Closed Thread

Old 11-03-2003, 10:23 PM   #1  
Member Florida Chick

Default Way Over 40 # 68

Hi Everyone: We were getting pretty long again. We had a busy weekend, with meetings at church, and then our small group here at our home. We had dinner together this time.

Barb: I'm Jealous. I liked Flagstaff, and I could stand to see the Grand Canyon as many times as I could. What a magnificent place. I think it changes everytime you see it, colors, and shadows, etc. But I could never ride the mules to the canyon floor.

Siwa: Hopefully you'll be back to a normal schedule, before you have to have your surgery. Sounds like you really had a wonderful trip.

Kate: I suppose by now your DS and girlfriend have left, and you are getting back to normal. Glad you didn't get a sty. They are so awful, and so uncomfortable. Our Christmas music is coming along fine. We have a neat song this year called the 'Christmas Boogie'. The group is learning that one before some of the others, because they like it so well.

Alice: How is the fake tears working?Hope that you are not having dry eyes anymore. Any snow up your way?

One thing about living here, we don't have to buy Halloween candy, since we have no trick or treaters. No kids at all. So no temptations from that score, but Thanksgiving is soon to be here and that is a whole different story.

Candice: Hope you'll get some dryer weather, to help with the Fibro. I know that you will always have a soft spot in your heart for your dog, but also you know that you made the very best decision for her and for you.

Hope to 'see' you all tomorrow. Going to have a nice massage in the a.m. Ann
Old 11-04-2003, 03:38 PM   #2  
Citizen of the World

We had SNOW!!! yesterday. only about and inch or so but still.........Better the snow than 104 degrees and walking around in the sun so I won't complain too much. Foot surgery on Friday and on Sunday I got an urinary tract infect so I'm on antibiotics for that. It may compromise my ability to have the surgery. Shud find out today as the pre op physician and surgeon will be talking it over. I had this planned so well and now may have to wait.

The good news was my weigh in yesterday. I only gained 1/2#! I can't believe how well I do when away from that darn refrigerator and cupboard. Always knew that my biggest problem is keeping busy enuf to stay out of the kitchen. Problem is, much of my work is in the kitchen.

DH says now that he wants to return to Egypt for the wedding. That is my new motivation for losing more wt. I've seen the fancy gowns the guests wear to weddings there and I want to look fabulous in a glittery gown too so I must lose some more. Just 6 months to go.

ANN--I've also been afraid to ride the horese/mules at the canyon but in my younger days we did kike to the bottom w/backpacks and camp there. the walk back up took 8 hrs vs the walk down taking only 4 hrs. it is beautiful tho.
Old 11-04-2003, 07:39 PM   #3  

The kids have gone. They finally got off late yesterday afternoon after a delay in their flight. Chicago was having bad weather and then they cancelled the flight to Col. Springs so they had to go to Denver instead. Luckily they could get someone to pick them up that late. It's quiet without them. It was hectic while they were here between cooking and trying to do lots of things. We had a conference day at work today so I got to ease back into everything slowly.

Ann: Lucky you....no Halloween candy to entice you. We only had 9 kids and 3 bags of candy so there is still some lurking in the cupboard. I ate my share though and am trying to stay away from what's left.

Candice: It's a natural thing to be having a hard time. The loss is too new yet. Give yourself some time. Have you found all your Christmas gifts? You'll be all wrapped and ready and the rest of us will still be shopping...at least I will.

Siwa: If you ever decide to go to Niagara Falls, you'll have to let me know because maybe we could get together. It's not that far from me. Oh, the "s" word we haven't had any that has accumulated yet. The wedding in Egypt will be a good incentive to keep you losing. How has your DH been doing? Hope that your surgery won't have to be postponed.

Barb: We went through Flagstaff and the Grand Canyon a few years ago. I was content to look at it from the ground above. DH and DS went for a helicopter ride over it. Sad to say, I'm not much of an adventurer. Hope that you're having a good time.

Alice: Cold and damp here today. The leaves have really fallen. I'm ready to get back to Dr. Phil. I've been eating so much and feel so uncomfortable. Haven't even gotten to Curves in a week. How are you doing?

Take care all.

Kate
Old 11-04-2003, 11:21 PM   #4  
Citizen of the World

Good news! the surgery is on for Friday. Wait a minute. Since when is surgery GOOD news?? Well, you know what I mean. We voted today for mayor, council members, school board and a school referendum. The current mayor lives just around the corner and is runnng nearly unopposed. I say nearly cuz the guy running against him is running just because he discovered the incumbent was running unopposed. Not a very exciting election this year. Can't say I really care who wins any post. I'm apolitical all the time but sometimes I do care who wins.

KATE--I will certainly let you know if/when we decide to visit Niagra Falls. DS is doing wonderfully, thanks for asking. He's changed his life 100% and is sticking to it religiously. Only wish I could be so strict w/myself regarding food issues.
Old 11-05-2003, 03:10 AM   #5  

Thanks for your kind and encourageing words gals, I really needed to hear that right now. I keep thinking there was another choice even though I know there was not.

My eating has been good for the past few days, eating peanuts and raisins instead of any "junk" but staying within pts.

Cleaning yesterday really made me hurt but I'm better today, just had to rest. So damp and cold here, not looking forward to winter at all and I'm sure not going to see Siwa and her snow

Haven't dug any Christmas gifts out yet but am working on my cards. I realy want to start baking now too...ut ooooooooooo

Last edited by Candicej; 11-05-2003 at 03:13 AM.
Old 11-05-2003, 07:25 AM   #6  

Angry Hi!

We've had a lot of rain since Sat. so that the ground is saturated. We had unseasonably mild temps, but it's gotten a lot colder and the temps for the rest of the week don't look very promising. After it stopped raining yesterday afternoon DH & I went out and put some stakes in the ground at the edge of some driveways on our street so DH & our neighbor will know where the culverts are when they start plowing. It was very raw out and my hands got so cold they actually hurt. I had work gloves on and there is no warmth to them.

Barb, hope you're having a good time in Arizona. We flew over the Grand Canyon when DH & I went to Hawaii for my 50th b'day. Can't believe that it was 5 hrs. ago!

Siwa, glad that your surgery wasn't postponed. Surgery is something you'd like to have over with. That's good news about you only gaining 1/2 lb. Hope you're feeling better. Has the snow stuck around or has it melted?

Ann, the fake tears is working great! My eyes don't feel scratchy like they used to. We never have kids on Halloween so I don't have to buy any candy either. A friend of mine, who usually has a lot of kids come to her door on Halloween, told me that the only kids who came were her grandchildren.

Kate, glad you had a good time with your DS and his girlfriend. I hate that when flights are cancelled it turns things into a nightmare. That's good they were able to get someone to pick them up late. We're having the same weather as you. I haven't picked up Dr. Phil yet. I know the book is not going to do me any good sitting on a table.

Candice, it's good you've started on your Christmas cards already. I usually wait until the last minute before writing mine out. Some of our stores are having fantastic sales that I'm taking full advantage of, so some of my shopping is done too.

Hope you all have a good day.
Alice

Last edited by aleka; 11-05-2003 at 07:28 AM.
Old 11-05-2003, 10:54 PM   #7  
Member Florida Chick

Hi everyone: So glad that I don't have to deal with snow anymore. And that raw weather. I have turned into a real hot house flower. :

Siwa: Glad for your sake that your surgery will go as planned. It would ba a big disappointment, when you have made all your plans. Will be thinking about you on Friday.

Kate: Canceled flights can be a hassle or sometimes a blessing in disguise. But people just get so 'testy' when they have to hang around airports.

Candice: You are so organized, Christmas cards,and presents. I can't ever seem to do cards until after Thanksgiving. And presents - I don't wait until the 23rd but I am never one of those who seems to get things done early. It is much easier, now that we just send gift cards to the grandkids, since as teens you never know what their tastes are. Do you plan to send us all some of your yummy cookies? Then you won't be tempted to eat too many. :

Alice: Glad that your eyes are feeling better. Cold raw rainy weather is miserable, but gues it is better than snow.

Barb: HOpe you are having a great time at your convention.

See you all tomorrow, I hope. This weekend will be a busy one as we have our Fall Festival in our clubhouse, crafts,and games and breakfast, bake sale and lunch. A busy day. Ann
Old 11-06-2003, 06:29 AM   #8  

Siwa, just wanted to pop in to wish you good luck with your surgery tomorrow. After it's all over with, relax and enjoy being waited on. I will be thinking of you.

Have a good day everyone!
Alice
Old 11-06-2003, 09:02 AM   #9  
Citizen of the World

Oh my gosh!!!!! It is 15 degrees this a.m. Yikes, it's only November not January. What's going on? I still have yard work to do today--digging up some dahlias and elephant ears and lots of cutting. The cutting can wailt til spring but I like to do it in the fall cuz one can't always count on having nice days in the spring.

Today is DS birthday. We celebrated yesterday by going for an afternoon movie (Runaway Jury) and then a late dinner at a Japanese tepanyaki type restaurant. We had to split it cuz DS had training for a new job. He has gone from NOT working for 5 months to now having 2 part time jobs. Is it cuz he's growing up (22 today) or is it just a fluke? I'm going with the fluke theory until proven otherwise. He has even accepted a job in which he starts at 7 a.m. and he's definitely NOT a morning person. He likes to stay up til 3-5 a.m. I'm not complaining by any means, I'm just trying to understand. His 1st part time job is at Dairy Queen and the 2nd is Toys R Us. The Toys job is seasonal so it won't last long--perhaps thru January--but still....... Who can understand kids (young adult, included)

Thanks for all your well wishes on my surgery tomorrow.
Old 11-06-2003, 07:37 PM   #10  

Hi all,
I'm looking forward to the weekend and maybe relaxing a little bit. I might even try to talk DH into going to a movie. I went to an AARP driving class two nights this week from 6 to 10. Those were long days, but the insurance break made it worth it.

Siwa: I'm glad that your surgery didn't get postponed. I'll be thinking about you Friday. I'm sure you'll be glad to have it over. Let your family wait on you for a few days. You made me remember with your garden talk that I bought some bulbs that I never put in. I'll have to search for them. Your DS sounds like mine...a real night owl. Mine has a job interview tomorrow. They do amaze us sometimes when they're so ambitious. I'd like to inject my DH (and me!) with a little of your husband's motivation. That's great that he has been able to change his lifestyle and stick with it.

Ann: Your fall festival sounds like a busy time. I think you need some of our "crisp" weather to go with it There's a possibility of snow here this weekend. Are you still following SB? Going to Curves? I haven't been in over a week and expect it will take a bit to get going again. I feel so stiff.

Alice: Glad that your eyes are feeling better. What's happened with your cottage? I heard about a good book today. Did you ever read Tuesdays with Morrie? The author's first name is Mitch, but the last name escapes me. Anyway, he just came out with a new book. Something about five people you'd like to dine with in the hereafter. My friend said she cried so much while reading it. I've really been missing my reading time. I'm off on Tuesday so maybe I'll spend the day in bed reading

Candice: You are so organized! I try to do my Christmas cards right after Thanksgiving. It's gotten to be a little bit of a chore. My handwriting is getting so bad that I hate to look at it and I usually write notes in the out of town cards. I'd love to be able to type everything out. No cookie baking til December You're getting way too far ahead of us Will your DS get home for the holidays?

Barb: Wondering if you're heading back home. Hope you've enjoyed your trip and that you won big in Las Vegas. I'd like to know someone that did that!

Tomorrow night is grocery shopping night.....I plan to get lots of healthy things to eat.

Kate
Old 11-06-2003, 09:40 PM   #11  
Member Florida Chick

Just a quick hello. By now i'm sure that Siwa is hurting abit, maybe alot.
Kate: I go to Curves 3x a week usually M.W.F. And we are still on Phase 2 of SB. My DH is doing better than me. But I just think what I would be if I wasn't doing any sort of program. I just intend to stay healthy.

Got all my t-shirts painted for the sale. My quilled cards done, and now I just hope I sell some. Tomorrow is set-up day, and I promised some sugar-free apple pies for the bake-sale so tomorrow will be another busy one. Once Sat. is over I think I can breath for a while. I'll check back to read now and again. Ann
Old 11-06-2003, 10:21 PM   #12  
Citizen of the World

Not yet, Ann, but tomorrow will not be my best day ever. I'm planning on being home by 1:30 and feeling well enuf to eat dinner.

I was able to do lots in the garden today. I brought all the water plants in and washed them. I cut down all dead plants and pulled out the tomato plants. Now it's up to DH to bag everything. I even found lots of parsley and some mint too so I brought those in. I was really surprised that I got so much done today. I'll be able to sleep tomorrow for sure so I knocked myself out today. I finally feel like I'm back to my daily routine, just in time to upset it again tomorrow. It takes me so long to get back in the groove after a vacation.

I'm a bit concerned about not being able to exercise for quite a while. It will make losing wt even harder but I'm still going to try. I hate to think that I will have to eat even less than the little I'm eating now. It will be worth it to have a beautiful foot tho.

Talk to you all in a few days. I plan to use the lap top when I'm feeling up to it. The main puter is on the lower level and I plan to take up residence in the kitchen for a few days.
Old 11-07-2003, 09:48 AM   #13  

Angry TGIF!

Ann, your fall festival sounds like a lot of fun. Good luck with selling your T shirts and cards. It sounds like you will be having a very busy day. Let us know how your day went.

Kate, I have seen that book about the five people who you want to dine with in heaven in the USA Today best seller list. It looked interesting. No, I haven't read Tuesdays with Maurie. About the cottage. I can't remember what I've posted and what I haven't, so please bear with me if I'm repeating myself. We do have a buyer that has put down 2 hefty deposits, and hopefully we will pass papers on Dec. 31st. We have to have the lot surveyed, as the buyers need to know where the boundaries are so they have an idea what they can and cannot do re: a new septic system, and if/where they can dig a well. The surveyor told us he couldn't do it until the end of Nov. We talked to him recently and he knows the situation we're in, so he said he would try to get to it next week. But, he is far behind because of all the rain we've been having. Thanks for asking. Keep your fingers crossed that we don't have any measurable snow!

Barb, hope you won a lot of money in Las Vegas.

Hi Candice..Siwa

Have a great weekend everyone.
Alice

Last edited by aleka; 11-07-2003 at 09:51 AM.
Old 11-08-2003, 04:01 AM   #14  

Lizzie..apple pies..yummmm!

Siwa..hope you did not over do before your surgery..they say you should go into any surgery well rested! My cat nip and purple cone flower are blooming again!!!!!!!! this crazy weather, now it is freezing!

Katey...How did you do with getting healthy things to eat?

Alice...Good idea about the stakes and I hope your hands have warmed up Mine are cold just sitting here typing..gotta go make some Hot choc to warm me up!

Made this tonight and it is excellent and you do not have to worry about leftovers tempting you

adapted from Cooking Light Aug 1997
Cobbler for two
quick and easy to put together!

1/4 c all purpose flour
1/4 c sugar (I used splenda and it was great)
1/2 tsp baking powder (not soda)
dash of salt
1/4 c skim milk
4 tsp reduced calorie stick margarine melted (used brummel&brown in a
tub and it worked great)
cooking spray
1 c fresh berries (blue/raspberry/blackberry) (I used frozen) or other fruit (peaches
are divine)
my addition: dash or two of your favorite spice (nutmeg or ginger are
nice)

1. preheat oven to 375 degrees
2. Combine first 4 ingredients in a small bowl; stir well. Add milk and
maragrine stirring just until the flour mixture is moist. Divide batter
evenly between 2 (10 oz) custard cups coated with cooking spray. Top
each with 1/2 c fruit.
3. Bake at 375 degrees for 35 minutes or until lightly browned and fruit
topping is bubbly.

Yield: 1 - 2 servings

with splenda - 4.5 points for entire recipe ( fiestaware cereal bowl
works ) or
4.25 points for 1/2 recipe made with sugar.

Last edited by Candicej; 11-08-2003 at 04:04 AM.
Old 11-08-2003, 09:42 PM   #15  
Member Florida Chick

Hi: Well the Festival is over, and I'm pooped. Did quite well with my cards and shirts. I think the whole affair was a success. My thinking is we probably cleared about $1000. Not Bad. Our Social club treasury can use it.

Will check in tomorrow. This is going to be an early night. Ann
Closed Thread