Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Closed Thread

Old 04-03-2001, 09:59 AM   #1  

Wink

I've been at 3fc for three years, and finally joined Weight Watchers in January. I lost 30 lbs, and thought this was the greatest thing!
Last month, a MRI, and Cat Scan and Biopsy showed head neck and brain tumors.
I'm being treated in StatenIsland University Hospital, and have been given steroids to shrink the tumors, because of the pain.

Now my doctor tells me the side effects are moon face, increase in appetite, moodiness, and insomnia. He said in order to get any relief while on radiation and chemo, I must stay on the steroids ..

I have gained 5 lbs in two days, and am concerned. Would you think I should just stick to the low-points WW soup, and lots of vegetables, and fruits? How would I control the weight gain?
No, chemo is not preventing me from eating, which is good health wise,
but I think losing more weight the right way would help.

Please give me any suggestions, if you have anyone thats been through this.
Olga
Old 04-04-2001, 03:38 PM   #2  

I'm so sorry this has happened to you. My sister takes prednisone for arthritis. She has had the same side effects at times that you mentioned, but she has also been able to lose weight too.

My sister and I both follow the WW program too. I would keep eating healthy like you are and watch the sodium intake.

Sorry I'm not more help, but I just wanted to say that it is possible to lose weight while on steroids, it's just a little harder. Even if you can't stop the weight gain, it would be worse if you were not watching what you ate.
Old 04-05-2001, 03:41 PM   #3  

I guess you are right Janet. I have to think of my health first. I can always lose the weight later. I guess all that effort put into the weight loss, and now this.
I will keep off the salt also, because that seems to make it worse.
Hope everything goes well with your sister too.
Thanks for the reply.
Olga
Old 04-07-2001, 09:06 AM   #4  
Chick-a-dee

Olga,

I have also been on steroids (once as high as 200mg/day) for asthma. They do increase your appetite, and I found that the agitation I felt as a side effect made me search for food even when I wasn't hungry. They also make you retain water.

I agree with Janet, you can lose even on steroids. You should still eat within your point range, but watch the sodium and consider increasing your water, which will help prevent so much fluid retention. If you are able to exercise it might help keep your metabolism up AND give you something to do when you feel the steroid crazies upon you.

Good luck with this challenge in your life. I hope you remain as healthy as you can so you will have the physical and emotional strength to fight. Please keep coming back for support! My experience is that while you might feel extra energetic (or even hyper) on the prednisone, it will sometimes magnify feelings of anxiety and make you feel emotionally drained, so hang in there and make good use of whatever support you have available.

Hugs,

Annie
Old 04-07-2001, 10:55 AM   #5  

Hi Annie,
You are definately right about those steroids. They are like speed. Yesterday morning, I cleaned all my houseplants and put them on the porch, I did ten tons of laundry, till 2:30 a.m., and am up since 7:00a.m., drying, and folding and putting away. This is like a can of stp for me. I can't sit still. But, I am putting all the junk food in the garbage, I got all fruits vegetables, whole grains, and lots of bottled water. I am going to eat, but I will not load up and ruin everything and gain.
Sound pretty upbeat for someone who just got a biopsy report of malignant, no? Its a battle, but I will beat this.
I appreciate any information anyone has, because this is the toughest battle of my life, more than the weight loss issue. There will be times, I wish I could gain weight I'm sure, but I know I can come here, and talk to some friends.

Thanks again, Annie.
Olga
Old 04-07-2001, 12:37 PM   #6  
Chick-a-dee

Olga,

Good for you! Do everything you can to stay positive and channel that excess energy into getting well. Let's hope you don't run out of things to clean while you're on the steroids! One night I played 457 games of solitaire because I was so hyped up I couldn't sleep. I didn't know it was keeping track of the games until later! HA! My boss likes me on steroids, because I can see about 30% more patients in a day than normal, LOL

Happily I've not needed prednisone in a good while, but I'm glad it's there for the times I do!

Hang in there and let us know how things go.

Annie
Old 04-14-2001, 05:40 AM   #7  

Thats funny Annie.
Well, I cooked Easter dinner, I ate it, and am eating again. And guess what? Its not Easter yet. So I didn't do Good Friday, God will understand. I am trying to do a normal routine at home, for my daughter and husband, and she got her Easter Basket this morning. I must say those Dove truffle eggs are darn delicious!!
The steroids, percocet, are really making me moon-faced, and weird, and Monday morning I go into the hospital for my 25 consecutive radiation and chemo treatments. I think food will be the last of my problems for a while.Hopefully, after ths, will be weaned off steroids, and painkillers, and will live almost normal life.
I guess this is just a wake up call, that we take our health for granted. I know I did.
Happy Easter to all,
and thanks for the support friends.
Olga
Old 04-14-2001, 05:46 PM   #8  
Chick-a-dee

Olga,

Trying to keep up a normal routine in the midst of upheaval is tough. God understands. May He bless you and bring you and your family peace, comfort and endurance.

Hugs,

Annie
Closed Thread