why he didn't want to be left in a corner while I yakked with people he had never met. So I didn't go. I was really TICKED when I got a call from the reunion from 2 friends I saw only occasionally who just assumed I'd be there and never bothered to call me. They were the kind who would have turned their nose up at the idea of a reunion and I never thought in a million years they'd be the ones to show up there. Anyway after speaking to them (it was too late to get to the reunion that night) I went to the next day brunch but there were only about 15 people there - really disappointing...

Like Jennifer's experience, I heard that just about everyone was there - they had a great turnout. 20 years past high school you can see how priorities change. But it was a fun time they said. I regret not going.

Yes, after 20 years some have lost hair, gained weight, gone gray, gotten wrinkles and some just look wonderful. About the only ones people whispered about were the foo foo girls that looked down on everyone in high school who were less than perfect and were now not exactly the princesses they once were - know what I mean?

Go, have a great time, catch up with friends. It's not like it's a job interview and they are scrutinizing you to allow you into the graduating class - you've already done that! Just have fun, hold your head up and be proud of who you are

Last edited by happy2bme; 06-23-2004 at 06:38 PM.
happy2bme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 08:50 PM   #5  

I really want to thank all of your for your advice. I know I would regret it if I did not attend. I read in Geneen Roth's book "If you are going to eat at the refrigerator, pull up a chair", that you need to look in the mirror and realize that every bump, sag, grey hair, bulge etc is something called "life". It is just really hard to put yourself there sometimes. With every diet, and every failure I have judged myself as just that, a failure, I guess you tell yourself that enough and you really believe it, even though deep down, you know it is just crappy words. I am touched by your thoughts and thank you for your experiences....

Julie
Old 06-24-2004, 05:32 PM   #6  
"I WILL ENDURE"

Go. When I attended my 25th high school reunion -- most of us looked exactly what we were -- middle aged people. Nobody is going to look eighteen, trust me on that one.

Then too, people mature and change. I found myself making friends with people I "knew" (but not really well in high school) that have remained friends after the reunion.

You'll have a good time. Go.

Rainbowmyst
rainbowmyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 10:21 PM   #7  

Well, this thread is old now but I thought I would reply to it...

My reunion was last weekend, and what a blast! I bought a neat outfit that made me feel great. It was interesting that everyone recognized me, but then I recognized everyone also. The women seemed to have aged better than the men....with a bit of hair color and a new style! The sizes of everyone in highschool, pretty much held true for 20 years later...the skinnies were still skinny and the averages were just that.

I am so glad I went, and have rekindled my friendship with a few people, that I hadn't seen in years.

Anyone who is iffy about going to a reunion GO!!!!!

Julie