Old 05-25-2004, 11:12 AM   #1  

Default Calories & Atkins

I think I may have to start using some reduced fat products. I can't seem to get my caloric intake low enough to lose any weight.

I just logged yesterday's dinner into FitDay and my day come in at over 1800 in calories. My carb count was fine.........

I know that the book says you don't need to worry about calories but what do you all think? I live on cheese as a snack.....I may have to give that up. I also find that the nuts although allowed are high in calories.

Any input and suggestions are welcome.
Thanks
Jane
jane8760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 11:46 AM   #2  
Head Princess

Don't get sucked back into buying tons of specialty products. That's part of our problem already. But you can choose things that are lower in calories. Turkey sausage instead of pork sausage. Veggies, veggies, veggies. Smaller portions. Things like that.

Calories do count!
StarPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 11:48 AM   #3  
Head Princess

Oh! And if you recall, cheese should be limited to a few ounces per day. Snaking on things like celery sticks or slices of bell pepper instead of cheese and nuts will make a big difference.
StarPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 12:30 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 158/155/125

Height: 5' 3.5"

Hi Jane. I am with Star here. Don’t go back to low fat stuff. I have been reading the labels at the grocery store and comparing the original stuff with their low fat version. What they have done is that they removed the fat and filled the void with corn starch. You just got your system rid of that stuff. If you start eating low fat versions, the carb craving will comes back with a vengeance and all your effort will go to waste.

What I have been doing is that I log everything I want to eat to FitDay in the morning. Then if one day I want to eat nuts I know that I have to reduce the servings of other stuff. Everything you are eating now is all good for your body. For a few days just watch yourself for portions and you are going to be all set.

My snacks are Stringcheese, LC yogurt, and SF Jello with whipped cream. One serving of each seems to carry me to the next meal. Also I have gotten several different kinds of decaf/herbal tea and when I feel like having something I make a big cup of tea and have it either hot or with ice and before I know it I have made it to my next meal.
rachelearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 01:24 PM   #5  
Bunnababy

S/C/G: 294/261/150

I am new to this forum but not completely new to Atkins. I am with Rachael and Star about the low fat foods, I think you will get into major trouble by trying that. Atkins is pretty adamantly against trying to do low fat and low carb. I sure understand your frustration though. I know the one thing I learned from my former experience with low carbing is junk food is junk food whether it is low carb or not and I am going to eat real food this time around. As for cheese we are only supposed to have a few ounces per day and the same with nuts that should be a small portion like 10-15 nuts.
Bunnababy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 01:42 PM   #6  

Thanks guys.....

I only have 1 string cheese a day. I do have some cottage cheese for breakfast so I guess that is also a cheese........will have to switch I think.
Also, I don't do any of the "frankenfoods". I stick to purely natural stuff.

I will try Rachels idea and log the whole week and if there is room then I will add a treat like nuts or something.

Oh this is such a battle even after all this time.
Old 05-26-2004, 08:49 AM   #7  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

I agree with you Jane on the calories matter. Lots of folks jump on my back when I say so but *phooie* on them. I have to stay around 1500 to lose or forget-a-boudit

There's a cheese I buy called Veggi Cheese, its made of soy and has less calories and no saturated fats Carb count is low also. It comes in slices and the flavors are cheddar and motz, and swiss. I eat turkey bacon all the time (louis rich brand, others can be icky) and turkey sausage (shaddy brook farms) only because pork products seem to bind me up. Also, egg beaters have less calories. Cutting a little here and there does help.

I don't see anything wrong with trying to find low sat fats/carb products (just watch the sugar content). But than thats just my opinion.

The people that are losing weight like mad are either eating less calories then they know or they are exercising alot. Bottom line with any weight loss is less calories or MORE exercise.

Bet you do wonderful.

Don't forget to take calcium, vit C and vitamins every day.
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 09:20 AM   #8  

Thanks Leenie....I take my multi and calcium everyday.