South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 01-13-2004, 02:07 AM   #1  

Height: 5' 8"

Default I thought we could have real butter?

I know this is easy, but I am already starting to confuse myself. I thought real butter was good? Or at least better than margarines, trans fat, etc...

I bought low fat colby jack cheese, which I thought was okay because lowfat cheese was listed in the Phase 1 foods list. Well, I bought that little carbs book by dr. A and colby and jack cheese are not recommended. Neither is butter.

Does anyone know why? I checked the carbs on my cheese and they are, I think 5 grams.

Should I really be watching my carbs? Or...should I try to lose weight without freaking out on all the numbers and then if I hit a plateau, pay more attention to carbs? I did not notice anywhere in the book where it ever mentioned counting carbs, then again I only read up to starting Phase 1.

To confuse me more!!!! My friend is on Atkins and says I should not be eating anything FF and that I can have butter and if SBD says no, then I should switch to Atkins. Uh, don't think so....keep in mind, she hates fruits and veggies so Atkins is right up her alley.

Any insight would be appreciated
Old 01-13-2004, 06:30 AM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Butter is definitely NOT on SBD, either Phase I or II. That's because it contains saturated fat which we are trying to cut back. Margarine has trans fatty acids except for some of the hearth-healthy ones like Smart Balance, Becel and I Can't Believe It's Not Butter.

As to the cheeses, IMHO all low fat or reduced fat cheeses are acceptable. I am sure Colby and jack are OK. There are just too many cheeses to include all of them on the list. (They are much like cheddar.)

Don't let your friend shove you off The Beach - what works for her is not what may work for you. The beauty of this plan is that we don't have to obsess with carb counting - just focus on good fats and good carbs. If you hit a plateau, then you may want to run your day's food through www.fitday.com to see if something is out of kilter.

Stick with it! You are doing fine!
Old 01-13-2004, 07:26 AM   #3  
Ready to Change

S/C/G: 170/160/125

Height: 5 ft

Ruth I have been using fitday for the last week or so. Do you know what we are suspossed to put in for % for carbs,fats,protien?
Old 01-13-2004, 07:30 AM   #4  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Little Chick - there is no standard. Everyone can set their own limits. I try to stay 20-30 fats, 60-80 protein and 100 to 150 carbs. I never worried about the percentages. Dr A. does NOT set specific limits - just eat until satisfied.
I may split this off as it really is not about butter.
Old 01-13-2004, 07:35 AM   #5  
Ready to Change

S/C/G: 170/160/125

Height: 5 ft

Thanks Ruth, atleast I can put in some % I seem to over or under everyday.
Closed Thread