PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 06-03-2004, 06:24 PM   #1  

Question PCOS and LASIK

Hello, I’m new. I was diagnosed with PCOS about 2 years ago. I have dark chin hair, excess weight, history of irregular periods (when I was 18 I had my period for 6 months), elevated DHS? levels and insulin resistance. I’ve been on actos for about 2 years and siprolacdone and birth control for around 7. I have been researching LASIK for the last month and have appointment to see a Lasik doctor on Monday for a consultation. My question is has anyone heard of complications with LASIK due to insulin resistance or being on actos? I know they caution against diabetics getting lasik but what about people with PCOS? My researching on the web only led me to site regarding diabetes and Laisk but nothing about PCOS/insulin resistance and LASIK. Has anyone with insulin resistance had lasik done? How did it turn out?
Thank you
Lamachdy
Lamachdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 05:26 PM   #2  

Everyone is different of course, but I have had PCOS for I believe since I was 18 (I am 31 now) and I was diagnosed 2 1/2 years ago (should have been 5 years ago for the same reason as you - a never ending period, but bcp handled it so no more testing was done at that time). I had lasik about 1 1/2 years ago and it turned out wonderfully for me. Your dr should warn you of possible problems - if he is like mine he will make you watch this video of all the stuff that could go wrong. I could not even see the big E on the chart, and now i have 20/15 vision which is better than normal. One eye 20/20 and the other 20/10. I love it and think it was worth every penny. It was fast and painless. Like I said there is always a risk and I am not a dr, but in my own experience it turned out beautifully.

Cathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamachdy
Hello, I’m new. I was diagnosed with PCOS about 2 years ago. I have dark chin hair, excess weight, history of irregular periods (when I was 18 I had my period for 6 months), elevated DHS? levels and insulin resistance. I’ve been on actos for about 2 years and siprolacdone and birth control for around 7. I have been researching LASIK for the last month and have appointment to see a Lasik doctor on Monday for a consultation. My question is has anyone heard of complications with LASIK due to insulin resistance or being on actos? I know they caution against diabetics getting lasik but what about people with PCOS? My researching on the web only led me to site regarding diabetes and Laisk but nothing about PCOS/insulin resistance and LASIK. Has anyone with insulin resistance had lasik done? How did it turn out?
Thank you
Lamachdy
chase16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 05:33 PM   #3  

Smile

Thank you for the reply. I’ve been considering LASIK for a while now but all the horror stories about what can go wrong have me scared. The prospect of being glasses free is very seductive. I have worn glasses since I was 10 (I’m 25 now) and I figure I could have a good 20 years or so before I need reading glasses if I have the surgery. From what I’ve been reading I think the odd of having successful surgery comes down to making sure your surgeon is very good and that your not at risk for complications. I’ve already met with one eye doctor and I have appointments with 2 other doctors tomorrow. Hopefully one the doctors tomorrow will be familiar with PCOS and can answer all my questions (the first one was too much in a rush to talk to me).
Thank you
Lamachdy
Lamachdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 09:22 AM   #4  
WW Moderator

Noodles (who is away right now) just had eye surgery - maybe she had this type? I know she was researching it at one time. Try searching the term lasik in the search engine and see what you come up with. Maybe you will get some helpful info.
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 05:01 PM   #5  
Rattie Lover

Hello...

I haven't heard of anything about LAZIK and PCOS and any complications so I couldn't say. I will do some research on this when I get home from vacation and see what I can find.
As for me, I had double eye muscle surgery...but I would love to get LAZIK in the future now that I am not cross-eyed anymore. I just need to let my eyes rest for a while. They weren't too happy with me after having all of the muscles cut and re-aligned. I'm all healed now though. Yippee!!! Contacts in 3 weeks!!
Noodles913 is offline   Reply With Quote