Closed Thread

Old 01-18-2004, 05:14 PM   #1  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Talking Veggie food finds

Anyone who has found some fabulous food products or any handy items that promote the veggie lifestyle or help simplify your life or that you enjoy using please feel free to post and share.
Old 01-18-2004, 05:41 PM   #2  

One of my favorite companies veggie products are Yves Veggie Cuisine.

They have soy cheese slices for sandwiches - great for grilled cheese! and "ground round" which I use to make chili and spaghetti sauce with.
Old 01-27-2004, 02:15 PM   #3  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

I just bought some Veggie Cheese (thats the name) and to my surprise was quite good (cheddar flavor). I got it in ShopRite (a grocery store here in the east) and it was on sale for $2.49 for 12 slices. Can't wait to try the motz flavor
Old 02-16-2004, 10:31 AM   #4  

Bandito organic salsa is really good. They have a green salsa, a red salsa and one that is chipotle pepper flavored. I found Bandito at a health food store so it would assume that would be the best place to check for everyone.
Old 02-18-2004, 10:39 PM   #5  

Linda McCartney Fettucini Alfredo - frozen dinner = creamy sauce, mushrooms and veggies.

I try to eat all fresh foods but in a pinch this is a good quickie meal.

Amy's Shepherd's pie is another good frozen dinner- 8 different veggies topped with mashed potatoes - and the veggies are organic Works better in the oven than microwave.

Not sure if these items are widely available but I found them at a Natural food store.
Old 03-28-2004, 02:04 PM   #6  

papadum. These are lentil-flour "crackers." They are sold in any Indian food store, and most big grocery stores with good international food sections. They have around 30 calories apiece (about the size of a large tortilla) if prepared like this:

Crumple up a paper towel and then sorta flatten it out again, so that you can lay the papadum on top and it will only touch in a few places. Spray the papadum on the top with cooking oil spray. Put the papadum, on the towel, in the microwave, and nuke it for a minute (times will vary depending on your own oven, but you will be able to easily tell when it is cooked because it bubbles up.)

Voila! While eating this one, start the next one. I can easily eat five.
Old 03-30-2004, 08:16 PM   #7  

Oooh I love those! I buy Patak's brand - delish - I actually like these better than chips.
Old 04-02-2004, 08:56 AM   #8  

Morningstar bacon strips are heavenly!
Old 04-03-2004, 05:27 AM   #9  

Mm USLady they are nice aren't they. I used to have them as a b*c*n sarnie. Funnily enough I never liked b*c*n so am unlikely to be pining for a b*c*n sarnie unlike a lot of veggies. Apparently this is usually their downfall. I also used to like them with salad - anything to perk it up!
Old 04-07-2004, 08:39 PM   #10  
Movin' to the Country!

We love the MSF's chik patties, especially the parmesan ranch. Also, the MSF's corn dogs are indistinguishable from the real thing. Even my dh loves them! A personal favorite of mine is mung bean sprouts marinated in a little soy sauce, sesame oil and toasted sesame seed with some chopped green onions mixed in. Yummy!!! You can get these at Korean restaurants as a side item also. Another Korean dish that is great tasting and good for you is Kim Chee. It is great with white rice and nori (seaweed) sheets. My kids love dehydrated bananas and strawberries as their "snack food." We do all our own dehydrating to ensure that the food is not dehydrated at temps that will kill the enzymes. Just a few of our favorite things!
Old 07-09-2004, 10:13 PM   #11  

Try Ethnic markets...Southeast Asian and Indian are my favorite ...both have huge selections of veggie friendly foods....I have found all I have to do is pick something up and say "what do I do with this" and I leave with amazing recipes!!! I did not know you could slice these tiny golf ball eggplants and use them like a cracker with a good spread on top...
Old 07-09-2004, 10:16 PM   #12  

Default Chinese broccoli!!

It is so good for you I wanted to scream!!! not to mention the wonderful taste and texture!!! I am not a fan of brocolli and my husband loves it...when I tried my first bite of chinese broccoli I knew we had found common ground!...this is to die for when steamed or stir fried with firm tofu and topped with oyster sauce...if you allow oyster flavor in your diet (I am a pesca veg and eat fish) ..if not hoison is a good substitute!!!

Last edited by KidzRN; 07-09-2004 at 10:18 PM. Reason: forgot to dot my "i's"
Old 07-19-2004, 11:10 PM   #13  

you know candy, there are a LOT of kind of kimchee! my grandma makes like 4 different kinds! we often give it to other people. there are cucumber kimchee, water kimchee, and a whole bunch! haha i love it with dried seaweed and rice too. haha except i dont eat it with rice anymore. i eat it with meat
Old 08-05-2004, 03:49 PM   #14  
Searching

Lean Cuisines New Deep Dish Spinach and Mushroom Pizza, at a mere 310 calories, its absolutely heavenly! I also like their Sante Fe Red Beans and Rice. Zatarans, and Uncle Ben's quick throw in the microwave rices are good. Watch out for dextrose though.

Chris
Old 11-27-2004, 11:52 PM   #15  

I just tried the gardenburger "ribblets" and they are so good. The BBQ sause is excellent. Also, I really dig the morningstar farms "sausage patties" - both are v. reasonable calorically and fat-gramically speaking!
Closed Thread