Support Groups - Way Over 40 #8

View Full Version : Way Over 40 #8

ageoldie
03-26-2004, 10:21 AM
Yes I know I've been MIA. So What do I do to make my presence known? I start a new threat!!! That way you will have my lovely picture to look at even if I am a slug about posting.

We have been extremly busy at work, we have finally got the fiberglass plant up and running, but it is still taking all of Alvin & Marks time, so I am left to run things at the office/warehouse. I thought when the loan was approved that the pressure would let up, but boy was I wrong.

[Tahoma]Alice[/FONT] I'm sorry to hear about the machine shop closing, but if you can afford it, it sound great not to have all the pressures of a business. I fought for 30 years against having our own business, and finally got tired of fighting. I had lived with my parents ups and downs of having a business all my life, and now I'm right back in the same boat. When it's going good it's great, but when it's slow, it's terrible.

We have some close friends that are part owners of a machine shop here in Dallas (three brothers do the machining and 1 sister does the bookkeeping, etc. and the sister is our friend) and it's really up and down with them. Sometimes things are so slow she doesn't have any work and doesn't go in but to do payroll, then the next thing you know, she's there all the time, and the guys are working 12 & 14 hours days. At least our business is not so deadline oreinted.

Also, don't pull a Berniece on us and forget all about us when you get to Florida!!!

Siwa Glad you made it home and thing are back to normal. I could really get into the "hotel living" mode. I wish I had someone to come in for a few hours a day and clean and straighten up after us. Pick up the papers we leave strowed around, do the dishes every day, and especially change the cat litter!!! And if they wanted to start supper every now and then, that would be fine too. On yess then there's the laundry... I could go on and on...

CJ You amaze me with all you do and how well controlled you are with your eating and everything in your life with all the pain you are in all the time. Just keep up the good work. You are truely an inspiration when I get to feeling like I hurt to much to do anything, I think of you.

Katey Are you beginning to feel left out, not moving to Florida? I can't imagine all the snow you have been having this year. It is truely spring here in Dallas. I've moved all my houseplants to the patio already, and plantied annuals, and my perennells (that's not spelled right, but I don't have a clue what to do to correct it) are blooming, the grass is getting green, Sorry didn't mean to tease you. Anyway it is nice here.

Ann Are you going to have a Chick Meet when everyone ends up being your neighbors? I've only been across the top of Florida, and then in the Miami area, so I really don't have a feel for how far it is from north to south or from coast to coast. About how long does it take to drive from one end of the state to the other?

So you are getting used to the Lady of Leisure thing! How are things running without you at the stern? I'm sure you find plenty to do as it is.

Has anyone noticed that I have not mentioned weight? There is a reason. Things are more than stalled in that department. I think that I got so down after being kicked out of 2 research studies, I just shut down for a while. I have an appointment with my PCP on Wednesday and I am going to talk to her about my options. See if she has a "plan" that will work. And I am still thinking WLS, but still on the scared side. Maybe I'll try Hypnosis again. I did that once many years ago and loved it, but tried it again years after that and didn't like the person doing it and never got anything out of it. I may look into that.[/font]

Lizziepie
03-26-2004, 10:57 PM
Hi Barb: Glad you started the new thread. It certainly was time. It would be nice to have a Chick party when we get all the group or even part, in Florida. You certainly sound like you are very busy.

Florida is quite a big state. I don't actually know how long it would take to drive from one end to the other, but my best guesstimate would be from 10 to 12 hours. No to drive from side to side is different. Where we live it is one hour to either coast, so you can figure that out. :lol: But I know some places are a bit wider too.

I am enjoying not having the responsibility of being 'head honcho' Nice to be able to help or to say no sometimes.

I'm sort of stalled in the weight loss department too. But I just know it is a never ending battle. Never give up, I keep telling myself.

Tomorrow will be a busy day. We are setting up for a big reception for our Pastor and his wife. He will be leaving us and Sunday is his last Sunday with us after 18 years. It will be a bittersweet day, as we have a new Pastor coming May 1st, but it will be hard to say goodby also.

Hi to all. :wave: Ann

Lizziepie
03-29-2004, 01:41 PM
The reception is over, we have all said our goodbyes, and shed a few tears. Our committee was very busy running with dishes, and keeping the food tables full. it was a nice reception.

Tonight our Kitchen Band is doing a show, and some of the chorus members are serving punch and cookies afterward. They do it for us, and so we return the favor.
Then I think we are really winding down.

I guess everyone had a busy weekend, as no one has had anything to say. See you later. :wave: Ann

Siwaoasis
03-29-2004, 02:00 PM
I for one, did not have a busy weekend. Just didn't look at the puter. I use it less often now that I'm home. When we were in AL the puter was right in the middle of things so it was more convenient --plus I had nothing else to do. DS cooked dinner last nite then the 3 of us went to a movie--"Lady Killers" Not the best movie. I'd heard the unfavorable reviews but wanted to see it anyway. VERY slow moving in places. I'd rate it mildly entertaining.

ANN--I actually wish our minister would leave. Eveyone (but DS and I, it seems) just loves him. I think he's too controling. He's been with that church longer than I have so don't know how many years but I think it's about 20. We chose that particular church because it had/has a strong youth program. The youth director is leaving after 8 years now. All the kids and parents love her. DS works with her on Wednesdays and is sorry to see her leave.

Lizziepie
03-29-2004, 10:36 PM
Siwa: That's tough to lose a good youth person. And I'm sorry that you arne't happy with your Pastor. I think there always comes a time when it is best for a Pastor to move on. They have probably done all they can for their congregation and it is time for new ideas. There was not animosity or difficulty with ours leaving. He is not going to another church, just feels that God now has another direction for his life. So yesterday was a sad but joyous day at the same time.

ageoldie
03-30-2004, 09:39 PM
Just dropping in to say hi. Still not feeling good. Have an appointment with my PCP tomorrow. Maybe she will give me some meds or something to end this stuff!

Candicej
03-31-2004, 03:59 AM
Barb..love your "kitty"!!!!!!!! Thanks for the kind words, you made my day:D

My puter is not doing to well and it is hard to post some days, seems my ram is messed up (don't have enough) even after my son put more in and DH says a new computer is out for now. Just very frustrating to not beable to get it to work right! Been working in the attic, we have lots of mice up there and they are messy little critters! Stink...pew.....Trying to get things washed up and reboxed to store again! I have already thrown out 20 large garbage bags of unsalvageable stuff! The mice must have had a very big party up there! Got a DR. appt today and hope to get some errands run, better try to get some z's!

Candicej
04-02-2004, 10:09 AM
My trip out was not successful..the car has to be towed so DH picked me up and we at Mc D,s. one of the new salads. Then I worked some more on the attic and got an hour in the yard. Same yesterday. 1 hr yard work 2 hrs attic. I think the baby bed has to be pitched due to mouse damage! I have washed up all the bears , what a about cabbage patch dolss can they be washed? and need to try and wash some other stuff things too. Yucky mess it is...............tons of basets I will put outside to soak later too. I have pitched and pitched!

aleka
04-02-2004, 07:48 PM
Good evening everyone,

I didn't realize there was a new thread! I've been thinking to myself, gee, nobody has posted on #7.

Barb, we have gone through some lean times with our machine shop, but we always had some work. We hadn't had anything since Dec. and DH had called our vendors to see if they had anything, but they were awfully slow too and it didn't look like things would pick up anytime soon. We really enjoyed the 20 yrs. we were in business, as we got to come and go as we pleased. How did your appt. with your PCP go?

Ann, it takes us about 6 hrs. or so to travel from Ft Myers to the FL/GA border. We are heading down there on Wed. and expect to arrive on Sat. While we are there we plan on looking around for houses. My ILs have been sending RE guides up for the past few weeks. Some of the house we've seen in the guide are already pending. I can't believe how fast houses sell down there!

Candice, sorry about your computer woes and car problems. Hope both are up and running soon. Can you get an exterminator to come in to trap the mice? We have a local exterminator who uses "Have-a-Heart" traps and a lot of people use him. I hate mice, but hate to see them suffer.

Siwa, sorry that the youth director for your church is leaving, it's always sad to lose someone who is so popular.

Have a great weekend everyone.
Alice

Siwaoasis
04-03-2004, 12:20 PM
Not much happening on my end. Watching spring come--the grass is greening nicely and have a few tulips coming up about 3". It's been a nice slow change into spring this year. We've had 60's then became cooler and now we're in the 50's daily. More typical is still in the 40's so I feel fortunate. DH has been working on a closet organizer in our closet. Our bed is covered w/clothes so we've been sellping in the guest room. Glad to have an extra bedroom for times like this.

ALICE--Good luck finding a place suitable for you in FL. After spending a winter in the condo I am beginning to think more seriously about a townhouse. I love my garden but........maybe sitting on a deck would be just as nice. This is the 1st time I've thought about my garden as work. we'll see when we're fully in the season how I feel.

CANDICE--I'm also in awe of you. You talk about eating cookies and other goodies all the time but you keep you weight in check. I'm not so fortunate. I'm still struggling to reach my goal but continually sabotage my efforts.

ageoldie
04-03-2004, 08:17 PM
Well my doc gave me three different prescriptions, so I am finally feeling better. I go back next Wed to see how things are going, and to talk about the results of the blood tests, and to have a regular physical.

We are watching an antique auction on TV. I really do miss the antique shop and all of the auctions and estates sales and things we used to do. But now if we buy anything, I just have to figure where to put it, and I don't have any more "places".

Hope everyone has a great weekend.

Lizziepie
04-04-2004, 03:35 PM
Blast!!! Just lost a nice post. Anyway, I haven't been sick or anything, just not in the mood for doing much except checking our email. Our Friend who is ill, had to go back to England, and unless God provides a miracle, we probably won't see him again. So we have been on the 'blue' side. :(

Candice: MICE!!!!!Yuck. :mad: I don't envy you all the work, and what can you do to guarantee that they won't be back? An exterminator sounds like a good idea to me. Good for you keeping your goal weight. I'm with Siwa, just seem to sabotage myself alot.

Alice: Hope you have luck finding a house down in South Fl. I don't envy you the traffic. And there is so much building going on there, especially between Fort Meyers and Bonita Springs. We didn't go further south, than BS but I bet it is just as bad around Naples and Venice. I can't help but wonder where water is going to come from for all the new homes and businesses.

Barb: Glad the meds have made you feel better. Hope all goes well with your physical, etc. Maybe it is a blessing in disguise, that you are so busy you can't do Antique Auctions, since you don't have any more room.:lol3:

Siwa: I agree that gardens are a lot of work, but sometimes I miss mine. I really enjoyed having flowers in the house. Now I have a little postage stamp that I keep out front of the house, for some color. That is about it.

Kate: What is happening with the weather in Rochester? Are things finally warming up? We have had an unusually cool spring here. The Temp was only 50 this morning. And I about froze in church. I ready for some really warm weather.

Did everyone go and see "The Passion" movie?
Just curious about what you think. I have heard so many varied comments, but most of them very supportive of the film.

The afternoon is going by too fast. It will take some time to get used to daylight savings time. Ann

Siwaoasis
04-04-2004, 08:15 PM
Did some garden clean up yesterday. There was plenty I didn't get done last fall after foot surgery. I really hate spring clean up but at least it's not been rainy so it's been easy. I've gone 3 days w/o sabotaging myself with food and mentally I feel really good about that. Was looking at photos and saw how good I looked when I was quite a few #s lighter. Trying to use that as an incentive.

ANN--I have not see "Passion....." and don't intend to. Lots of Curves ladies have seen it and they are all very positive about it. I feel left out when they begin discussing it but still don't want to see it. Just not for me. I'm glad that I don't lose posts at home like I did in AL. It was so frustrating to write just exactly what I wanted to say and then have it disappear. The 2nd writing was never nearly as long or eloquent!

BARB--I can understand your antiques desires. I love to go antiquing but we mostly window shop for lack of space. When we do buy it's usually something small. I'd really enjoy furnishing a house w/2nd hand finds.

Candicej
04-06-2004, 03:34 AM
Well, some more yard work and mice patrol in the attic, almost done cleaning but
now I hate to put my new rubbermaid boxes with all my stuff back in the attic, (what
I could slavage anyway) but no where else to go with it! I have 3 kitties in the
basement but they do not know what to do with a mouse, I guess
living in an old house in the country has it's price.... WE just set traps up there and they come in mostly in the fall to nest, I had so much good stuff up there for them to get into that they felt right at home. We will always have them but plan to check on the traps more often now that the door is not blocked off. Everyone else out this way uses decon but we were told not too with our animals here.

I just went to put my laundry in the dryer and some idiot left a kleenex in their
pocket, boy was I hoppin mad with paper all over the clothes and my floor then I
realized I had stuffed kleenex in my shirt pocket while cleaning in the attic! I'm the
idiot so how can I be mad at me I realy need to get some
sleep!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Candicej
04-08-2004, 06:53 AM
Well..I'm just creeped out about this mice thing...a friend sent me some info and they are totally disgusting! :eek: Makes me want to burn everything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Candicej
04-10-2004, 10:13 AM
I'm getting the urge to bake again`````````````````````````````:(

Nothing special this weekend so I should be ok with my eating.:D Still on mouse patrol in the attic, it is smelling better and have jsut a few things to go through now and clean up.

Siwaoasis
04-12-2004, 02:54 PM
Ate WAY too much candy over Easter and I'd been doing so well. Bad news when I stepped on the scale this morning. Some of those 5# lost were once again found! The candy was at my brother's house so there's still none around here. Now I have to get rid of those pounds all over again.

CANDICE--Thought of you last week cuz my 6 and 8 yr old nieces were with me and we baked cookies --a really good peanut butter cookie recipe that doesn't use flour. Thought it was a good recipe for kids cuz they can't make too much of a mess when there's no flour involved.

Candicej
04-14-2004, 12:49 AM
Siwa....would you post that recipe for me? I llike to try new stuff:D I did bake DH choc chip cookies, they are big ones at 6 pts a cookie, I have not over indulged in them yet, and sent a big box off to DS. I am down a whole pound, now only .5 left to get back to goal and then try to lose a few more so I will have some to play around with. I know being active plays a big roll at our age but some days I just can't do anything! Wish it was not like that. :D

Still in the attic, but now I take a box into my sons room and sort through so not in the attic all the time. The smell can really get to ya! I have used so much bleach up there and have ten traps set but nohting caught yet and no more new droppings. Fall is when they come in and climb the walls looking to nest.

Lizziepie
04-14-2004, 04:13 PM
I've been MIA as my daughter has been here for Easter Holiday, and we have been shopping till we drop. she saved all her shooping to do here, since we have good prices, and a larger selection of summer clothes. It has been really fun, and we've had some quality Mother/Daughter time. She is leaving on Friday, so i'll get back to keeping better in touch. Ann

Siwaoasis
04-14-2004, 04:15 PM
1 C p.b.--chunky or creamy
1C packed brown sugar
1 large egg, slightly beaten
1 C choc chips (6 oz)

350 degrees for about 10 mins let cool 5 mins before transfering

I think choc chips are optional. We used them, of course. I was amazed that they held together. It is necessare to let them cool on the sheet before transfering tho. WAY too easy--perfect for little kids to make. Found in Family Circle/Woman's Day mag.

don't eat too many!

I've been working in the garden both Mon and Tues. Taking a break from it today even tho I have a little more to clean up. Feeling the aches today. Can't explain why I was fine after 5 hrs the 1st day but achy after the 2nd 5 hour stretch. Rabbit have been nibbling on some tulips. I'm keeping a watch on my big tulip patch about 250 bulbs--to make sure they don't get eaten. If I see some evidence of rabbits then I'll have to cage them w/chicken wire. Nice couple of days we've had.

Candicej
04-15-2004, 09:15 AM
Thanks for the recipe! Rabbits eating my tulips too! Some are blooming already..so pretty!

Planted some seeds, lettuce and radishes in the veggie garden and some cosmos and larkspur in the flower garden, now lets see if they come up! I am hurting too , my lower back and hips mostly from squatting. Seems like I am lsoing my balance a lot when outside too! My watering wand broke and it is not even a year old so I emailed the swan co. ( 5 yr warranty) Do not have a receipt so don't know what they will say. Then my new bed sheets ripped when I tried putting the fitted one on our deep king bed. Called Pennys and they said to bring them in but not sure if they will refund. These are 340 count top of the line sheets and they should not rip!!!!!!!!!!! Only washed once so theya re like new but we ahve had them for about a month, I do have the receipt for them. boy they just do not make stuff like they used to any more!

magnoliamouth
04-16-2004, 06:22 AM
Hi All

Just saw the way over 40 area, decided to pop in and meet some of you, now is the over 40 in age or weight to lose, cause I fit both. I joined 3fatchicks about 4 weeks ago and have been enjoying it as I exercised and lost weight.

I am married, with an inherited 15 year old, done my bit and got one dropped on me, long story to tell here. Been fighting weight for past 4 years, prior to date fought it for two, lost 40 something pounds and gained it back plus some, had a nice pity party for myself, now am trying to lose it and keep it off for life.

Siwaoasis
04-16-2004, 11:39 AM
Hi magnoliamouth,
I asked the very same question of this group several years ago. The "over 40" refers to both wt and age. We're all at least in our mid-fifties w/varying amounts of wt to lose and some have actually lost and are maintaining. Good for you for getting on the wt loss bandwagon and following thru.

ageoldie
04-16-2004, 10:00 PM
It's a lazy Friday night around here. Not much going on, DH played golf this afternoon, so he's tired, and I had a pretty rough day at work, so I'm in in a lazy mood.

I was energetic this morning. I changed out my closet and broung out all my summer clothes. I hope I can still get into them.

I'm still not feeling great, but not as bad as I was. I'm back to going to the health club, but only doing walking and water aerobics. Had to give up the trainer.

Hope everyone has a great weekend.

Siwaoasis
04-20-2004, 07:52 PM
The silence in this site is deafening!!!

I finished the garden clean up just in time. Rain and storms came thru Sunday. It had been 90 degrees on Sat and then less than 12 hrs later it was 50 and raining. Tornadoes were spotted--none near us. Amazing how the garden grew over nite with that rain. Rain was predicted so we were waiting to see if we needed to water the garden. The pond is cleaned and running but the fish ase still inside.

I've hired a lady to write the memoirs of my parents and we had the 1st meeting today. She will interview my parents and write what they want to tell. In the end a hard cover book is published, complete with photos and memoriabilia. The process takes about 4 months so now I'm anxious to see the final product. My dad is turning 80 next month and I want the stories written down before it's too late. Also am planning a shower of cards for his b'day. I'm contacting everyone I can think of who knows him to send a card so that he will receive tons of mail in May. Kind of like Christmas cards in the spring. Hoping that most will write a personal note also and not just sign their names.

DH has been a whirlwind of projects lately. We've been home just 5 weeks and so far he's done: 1-total closet organizer in the Mstr BR 2-installed storage shelves in both the library closets 3-made underbed storage units on wheels for our shoes and is still in the process of installing the missing moulding in the library-------all of these are projects that have been awaiting his attention for a number of years. I've been asking for several years that these things be completed and then stopped asking. This time around I never said one word--he just decided on his own that it was time. I love it.

CANDICE--The rain made the tulips shoot up overnite and the rabbits tend to go for the "just up tender leaves" so no more problems. Looking forward to bloom time.

Candicej
04-22-2004, 05:57 AM
My tulips are in full bloom so of cousre now it is time for spring storms so that they do not last very long in the wind! Tuesdays storms tracked just north of here...feel so bad for those poor people who lost family members and things. It always seems to storm on my BD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

Lizziepie
04-23-2004, 08:48 PM
Hi: Just a quickie. I've been sort of lurking, not doing anything great, and wanting to just laze around. We did have an exciting nite when our neighbor lady called us at 2:00a.m. to come to her rescue as her DH was so weak he couldn't get himself out of the bathroom and she was afraid he'd fall. We finally managed to get him eased onto the floor, and then called 911. It is nearly impossible to move someone who is just a dead weight. He is now in the hospital, with several problems to deal with. He is 86, she is 85. Right now a son is here to help.

Siwa: The book you are talking about sounds wonderful. I wish I had all the life stories of my parents. It will be a realy treasure for you and your children and grandchildren, etc. Aren't you luck your DH is doing projects. I wish you would send some of that ambition our way.

Barb: Hope you are feeling better now. I think Alcie muct be in Florida.

Welcome Magnoliamouth. I see you are a Floridian too. I'm in Central Fl. and I am the Grandmother of this bunch. Good luck with your weight loss. I think we all can identfy with your struggles.

Next week we will be away. My DH is going to a college class reunion, and of course I have to go too. It should be fun, up in Norfolk Va. A long way to drive for us for a 4 day reunion. But they don't happen very often.

Tulips sound wonderful. have a great weekend everyone. Ann

Candicej
04-24-2004, 09:57 AM
Only 2 pieces of BD cake left but I have been to some cookies I bought! I know..so what's new????????? LOL :D

Spring bulbs look really nice and lilacs smell wonderful! Been working outside a bit so some pain but that is expected!

magnoliamouth
04-26-2004, 05:03 PM
Hi chicks, I'm back from out mini-vacation in North carolina. I was very pleased I lost 1.5 pounds even on vacation. I really sweated the whole trip, scared to death it would knock me for a loop. I got to walk 3 days, two on the beach and now that is a workout! When we ate out I tried to be low-cal and sensible, and I got a to go box immediately and took 1/2 of everything off my plate. While sitting there I could have eaten more, but I didn't, then I noticed by the time we got back to out mini-home, I felt very full.

WEll it has been raining here off and on all day and it is very overcast and depressing. I have walked two days since we got back but it seems harder on the treadmill then on the beach, of course dh walked with me. How has everybody been and how are all you doing?

Candicej
04-28-2004, 04:12 AM
Hi Mongaolia, I think the tredmill is much harder than outside too! Mine is in front of the TV to make it a little easier:D

Holy cow...somewhere along the way I picked up 5 pounds:eek:...that would make me 5 over goal, this is the first time in 4 years that has happened, so I am not a happy camper! I still joural every day and get in my water but my activity level is down due to hip pain and has been all winter but I never thought going over goal by 5 pounds would be a problem. Last year I was over by 2 and lost it before fall. I guess the aging thing and my tummy meds and the lack of exercise has caught up with me! Oh dear.. dear...gotta start the losing mode again at 18 pts and get this gain nipped before it turns into 10!!!!!!!!!! The good thing is I can fill my bras again!
:lol:

Siwaoasis
04-28-2004, 06:15 PM
CANDICE--do you think COOKIES have anything to do w/your 5#? I could never eat as many cookies as you seem to and maintain wt.

I'm determined to lose more wt starting NOW! I've been exceedingly good for 3 days in a row. We're invited to a wedding in Egypt in September and I'm using that as the carrot for my wt loss. I'll be eating plenty of carrots between now and then. LOL! With gardening season nearly in full force I'll be getting more exercise and I'm continuing my Curves.

MAGNOLIAMOUTH--I find treadmill walking easier but often boring. When I'm outside there are little hills and valleys that slow me down and there's so much more to look at and smell and hear and.........I can maintain a certain speed on the treadmill. I, too, have my treadmill in front of the TV and I've watched more mindless junk than I like to admit while walking. Sometimes there's just NOTHING on all 150 channels. How can that be??!

Warm here today--84--but supposed to be back to normal again tomorrow. Tulips and rhododendrens blooming. Candice, you really are way ahead of us in the lilac dept. Mine still have very tightly closed buds.

I painted the Master BR ceiling a very lovely, restful lilac color. No, there's no other lilac/purple or similar color in the room. I just wanted a lilac ceiling. I'm very pleased with the results and it makes me smile when I look at the ceiling. Next I'll sand and paint the woodwork, a job I'm dreading. I especially hate to paint the 6 panel doors. There are so many surfaces. I'm working my way from the top of the room to the bottom. The 1970's carpet desperately needs replacing. Why do we make our bedroom one of the last rooms in the house to redo?

ageoldie
04-29-2004, 09:53 PM
Good evening ladies, I had an interesting weekend. I went to Tulsa Ok and met with 6 other "Fat Chicks" that I post with on the 300+ thread. I was a little apprehensive, not knowing anyone, and knowing no one knew each other in person, but we had a great time.

And even thought we didn't spend a lot of time talking weight loss, and our food was not exactly diet fare, I have come home with a new determination, and motivation. Hopefully it will stay around a while.

I gave up on doing my own thing, and started my food delivery service again. This time we went with a different company. It's called Lifestyle Gourmet, but it was formerly called the ZONE DIRECT. So all of their meals are formed around the ZONE plan, which is pretty well balanced. We are both doing the 400 calorie meals, and 2 snacks of 100 cals each, so it we don't eat anything else we get in 1600 a day.

Still going to the health club, but no longer working with the trainer.

Welcome Magnolia, glad to have you join us.

magnoliamouth
04-30-2004, 07:06 AM
Siwaoasis and the rest of those great chicks

I would much rather walk outside, but no place here that I am comfortable with so I stick to the treadmill and listen to audio books. I have some motivational things in front of me, but just plug away. On one side of me I have a very busy highway, too dangerous. On the other side a country road with loose dogs, which I have a fear of. So it is the treadmill for me, unless I get other opportunities like I had while we were on vacation.

I've managed to lose another 1.5 lbs, I hate to whine but here goes, dang I wish it was faster, but it is losing so I can't really whine that well about it. I just keep reminding myself taking it off is faster than putting it own, putting it own just seems faster. and I keep looking at my large poster board with all the great clothes I have taped to it that I will be able to wear once I reach my goal.

Going to the doctor today, initial appt for new doctor, don't have a clue what will be done. So I can't get started on any projects today, and I was bummed out all day yesterday. It was dark and overcast and just didn't want to do anything but eat all day, so I had to hid in the bedroom with a book to keep myself from eating everything in the house, including the house!

I hope today will be better. Depending on when the appt is, can't remember, we might go do something fun for a little while before or after.

Candicej
05-04-2004, 02:39 AM
My scale may have been wrong cause I found out that DH has been weighing and my scale only likes one person, I guess it gets used to that weight. (it always messes up when someone other than me uses it) I will know when I weigh this week, been pretty active since my anxiety level is up right now and all the yard work.

DH droped 20 pounds just do to stress in the pass few months!

http://www.weightwatchers.com/util/prt/article.aspx?articleID=10811

Siwaoasis
05-04-2004, 12:37 PM
I haven't paid much attention to all the CARB stuff so I never knew exactly what could and couldn't be eaten. Yesterday I checked it out at the 3 fat chicks diet site. Oh my gosh! I could never eat just meat. That's basically what is allowed. I often go days w/o eating meat or I eat a soy meat substitute. The entire country has certainly gone crazy for cutting carbs. I can't believe how fast restaurants and food manufacturers have changed their menus and foods. Now why won't they do the same for low cal/low fat and smaller portions? What is wrong w/this picture?

Tulips blooming like crazy. I picked 25 out of my cutting garden and they make the kitchen look wonderful. More to come too. Seems like we're a little behind with blooms this year. I guess we had a colder winter than the last few so we'll be behind all year. Buds are just about to pop on several bushes and trees in the neighborhood. Lilacs are still tightly closed.

I'm trying like crazy to drop some lbs. I decided to not weigh myself for 2 weeks cuz I get discouraged when I don't see movement in the right direction. It's been 1 week and one day so far. Besides Curves I've begun walking 30 mins on the treadmill. The treadmill says I'm burning 200 cals so that means and extra 1 lb used up every 17 days. Sounds like nothing but it will help in the end.

BARB--A meeting of internet friends sounds like fun. Did they come from all over the US? Hope your renewed motivation stays with you as long as you need it. I've seen some ads for a couple of those meal delivery services in my area and am tempted to try one.

MAGNOLIAMOUTH--When you look at each loss it does seem like it goes so slowly but when you look back you can see larger numbers. I'd be really happy w/a 1.5# loss since I haven't had any lately.

CANDICE--What a nice surprise to find that your scale was wrong. Unfortunately mine is right on target.

Where is everyone else? All taking a break from us?

Candicej
05-05-2004, 05:16 AM
Siwa....I totally agree with your comment on the carb thing..almost makes me angry when I see low carb listed on so much stuff....they need to concentrate on the trans fat stuff and list That in plain site! ( I know it is lready listed an few items) My yellow tulips are blooming now, they are the last to come up and bloom here. What a nice bouquet to make!

Ok, DH has been down (kind of depressed and stressed out) and got behind on the mowing so while he rode I walked and pushed the little mower and it is not self propelled and very heavy. I have not done this since my arms have been bad with my tendonitis so it was a real challenge, I do not think I will be doing it again! Took me two hours of continuous mowing!!!!! I will just have to get the weed wacker out I guess. But that hurts my arms too and now I have to use the trimmers around stuff, get to my weeding, get the veggie garden planted, and my flowers...no one helps me when I get behind. I cleaned the whole house yesterday by myself, my gal had a sick kid home so she cancelled. I think pusing the sweeper is easier than the mower but I would rather be outside!

I'm hurting and pooped but my anxiety has kicked in so no rest for the weary!

Lizziepie
05-05-2004, 11:19 PM
Hi everyone: Home again after our whirlwind trip to Virginia. My DH had his college class reunion in Norfolk. We got a chance to spend one night with DD in Williamsburg, and then we were at the reunion. The 'old sailors' had a great time swapping sea stories, and their youthful escapades. We wives had a good time talking about kids, cooking, etc. We also did a lot of sight seeing. So a good time was had by all.

This weight loss stuff is just a continuous struggle. I tried the South Beach program, but it wasn't really for me. Some of the recipes are great and i wil continue to use them, but I really think that the WW program is the best all round program. A well balanced diet, and just less food, seems to be the way to go. I have some friends on the Atkins diet, and as soon as they stray a little, weight comes right back on.

Siwa - Candice Your tulips sound lovely. I miss those spring flowers here. But Florida has it's own spring blooms. I am waiting for the crepe myrtle to start blooming. They are so lovely.

Magnoliamouth: We are in a gated park, and we can walk around here and I enjoy it. I think a treadmill could get to be a bit on the boring side. Are you south, central or north Florida?

Barb: your meeting of cyber frinds sounds like fun. I enjoyed it when I got to meet Mona a couple of summers ago. Does anyone hear from her at all?

Where are Kate and Alice?

Time to turn in. We are beginning to get rested from our travels. Curves tomorrow. See you tomorrow. Ann

magnoliamouth
05-06-2004, 06:15 AM
Hey chickies

Yes, I agree with all of you on the carb comments. I know it works for some but they have to be careful when they quit to adhere to a strick calorie diet until they adjust their eating behavior and change eating habits and pattersn. Unfortunatly many studies have shown that they don't and they can't the weight back and then get back on the diet. It is quite a yo-yo but in the mean time, I have to wonder what they are doing to their bodies and overall how this will affect them in the future with diabetes and othe long term health issues.

The bottom line for me is I just can't eat just meat. I need fruit and vegtables every day! I decided to just cut to the chase and just lose weight by changing my food, from hi fat, hi calories to low fat and start watching my calories. I keep it between 1000-1300 and I'm trying very hard to look at long-term life style changes to keep it off and maintain it after the reaching my goal. So far it has worked. I've lost 17.5 of the 46 I want to lose. I have considered going down another 5 lbs, but will look at that when I reach my first goal.

Lizziepie

I live in North FL out in the country where they let their dogs run free and chain their women! I agree it would be great to walk outside but I like doing it early in the morning and it is too car and dog risky for me. So I make it as fun as I can by listening to Audiobooks and so far that has done a great job in distracting me. I normally start out walking in a thinking process, and then put on my headphones after I've had my little think and get into whatever story I am listening too. It really helps, if you are limited to a treadmill.

Well I joined the next challenge and I hope to flow along and lose another 8lbs by 5 June. It does seem slow, but I try and keep that out of my mind and focus on the overall good and just the day to day, I figure if I do that the rest will take care of itself. I also figure that this is too important to me health wise and emotionally to get myself all wrapped and tangled and then drop out. The important thing is too lose no matter how long it takes. The time schedule is not important. Some good things that have been happening; I've noticed my clothes are looser, funny how it makes your pants seem longer. I see some changes in my arms too. I am looking forward to seeing more changes hopefully some in my face soon, the fat really shows there. I already have a round face and carrying this fat has made me feel very ugly in the face.
Well chickies if I don't get to talk to you before Sunday, happy Mother's Day, but hopefully I will get a chance to check in before that.

Siwaoasis
05-07-2004, 01:58 PM
Whew!! Last nite I hosted a Red Hat party which was attended by 25 lovely ladies in pruple and red. Another lady and I planned a casino night. One of our members owns a casino night type company so they supplied the 3 tables, chips, play money, cards, etc. We had to push all the furniture in the family room against the walls and then it all fit. It was a lot of work but everyone had a good time. I know less than nothing about cards and gambling so my role was hostess. There were 3 who knew the games we were playing so they were the dealers. As a bonus I knew I'd use up lots of extra calories by hosting. I don't know the results of that because I'm still not allowing myself to weigh until Monday. I'm really anxious to see the results.

ANN--Good to be back home, isn't it. We're all so lucky to have good homes to return to. Fun to travel and see but "home" just feels good. I don't know crepe myrtles bloom season but I do love the bark .

Magnolia--I think you've chosen wisely in regards to your eating plan and you're doing SO well. I, too, have a round face and you're right, extra weight really shows on a round face. Before I lost my extra wt I'd always look at the overweight oval faced ladies and envy how nice they looked even w/the extra wt. Luckily, I don't have to do that now. I still have some to lose but a great portion is already GONE!

Candicej
05-08-2004, 05:45 AM
Got my hand trimming done today.....and have a new cookie recipe I want to try, it only make 12 so I should be ok:D Still working on getting the garden ready, potted some pots of pansies and now need to get the rest of my flowers bought. We had a big wind storm go through again and I had to quick get everything in the gargage.. Mother nature is just not cooperating and I'm getting tired of it!

Siwa..party sounded like fun!

Lizzie, glad you are back.

MM..yes I agree with your thoughts on sensible eating...now if I could just give up my cookeis!

http://hin.nhlbi.nih.gov/portion/ This is a slide quiz........

Lizziepie
05-08-2004, 01:15 PM
Happy Mothers Day everyone
Just finished cleaning, doing laundry, and shopping. Just a moment to rest a bit before getting some lunch.
Siwa: sounds like a fun party. There is a Red hat group here in the park, but I have just never had time to be a part of it.

Candice: How did the new cookie recipe turn out? And was your scale wrong, since your DH had been using it?

Magnoliamouth: You must be quite a bit cooler in North Fl. than we are here in Central. But I love it anyway. I have turned into a real Floridian, and get so cold when we go north to visit.

I have lost the 1 lb. I gained when we went on our vacation. Now, to just keep going down in the numbers.

Hi Barb, Kate, Alice Hope you all have a great day tomorrow. Ann

ageoldie
05-08-2004, 07:27 PM
Just checking in on everyone. Had another pretty good week. we are still eating our prepared foods, which comes to 1600 calories a day. I've been to the health club and exercised everyday this week. Do I get points for that?

With the over 300 group I also post with, we decided to give Dr Phil a try. I have never been a fan of his, but since the group was planning on giving it a try, I decided to be open minded and read it too. We are doing a chapter a week making it a "12 Step" program. We've just finished week one. I'm not sure I want to be that honest, even with myself :lol: If it gets deeper as it goes on, it will either work, or completely turn me off.

Let me add my Happy Mother's Day wishes to all of you. Have a great day!

Candicej
05-11-2004, 07:28 AM
The cookie recipe was wonderful!!!!!!! Good thing it only made 12 cookies!

Butter Pecan Cookies 4pts each

Makes 12 (3 inch cookies); Prep time: 15 minutes; Total time: 30 minutes
These delicate, buttery cookies, which get their crunchy texture from
toasted pecans and a sugar coating, practically melt in you mouth.

3/4 cup pecans
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
1/3 cup sugar, plus more for coating
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 cup all-purpose flour

1. Preheat oven to 350. On a baking sheet, toast pecans until
fragrant, about 6 minutes. Let cool completely; finely chop.

2. With an electric mixer, cream butter and 1/3 cup sugar until
light, about 1 minute. Beat in vanilla, salt, and flour, scraping down
sides of bowl, just until dough comes together. Fold in pecans.

3. Separate dough into 12 pieces; squeeze dough to shape into balls.
Roll in sugar. Place, 3 inches apart, on a baking sheet. Gently flatten
with the bottom of a glass (reshape sides if necessary). Sprinkle with
sugar.

4. Bake until golden brown, rotating sheet halfway through, about 15
minutes. Sprinkle with more sugar. Cool cookies on a wire rack.

Candicej
05-11-2004, 07:32 AM
Anyone know why my last batch of blooming tulips drooped this year. (It has been very dry and it was about 90 the day they opened, could taht do it?)

magnoliamouth
05-11-2004, 07:47 AM
How much have you lost. I am sitting on 19 pounds lost now and 28 to go, and I may go 32 more. That is probably a better look for me.

I wish someone would have a red hat party around here, I'd love and excuse to buy and wear a hat! I just got a Bunko kit and I'm hoping I can hook up with some ladies in my area and convince them to start playing. It can be a bit tough since I leave about 20 minutes outside of a small, small city. But if not now then maybe in the future!

I don't like Dr phil very much so I would have a hard time doing anything of his.

Oh darn on that cookie recipe. I have high cholesterol and have to really watch what I eat. I have to stick to stuff that is not going to raise that if it is possible. Just had a check up on that last week and I am worried about the results. Hopefully it is down far enough that I can avoid medication, or get the doctor willing to see if it will go down more with the next 28-32 pounds. But if he says take it I will.

Well I did my walk on Saturday even though it was our anniversary, but I still did well all day with food because I wanted to bank a bunch of calories for dinner. I had to do the same on Mother's day. I weighed Monday and had lost a 1 lb. I tried to keep myself from thinking I might have lost 2. Oh well chickies here is too a new week and a thinner week for all of us.

Lizziepie
05-11-2004, 09:26 PM
Hi: I guess I am in a minority, as I do like Dr. Phil. He tells it like it is, doesn't mince words and expects people to listen and put into practice the helps that he gives. but he also can be very kind and does a lot of nice things for people. Those people on his weight loss challenge have done very well. Or at least most of them. I think that there are maybe a couple that just haven't really done what is needed to make the program work. Guess we will find that out soon. And he is helping a lot of teens.

My personal opinion is that most people don't really like to face the truth about what makes them the way they are, myself included, and so when he comes on strong like he does, people get turned off, rather that face the facts. Just my opinion.

Making Dr. visits this week, and also have a mammogram. Fun fun.
Barb: Good luck with your program.

Magnoliamouth: Every pound down is a good thing. It is so hard not to want to lose it all fast, when it took time to put it on. we are a nation of folks that want instant gratification, I think. Keep up the good work.

Candice: the cookie recipe sounds good. Four points per cookie? But I am also a cholesterol watcher.

Talk to you all later. Ann

Candicej
05-13-2004, 02:45 AM
Rain here but not enough yet, we are very dry....got some yard work done in the light rain again. We need to mow again...just can't get DH too excited about it untill it gets to your knees!

I do not think I will ever beable to give up my cookies! Last I checked my cholestrol was 167 and that was 2 years ago. It was down form 205 since I had lost weight. ( But I was not eating as many cookies then either...maybe I need to get it done again!)

Siwaoasis
05-13-2004, 10:23 AM
It was dry here also until this week. We had rain Sunday and Wednesday. Now today looks like and all day soaker. So maybe it will come your way, Candice. I did lots of planting on Tuesday. Always happens----I bring home a trunk load of plants and by the time I spread them around the yard it looks like NOTHING. I'm not even close to done but still............Now some cooler temps are predicted so I'm glad I didn't get too many impatiens in yet. The alyssum and herbs can take it a little cooler so no prob there. Still have lots of tulips, lilacs and azaleas blooming along w/a few other things so still looking quite springy.

Spent Tuesday night in the ER checking on a possible detached retina. I saw some mighty unusual things in my eye. They finally determined it was not detached but there was something in my eye that shud not be there so told me to see ophthamologist the next day. I did that and it is not a detached retina but a bunch of other stuff floating around in my vision. It's VERY annoying! I keep washing my glasses but it doesn't do any good.

Lizziepie
05-13-2004, 12:06 PM
Siwa: sounds like you have 'floaters'. Me too. I was told that after a while they can sort of settle in your eye and not be too troublesome. And that is true. Now the only time I am truly aware of them is if I look at water, like when I am in the swimming pool. Then I know that I have some small polliwogs in my eye. I can sympathize with you. But time will help. It is scary the first time it happens.

Had an interesting test today. At one time I had the H-pylori bacteria, which causes stomach ulcers. Thought it was all cured, but learned you can get it again. And I have been having some of the same recurring symptoms as before - so- Dr. said no blood test as that now would always show positive. There is a new one where you fast over night, then next morning blow air into test tubes, drink some stuff, wait 15 minutes and then blow air into two more test tubes. A very simple test. If it is not positive, then I guess they will have to look for something else. Oh joy.

Candice: enjoy your cookies always in moderation of course. :D:

Hi All. Where is everyone? Ann

Siwaoasis
05-13-2004, 08:06 PM
ANN--I've had floaters in my other eye for a couple years but this was something different. I saw dark, wide ribbons swirling across my eye which widened and dissapated by turning into thousands of dots. This happened 3 times in a couple hours. I talked myself out of calling a dr until talking to a friend about it 5 hours later. Then I called our insurance hotline and the nurse told me to go to the ER now. That frightened me so I went. Turned out to not be vision threatening. Now I have a couple big floaters in the 2nd eye after the ribbons disappeared. It took me about a yr to get used to the floaters the 1st time. Now I keep thinking I see something and turn to look at it and realize it's IN my eye. Very annoying. I also have retinal puckering which makes for blurry vision and straight lines have dips in them. My eyes are so precious to me cuz I'm a visual person and all this at age 54 makes me wonder how I'll make it to 80 and 100.

Lizziepie
05-14-2004, 08:44 PM
Siwa: Oh you'll make it. My hope is that I never get maculara degeneration. i have a couple of friends with that, and my DH SIL has it. That can really be tough. I would have headed to the emergency room too, as you describe your experience. I know, I often turn my head and think I see something. It is annoying, or I think there is a bug flying around. I get it mostly when there is nothing else in the line of vision, like looking at water, or out a window. Fun Fun.

So glad it turned out not to be vision threatening. Hope you have a good weekend. Ann

Siwaoasis
05-15-2004, 01:20 AM
ANN--I'm just feeling sorry for myself cuz everything seems to be going wrong at once. Seeing a dermatologist next week for a patchy unhealing spot on my face. I didn't wait around w/that one once I realized this thing was not going away. Skin cancer is ALL over in my background, including both my parents. ----I'm feeling OLD!

magnoliamouth
05-15-2004, 06:55 AM
ok gang, I'm a slug and not being very good with my posting or my getting into 3fat chicks, but I can say, I have been maintaining my diet and exercise! I have missed you guys but everything seems to get into my way. Lots of emotional issues with my grandson that is living with us, have gotten me down. I just say a lot of silent thanks it hasn't thrown me off my own goals. Most days it makes me feel sooooooo old and out of it all. I am down to 165.5 which leaves me 25.5 pounds to goal and I am considering dropping down another 5 pounds, but waiting to see when I reach 140 pounds. I want to know how that feels and see how it goes from there. The other 5 pounds is reasonable but I also know long term maintenance may be a defeater.

CandiceJ: girl I understand you on those cookies! I have tried to subsitute low-fat graham crackers 2 at 120 calories, health valley Double choclate 3 at 140 calories, or chocolate chip rice cakes 2 at 120 calories for my old favorites. I keep pushing that good health low-fat eating and telling myself, you want to eat the fat, or take it from your A--.

Ageoldie: back on 5/8 you said you were doing dr phi's diet with another group, how is it working for you? As I said I'm not a fan of his but will give his diet a try if I hit a bump in mine. Actually something I think, it is good to switch diets during a long term diet, I think it helps the boredom of the same ole plan.

Lizziepie: I am glad his plan is working for you and for others, sometimes some diets don't work for some, or as you said they don't want to be honest with themselves and really lose the weight. The biggest fight is within ourselves I believe. I know mine is. My mind has to be ready, not just my body or my desires, or we'd all be slim, cute etc.. I think some body types and/or some people just do better on some diets. I think it is a mental thing to. As far as me, I know I feel less deprived if I can choose between many kinds of things. I am also not that big of a meat eater, even though I like chicken and fish.

Siwaosis and Lizziepie: What can you do about the floating thing in the eye? Is it just age or what, does it go and come? Sometimes I feel like I need to wash my glasses and then it still looks cloudy. I need to make an appointment for an eye exam, but hate to have my eyes dilalated. Somebody fuss at me about this!

Siwaosis: Don't feel sorry forself to long, everybody needs a good waller in the mud, but you are a survivor so don't let it get you down. And don't let it kick your diet and goals out of the door!

I am so glad to be able to get caught up with you chicks and see what all has been happening. Here in Central fl we were supposed to get rain, didn't happen! We need some it has been so hot and humid. I got a little wild yesterday and planted some yellow crook neck squash amoung my dh's palm tree landscaping, he didn't like it but didn't say anything too bad. I also planted some strawberry plants up by the side of our screened porch. I love how strawberry plants look and can't wait to pick them too.

Lizziepie
05-15-2004, 07:27 PM
Siwa: Magnoliamouth is right. we all need a good time of 'wallering' now and again, but just don't let it be a habit. And by all means get to the dermatologist. My DH and i now go every 6 months. he has had several places which wouldn't heal especiall on his nose. but she takes care of it. He spent so much time in the tropics and out on the wing of the bridge of ships that he had a lot of sun exposure.

Magnolia: We were looking for rain too. And so far, nothing yet. We do need it. There was a peice in today's paper about the lake levels going down. How old is your Grandson? I haven't really followed Dr. Phil's diet program. I was doing the South Beach for a while and now am back to WW. I really thing that is the best overall program for the long haul.

Candice: I just don't bake anymore, and yesterday i spent a lot of time looking a cookies and all their calories, fat content, and possible points. And ones that didn't have partially hydrogenated fat. Hard to fine those, but finally settled on some organic chocolate ones called NewmansO;s. Haven't tried them yet. Our Granddaughter, and husband and their baby(can you believe a great grandchild) are coming on Monday, so I am saving them to break out when they come.

Hi Barb, kate, Alice. Hope everyone has a good weekend. Ann

magnoliamouth
05-16-2004, 08:50 AM
Lizziepie

Good thing on going to the doctor, faster treated faster healed. No rain still yet, but thankfully we have a sprinkler system. The worst part is it stays overcast and humid. I'd rather have the rain or sunshine, just make up its mind!

How is the South Beach diet? When I get to my last 10 to 5 pounds I may switch to something else, and I was thinking of either south beach or The Zone, but also, I may stick to what is more reality based for me real food and counting calories.

We ate at Applebee's last night and they are coming out with a Weight watchers menu, he tells the calories, protein, fiber and I think carbs. I had the Grilled Talipea with a mango sauce last night 340 calories, and my hubby and I split a chocolate raspberry cake, which was 230 whole and 115 for each of us. I had the calories banked cause I knew we were going out somewhere. It was good and I felt filled, they quite a bit more on their menu, check in your town and see if they are doing it there to.

Weight watchers is good, and they have a good plan to flow you right into maintenance. We all know it is hard to diet, but I think keeping it off is much harder than losing it. I am bulking up for the end goal keeping it off, doing everything I can think of to help me do it, and mostly just trying to educate myself on the whys and whatfors.

Did you check the organic food Health Valley and if so how did they compare to the ones you have. This may be probably wrong, but right now I am only counting my daily calories so some of the fat calorie watching falls into that, but I don't really watch that as close as I should. I know it will be something I will need to pay more attention to during maintenace of my weight.

Hope ya'll are having a good weekend and as fat-free as possible.

Candicej
05-17-2004, 06:44 AM
Well, I'm pretty sore from workng outside yesterday for 6 hours then doing wash, and cleaning the kitchen and small freezer...was on my feet for 12 hours straight! I used muscles I didn't know I had while balancing on a board I use to walk on over the garden, you would have thought I was surfing! ( I thin board at that!) been eating lettuce and radishes form the garden..Yummmm!

magnoliamouth
05-17-2004, 08:31 AM
Well yesterday I did not exercise and didn't drink my water, I did stay on food plan, knee is killing me from weather. But today I am going to be all over it. I am also hoping my DDR pad and DVD arrives early am so I can play with that. This is not going to be long not much to say and I want to get my treadmill done, and I always drink at least 24 oz while I'm doing that so it is killing two birds with one stone.

Siwaoasis
05-17-2004, 10:26 AM
Just normal everyday stuff going on here. It's been a little too cold to plant things in the garden yet. I had begun and then it changed to cold so I'm holding off on some of the more tender plants. Problem is others are buying the stores out of things that I also want. I don't want to store them near a window so I just don't buy til I can plant. What are others doing? planting and then planting again when the cold gets their 1st plants? Serves them right. I understand that we're all anxious to get gardening after a long cold winter but.........All the dahlias were sold out at one store and it's still 2 weeks til they shud be planted.

I have an outing planned today w/a GF. We're going to an art exhibit, lunch and then a special grocery. Sounds odd, I know. The store is Aldi--don't know which part of the country they're in other than here. We hear that they have fantastic prices on many produce items and some other things. There is not one located near either of us so when we found out that there's one near the art exhibit we added that to our plan for the day. GF's sister in Ohio shops at Aldi all the time and says the deals are too good. One must pay $.25 to rent a cart which is recovered when the cart is returned and they don't supply bags. Just a couple ways they keep the costs down. Hoping to come home w/lots of veggies for the week.

MAGNOLIA--Your dinner at Applebees sounds good. They are one of my fav chain restaurants. You're doing so well on you wt loss. Such determination. Keep it up.

CANDICE--Were you walking on the board in the garden because the soil was wet? Does that mean you've had rain? We had rain again last nite. Tulips still going strong. We have a new anti-deer device we're trying this year. It's a motion detector that sprays water. Last year the deer ate the hostas to the ground so hoping to stop that from happening again this year. I keep forgeting that the sprayer is there when I walk out to that particular garden but it stops me before I get wet.

Candicej
05-18-2004, 06:28 AM
Siwa, we did get an ich but need much more, and I used the boards so I do not compact the soil. I still hsve cucumbers and zucchini to put in and been potting my stuff in the garage and leaving it in until this last fron passes due to the wind factor. Everytihng out here blows away!

Yard work today, the shovel and my hips do not get along very well! All my iris are blooming and smell delightful! Brought a bouquet in, filled to vases.

Siwaoasis
05-19-2004, 05:10 PM
Perfect day for gardeining but I just came home from the dermatologist. The unhealing spot on my face is only an inflamed seborrheic keratoses. In other words, nothing to worry about. She froze it today and retuning in 4 weeks for recheck and a full body check.

We bought a truck load of plants yesterday but no time yet to get them into the ground. Hoping it will be nice again tomorrow. I'm ready for a full days work. That "special" grocery was a disappointment. I guess they have different things every time you go in so you can't go expecting to find certain items. It quenched our curiosity anyway.

Lizziepie
05-19-2004, 09:43 PM
Hi everyone: Sounds like you are all busy with gardening. We had great fun Monday with Grand daughter and husband and baby Ryan. A delight. Just talking and loving to run around. It was no mistake that babies come to the young, that's for sure.

Siwa:Glad the spot on your face is not a problem. We also went to the dermatologist on Tues. DH had several spots zapped, but this time I was okay. DH has been sick with a cold, which turned nasty, so he went to the Dr. today. Bronchitis, and he has antibiotics, and they gave him a lung treatment, and had to have a chest ex-ray. He very generously gave me the cold. I have been steaming, and coughing. Hope it doesn't get worse. I can't take any over the counter meds. One of those wierd people. See late. Now I'm going to go nurse myself. Ann

Candicej
05-22-2004, 08:42 AM
Lizzie, hope you get to feelin' better:D

Siwa, did you have storms too? The wind about beat my iris to death. Mowed yesterday and hand trimming to say and putting mulch down, maybe a few more plnats. Got grass in my eyes and now I can't see very well. Hope I do not need to go to the doc for eye drops again. I am allergic to the grass when it hits my eyes. Glad your spot was nothing....how often do you get a full body check, I have never had one????????

Siwaoasis
05-22-2004, 09:52 AM
Planted around the yard for several hours and then DH and I went to another garden center to buy more. DH wanted to check out this store cuz he saw a report on the news that ranked it #1 for price and quality. Who can remember the price of all plants so I couldn't really tell about the price rating. It didn't feel any different than any others to me. Now I have another truck load awaiting planting. Rained all day yesterday so I did some shopping instead. Rain predicted for the next several days too. Not raining right now so I'll go out soon and try to get a few more plants in the ground.

Candice--No storms, just rain. You seem to get a lot of wind in your area. It's been quite a windy spring here but not as windy as you are. I've never had a full body exam so this will be my first. I've noticed a lot of moles on my back and I can't see them and don't trust DH to know if they look OK or not. And I have a lot of other lumps and bumps in various parts so the DR suggested she do a full body exam. Because of my family history w/skin cancer and having light Scandinavian skin I thought it was a good idea. I don't know how often she'll advise me to have it repeated.

Lizziepie
05-22-2004, 02:16 PM
Let's go to number 9. 5 pages is a lot. See you there. Ann

magnoliamouth
06-01-2004, 06:38 AM
WEll here I am back from the dead. I weigh in at 161.5, but need someone to use a Tazar on me for not exercising for the past 1.5 weeks. My last posting had me going on a trip to visit relatives and get caught up and then meeting dh at my brothers about 5 hours away. Well to make a long story short. Dh stuck his nose in a big issue that had nothing to do with him, and made a very ugly scene. Hurt some of my family with his attempted actions and I am still po'd at him. I have stuck to my diet, but not exercised as I should. Thank god for some good habit forming and determinations that it did not totally throw me for a loop. Today is my offical measure day and also I am trying to get caught up with 3fatchicks. I could boo hoo all day over this but won't bore everyone, but will say this. I felt like giving him the big "D" word and going my own way! That is some what of an explaintation of how hard this all hit me! I really think my loss of the 25 pounds has given me confidence to stand up to him and not let him bully me! I think he has been very shocked that I took a tough love attitude with him over this and will not pudge off of my position. Normally, I am the peace maker between us. He is still in the dog house and he knows it "big time".