PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 03-22-2004, 12:16 PM   #1  

Default new to this site and have PCOS

Hello! First off, if I posted this in the wrong spot, I apologize!!

I just discovered this site through a weight watchers link and am SO HAPPY!

I'm 34, diagnosed with PCOS, overweight by about 40 pounds (5'10" and 204lbs), have several symptoms like rapid weight gain, no energy or sex drive and the fun excess hair growth on my face, abdomen and arms. Recently my weight jumped up from 180 to 204 in a matter of a few weeks. This new weight is around my mid-section, arms and hips.

My doctor put me on Yasmin birth control pill. That's the only thing I'm currently taking.

I tried WW last year and GAINED WEIGHT. Fun. I'm hearing a lot about low carb being the way to go and am wondering which direction to try. I did Atkin's three years ago and lost aboug 15 pounds. It was very hard to stick to because I never got over that tired feeling.

So...here I am hoping you all will point me in the right direction!

Oh, and I'd love to have a diet buddy/exercise buddy, etc...thanks for your time!

Kelley
kelleyincolorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 02:02 PM   #2  

Hi Kelley! I'm pretty new here too, it's great! I'm not on a "diet" per se, just counting calories and trying to eat nutritiously. I personally emphasize exercise over diet, I think that's helped me the most. But if you read through the posts, if you haven't already done that, you'll find lots of PCOS people on lots of different programs. Nice to "meet" you!
SeekInnerThinChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 05:06 AM   #3  
Rattie Lover

WELCOME KELLEY!!!!!!!

You've come to the right place!! We have a small but very nice group of women here dealing with the exact same thing you are. I've had this rotten disease since teenager hood and I finally started to get it treated the RIGHT way last June. I have lost 50 pounds since September and feel great!!

I was on the Yasmin too. It killed my sex drive too...made me gain weight..made me feel like a walking water balloon really..especially in the boobie areas. If I had not had a hysterectomy I would of swore I was pregnant and had milk coming in!! I had to stop taking the Yasmin. I couldn't handle all of those side effects.

As far as the other symptoms, I have been doing well at keeping them under control now. I didn't follow any special diet plan because *I* can't stick to diets...what I did do though was majorly change my eating habits and incorporated exercise into my life. I cut out all fried food, fast foods, junk foods, 99% of sugars, and switched too lots of fruits and veggies, yogurt, good meats like chicken and turkey, cut out almost all white starches and switched to wheat bread, brown rice, wheat tortillas, stuff like that. And I drink almost a gallon of water a DAY. I still endulge every so often on chocolate and a Diet Dr. Pepper but for the most part, I eat as healthy as I can. When I get a sugar craving I suck on a tootsie pop. No fat, 60 calories, and I can vouch that it does take away that craving. I also take alot of vitamins, amino acids, minerals, garlic, etc... to balance everything out.

As far as the hair growth, blah...It drives me crazy too!! But I read an article on Saw Palmetto and I started taking it and sure enough I started to notice results within a month or so...your "excess" hair grows in slower and lighter!! Now if they could only invent a cream to dissolve it completely and permanently we'd be happy PCOSers.

Come visit us in the Monthly chat thread!! We'd love to have you.

Take care and hope to hear from you soon!!
Noodles913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 12:03 PM   #4  

Welcome Kelley,

You have come to the right place - great group of people on this board with lots and lots of knowledge. I am fairly new to this board too. I was diagnosed with PCOS about a year ago but suffered the symptoms for years before it was given a name. I, along with the others, vouch for exercise as the mainstay of my ability to lose weight. It regulates your insulin and raises the metabolism - two things that are very important for PCOS folks. I also eat whole foods with little to no refined foods and almost no added sugars. I eat lower carb but also need grain fibre so I have just come to conclude that I can eat in a certain way and that is what I do. Brown rice, whole grains, lean meat and fish and lots of fruits and veggies and healthy fats. Water is also so important and I drink a lot of water each day. When I stick to this plan, the weight continues to fall off which is unheard of for my body. My favorite exercise is Tae Bo, kickboxing and Tai fit. I wasn't always a fitness junky but I sure am now! My day isn't right if I haven't exercised. I have lost 25 lbs still have a long way to go. The main thing is I feel great. Good luck and it is great to have you here!

Jenaya
Jenaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 07:00 PM   #5  

Default Thanks for the replies!

Wow! I'm feeling quite special to finally have found others who are going through this. I've wanted to tear my hair out for the last couple of years!!! '

I'm not happy to be on this birth control pill. I just started it and the doc says it's not the kind that is associated with weight gain...I told her that every medication I've been on the past couple of years has put weight on me though! My last doc stuck me on a diet pill and sleeping pill at the same time...not a good combo. I walked around in a haze. I also stopped exercising about then and have not been able to get into it again.

I honestly don't know where to start with exercise! I used to lift weights, but that made me really bulky and messed up my shoulder. I'd like to do something that just tones everything up. I will not go to the gym, though, so it has to be something I can do here. I've got to do something, though! We are going to FL. in Nov to watch my husband do an Ironman (ugh!~) and I do not want to be the token fat chick!!!

Thanks to you all for the warm welcome! I look forward to getting to know you all better. Kelley
Old 03-23-2004, 07:38 PM   #6  

Quote:
I used to lift weights, but that made me really bulky
Me too! The "party line" is that women can't get bulky because they don't have enough testosterone. Ha! I have had elevated testosterone due to PCOS, and I was THE HULK! It did NOT look good on me, either-- I don't have the ultra-feminine face to carry it off. But now I'm on meds for the testosterone, and lifting lightly just on the upper body, mostly for my saggy chest, and to keep the muscle I've got.

I do cardio, just about every day, and that definitely helps me take off the weight faster. I can lose a pound in a day with 2 hours of cardio and 1200 calories. But I'd end up in the ER for hypoglycemic shock, so that's not the plan. Right now I'm shooting for 1600 calories per day, an hour of cardio, weight lifting 3 times a week, and some sports.

For cardio I do walking/jogging, water aerobics, rowing machine, etc. I'd really recommend the elliptical trainer. It's great for me! I don't feel sore anywhere, but the sweat just pours off me. It works my whole body from the neck down, I love it!
SeekInnerThinChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 09:16 PM   #7  

Hi Kelley,

If you are just new to getting back to exercise, you may want to check out Leslie Sansone's tapes walking off the pounds. She has beginner, intermediate and advanced tapes and they can be done with ease. Kathy Smith also has some good tapes. I really like tae-bo with Billy Blanks but it is something you need to work up to. I also have an elliptical and love love love it. Walking is a wonderful exercise too. I think the key is just to get moving. You certainly have made the first step and I am sure you are going to do very well. Good wishes to you and it is nice to have you here.

Jenaya
Jenaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 01:10 AM   #8  

Cool thanks for the happy thoughts!

I really needed someone who's been in my shoes to give me advice on what they do Living with someone who is so disgustingly in shape has made it very hard. This last massive quick weight gain totally took me off guard because we were eating healthy foods together and I was getting past the winter blahs. It seemed like overnight I had this thick hair on my forearms and an extra 18 pounds! My fat jeans are tight...blech.

Cutting sugar is going to be a challenge, especially since I bake for a living! I just bought the South Beach Diet book (found it for $2.00!), so I figure I'd give it a read and see what it's about. My doctor suggested trying a healthy low carb diet. I should probably read up on the boards about that, right?

We own a weight bench with all of the pulleys, etc...We have thought about getting an eliptical trainer but it hasn't been in our budget. I would love one because hiking is my real passion. Last summer I climbed several mountains over 13,000 feet high and I had a goal to hit at least one that was over 14,000 this summer. I'm still hoping to reach that goal.

So, about this lack of sex drive...besides the weight gain, that's been a really big issue. It's just not there at all for me! It's been this way for four years now. Has anyone tried anything that works??? I'm willing to try anything
I'm thankful to have a very patient hubby who has come to realize that I'm not trying to be a big pain in the rear!!

Kelley
Old 03-24-2004, 09:19 AM   #9  

Hi Kelley and welcome!!! As you can see there are a lot of ways to deal with PCOS through diet and exercise. I was diagnosed with PCOS two years ago and have JUST found a good way to treat all the symptoms!!! It takes time, this nasty little PCOS does, to find a way that fits your life and body and treat it in a way you're comfortable with. Don't get discouraged if you feel you are playing a guessing game for awhile. I have the hair loss and excess facial hair and weight gain that plagues so many PCOS sufferers. I am on Aldactone for the hair issues and Atkins for the weight. I, too, am finding I feel better with exercise. I weigh in next Monday so we'll see how I am doing!! For excess hair, I am starting a series of laser treatments TODAY! I am nervous but if this is what it takes, this is what it takes.

Take care and welcome to the group! I am a newbie too and I can attest to the fact that there is not a group of nicer and knowledgeable ladies anywhere than this one.
southerngirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 11:51 PM   #10  

Good luck with the laser treatments! I wish that was in my budget For now I don't leave home without tweezers...who woulda thought that this would be my 30's?! Hahahahaha!!!

I haven't hit the hair loss part yet...hoping to God that isn't in my future. I'm glad to hear that there are meds for it, though. Hope they are working for you!

Kelley
Old 03-25-2004, 07:33 AM   #11  
Rattie Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelleyincolorado
I haven't hit the hair loss part yet...hoping to God that isn't in my future.
I hope not either...Just keep an eye on it ahead of time Kell...That was my problem. I didn't KNOW I was losing hair until my Endo. DR. pointed it out right at my scalp. I went to look back at old pics and it was that way for years, but not as bad...just got progressively worse with age. I thought it was normal or I would of took action at the first sign of it. Ahh well...can't cry over it now...but I can blab to all of you about it!!
Noodles913 is offline   Reply With Quote