Exercise! - Running/Jogging

View Full Version : Running/Jogging

StarPrincess
11-11-2003, 04:00 PM
I've recently developed a strange desire to start running/jogging. I'm not in the best of shape and can currently only go about 1/4 of a mile without killing myself.

I did some research and found the following article about getting to the point where I can run 3 miles in 9 weeks.

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

Does this look like a reasonable and safe plan?

Thanks for the help!

dish
11-12-2003, 10:08 AM
What I have been doing is walking the hills in my neighborhood and when it is flat I walk very fast. Start out slow do walk for 1 min sprint for 2min until you build yourself up. Running is an awesome way to loose.

stef
11-12-2003, 06:05 PM
Ah! The Josh Clark stuff. Somehow I had lost that web link, thanks for the reminder.

In my professional life (I am a Healthy Living Worker for a community project) I have used this site as an example of goal setting. A lot of sedentary overweight/obese people have ended up using it as the basis for their own physical activity sessions.

In my personal life I have listened to my clients and what I have done is used each week twice. So I did week 1 for 2 weeks, week 2 for 2 weeks and I think it was week 3 or 4 that I stayed with for about 3 weeks - well it did hurt a bit more than I was willing to admit :o

Most of my clients held to the times religiously for about 10 minutes :D but all of them (including me) found it a useful tool for self setting goals and developing a progressive schedule.

See how you feel after the first run and then either modify what is written or come back and ask more questions. There are a lot of people here who have tried such stuff, so you are bound to get a lot of info.

As for me, well, I talk a good fight (it is my job after all) but I don't walk, or in this case jog, such a good fight! So I can sympathise if you try it out and it hurts! :stars: :yikes:

StarPrincess
11-12-2003, 06:26 PM
Thank you for the input! I'll let you know how I do :)

LeanneM83
11-12-2003, 09:21 PM
I began running 2 weeks after the birth of my son.....I was over 200 pounds and it HURT.......but, I stuck with it........at first I struggled to run 1km....I pushed myself to run futher and for longer each time, next thing I knew I was running 4, 4.5, 5km..and as a surprise to myself one day I just ran until I couldnt run anymore, and it turned out to be 7km...whenever I have has weight to lose I ran...it always works for me.....and now I actually enjoy running.....I am presently training for a 10km run next year, and I was NEVER a runner, so I know if I can do it, ANYONE can...just give it a try!
Good Luck
Leanne
SW215
CW 168
GW 150 or LESS

scoob
01-09-2004, 04:17 PM
Hello StarPrincess
As someone who used to run 30 miles a week (I have since completely fallen off the wagon), I would suggest that you mix walking and running. Every couple of days just go a little further with the running. Soon you'll be able to run like Forest Gump.
I'm trying to lose weight by cutting calories. I know I should be exercising. Last month I was running a 10 minute mile which is pretty good but the busy Christmas season came along and here I remain on my butt. I guess I checked out this site so I could spur myself on to get back into the grove. Oh, buy a Treadmill!