Closed Thread

Old 05-06-2004, 02:45 PM   #1  

Default Very very stuck

Ok all.. I need help. I have been on weight watchers for almost 3 years. My top weight was 343 and I am now down to 178. Of course, I'm very proud and happy but I have not yet reached my goal.

For the past year, I have been very stuck. I have basically lost about 3 pounds overall for the whole year.

I have had plateaus before but never like this. The slightest "cheat" and I gain weight quickly and then it will take me weeks to lose it again.

I follow the points and I exercise. I drink at least 8 glasses of water a day.

Then to add to my frustration, I have been very very hungry lately. It is making me miserable.

I even tried to switch to Atkins for a few months to see if I could jump start myself again and just for something different because I have been getting tired of the WW plan. I gained 6 pounds in 10 days and went back to WW. I had been successful on Atkins about 5 years so that was disappointing as well. Especially since the 10 days I was on Atkins I was very happy that I was finally feeling satisfied and not starving all the time.

I am open to any ideas or suggestions. Ideas for different diets? Ways to not be hungry? Ways to get myself going again?

I'm very afraid that I'm so close to quitting and I know it won't take me any time to gain back all the weight.

HELP!!!

Thanks in advance.
Christine
Old 05-07-2004, 02:59 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

What type of exercise are you doing? Have you shaken up your exercise routine at all? If you're not lifting weights, I encourage you to do that. If you've been doing a set routine of exercise for a long time, do something different. For example, if your exercise is walking, then take an aerobics class instead. If you're only walking 3 days a week, then walk 5 and make sure you walk up hills. Add two more glasses of water a day.

Weight Watchers offers a sheet on trying to break plateaus. If you haven't read it, be sure to request it at your next meeting. If you don't go to meetings, I can try to find information online. I have a link--just can't find it right now, but let me know.

Don't quit! You've come so darn far that it would be a shame to quit in frustration.
Old 05-07-2004, 04:58 PM   #3  

I lift weights about 4-5 times a week and do aerobics at least 2 times a week. Once in a while I will walk a few miles or use the treadmill or bike at the gym.
Old 05-07-2004, 05:31 PM   #4  
Running Babe

You might want to reduce your weight training to three days and add one or two more cardio sessions... Just a suggestion! You've done AMAZING so far Congrats!!

Cheers!

Ali
Old 05-24-2004, 03:55 PM   #5  

I was in the same position as you were with the exception that I did give up after a year-long plateau. My weight in the last five years has gone from 320 to 180 to 331. I've almost lost that extra 10 in what is probably my tenth Weight Watchers adventure.

As someone who once weighed over 300, I think that people like us carry extra weight in places we can't get rid of it, like in our bones. I can't remember the source of the info but I do remember reading that heavy people have heavy bones and this could be part of the reason that you're hovering at 178. Another thing to keep in mind is what you have accomplished thus far--you've lost well over 150 pounds and it is imperative that you applaud yourself for that on a regular basis. One of the reasons that the weight started coming back for me was that I forgot what I had accomplished and was only focusing on what I had not. Think of the difference in your quality of life now compared to what it was at 340+. Being an extra-extra-large person is difficult, to say the least, and you have put that behind you.

I am not advising you to quit trying to lose your extra weight but as someone who lost a lot and gained even more back, I just want you to be kind to yourself and remember to congratulate yourself on what you've done so far. 178 is just a number--it might not be what you want but it's a far healthier weight than where you started.

Be proud and stay healthy,

Wubby
Closed Thread