Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Closed Thread

Old 10-11-2003, 03:15 PM   #1  

Angry Four Days Post Op!!!

Hey I am back!! I had my surgery on Wednesday. I was discharged yesterday and weeelll I made it
I am so glad that it it is over. I couldn't stand my catheter or my IV. The cath kept backing up on me so I had a really bad ache in my bladder from it not emptying.
I have to say that that the nurses were great though. I had one nurse who really looked after me during the day and she was so kind.
For now my problem seems to be gas gas gas. Oh and sweating, I can't stop sweating. My doctor told me I 'd have more gas and flatulance post op, oh great just what I need. But when did this subside for you?
Another thing is that my family dosen't seem to understand that I don't feel really well yet and don't want to cook for them and my own meal as well. Everytime we sit down they look at my plate they all say YUCK And they just eat everything right in front of me Chips, cookies, soda...you name it!
Okay I will stop venting for now If anyone can share when they felt better or has any suggestions let me know!
Thanks
Old 10-11-2003, 06:31 PM   #2  

Glad everything is going good. So how is your pain?

Did you have an open RNY or LAP? Did you have that tube in your nose?

I know tons of questions, I go in for my surgery the 21st and I'm excited
Old 10-11-2003, 09:49 PM   #3  

Well I'm glad your out and everything seemed to go ok. I hope your family starts being better to you!!

Glad your operation went well!!
Old 10-11-2003, 10:33 PM   #4  

Thanks for your responses I had a laproscopic RNY. I was suprised when I woke and there wasn't an NG tube coming out of my nose. Not disappointed mind you. I could barely deal with the tubing that I did have. The anestheseologist said that they had a hard time intubating me. He made it a point to come to my room to see me twice and tell me this twice
I just have the worst stomache ache right now. It seems like everything that I have eaten for the past hasn't agreed with me.
They fed me at the hospital breakfast (cream wheat, pureed fruit cocktail and pureed scrambled eggs) Lunch (yogurt, pureed pasta and pureed peaches) Dinner I made myself (chicken and noodles pureed, cottage cheese pureed and fruit cocktail pureed).
I had pureed scrambled eggs for breakfast and pureed peaches.
In between I have been drinking water, had a glass of V-8 juice and two sugar free popsicles.
My stomache is just so upset and all of this seems to go right through me if you get my dirft. I feel yucky.
I definetely didn't get in enough protein today or water.
Maybe it is my pain meds that are making me feel so bloated and crampy???
If anyone has been through this I would welcome your advice.
Thanks!
Old 10-11-2003, 11:08 PM   #5  
Old Cackler

TOO MANY CARBS. TOO MANY CARBS. TOO MANY CARBS. TOO MANY CARBS. you are probably suffering from dumping.

no fruit. no pasta. no cream of wheat., at your stage, most of us were on clear liquids and protein shakes!!!!!!
Old 10-12-2003, 01:49 PM   #6  

Jifffy,
The program that I am on doesn't allow protein shakes. They believe in using regular food in a "liquidy" consistancy or pureed for the first two weeks. When you mentioned "clear" liquids what are these supposed to be. Like broth? They told this was a liquid and shouldn't be consumed as a food?
AUGH!! I am so confused.
I had a small amount of cream of wheat and applesauce for breakfast~ so far my stomach is just gurggling away. I am pains in my upper chest/collarbone area I think that they are going to be getting a call from me
Thank you for your help. I just keep thinking well there is no turning back, if I could only make it through this difficult time
Old 10-12-2003, 03:53 PM   #7  

You are learning the hard way. Get off of all of that food and give your insides a chance to heal.. Cleal broth and sugarfree popcycles and sugar free jello at least for the first 2 week. then all of that gurgling should stop. grammy I am 6 weeks post op and had a hard time with alot of things. Ps Drink you water 64 oz every day at least Listen to Jiff she know LOTS.
Old 10-12-2003, 05:05 PM   #8  

Hey Kathy! Glad you are home and that surgery went well!!!

but good golly ms molly they are rushing you in the food department. I was pushed to eat solids faster than any one else I had heard of, but yours is waaaaaaaaaaaay faster than me.

At your point I was onto full liquids, like protein drinks and cream soups and cottage cheese and soft cheeses and the little tiny soft meatballs from progresso chickerino soup, wendy's chili.

I know and reccomend that you follow doctors orders, but if you are having trouble and it seems that you are, maybe you should listen to us instead!

I'd get rid of the fruit and juice (too much sugar and why fill yourself up on those when you NEED the protein?) and pasta.

Did they give you protein goals to meet each day?

hang in there Kathy!
peach
Old 10-12-2003, 05:21 PM   #9  

Thanks Guys
I appreciate the advice. One thing that I do know is that every program for post op is a little different. I can see that this program may not be working for me. Geez getting sick from Cream of Wheat??? Okay we have a problem here!!!
The goal is to get 60 grams?? of protein a day. How can I do this when I can't even tolerate 90 % of what I am supposed to eat?
I have had constant diaherra (sp?) since the surgery it is almost like I have the flu
Well thank you for your suggestions. I almost forgot that I made two flavors of SF jello the day I got out of the hospital I am going to have a little of that and see how it goes.
Peach Pit....hhhmmm chickerino soup that sounds tasty, I will have to check that out
Old 10-12-2003, 05:57 PM   #10  

sweetie, I know your doctor told you not to use the protein drinks, but since you can't get 60 grams in by food alone at this stage, consider trying them?

My doctor told me in the beginning to drink them between meals, when I got hungry, and not as a meal replacement. Well, at that point I NEVER did get hungry. I told the nurse practiioner that I was having problems getting the protein in and she said to have the drinks as meals. I told her what the big doc said and she said, "what does he know? We are trying to keep you alive!"

food for thought

(so to speak)

peach
Old 10-12-2003, 08:35 PM   #11  

kathy t

i feel like everybody else too much too soon
i am just curious how much are they expecting you to eat
after 3 weeks post op i can get down maybe 1/4 up to 1/2 half cup of like grits or cream of wheat or soups etc
i hurt alot in my upper chest like you collar bone area dr explain it is a natural reaction for your chest to protect your lungs so b/c of truma that is why breathing exercise is so impt once i was able to exhale 1500 and up it did not hurt anymore
glad to see everything went well and tell your family to take it easy on you after all that is why
GOD made fast food chains for when moms can't be in kitchen lol
hoping you are feeling better soon
later bevmel
Old 10-12-2003, 08:53 PM   #12  

Kathy I am glad you are home and all went well in the hospital. My sister is 5 weeks post op and she had the diahrea problem as well. Her dr also doesnt push protien but i have been after her to get more protein and less carbs. The only thing she could tolerate well in the first week was sugar free fudsiclesor popsicles and tomato soup with american cheese melted in it. She also liked jiffs recipe she posted a while back for protein eggnog.
Old 10-12-2003, 11:57 PM   #13  
Old Cackler

kathy.. the clue is in your response: constant diarrhea, bloated and crampy, upset stomach. it's dumping syndrome. too many carbs, not enough protein.

it's really hard for us to contradict what other docs say, but peachie and i went through a program that has pretty close to the best results of anyone in the country. many other docs are jumping on the bandwagon and are not prepared to handle the aftercare. and they're leaving it in the hands of dieticians who have absolutely no idea what they're getting into. and it's dangerous. the potential for real harm is there.

don't want to scare you. but if you're not doing well on what they want you to eat, there's something wrong here.
Old 10-13-2003, 10:20 PM   #14  

Thanks you guys for all the support, I really apprecaite it

Today was a little better. I did drink more water but really didn't get all of my protein in. I spoke to my DR's nurse and she said that I was getting dehydrated that is why I felt so bad. She never did address the issue as to why I was having a hard time digesting the foods that they want me to eat.
I would like to try the protein drinks, is this too soon for me to be consuming them? As far as snacks...they aren't allowed on this program. Yep no snackin at all. Cold turkey. I keep thinking gosh there must be some things I can have for a snack once I am off of phase II.
Let me know what you think. I need to get my protein and H2O to survive.
Thanks for your help!!
Old 10-13-2003, 10:46 PM   #15  
Old Cackler

it is NOT too soon for protein drinks.. it's how we've survived!!! and drink your water!!! Dehydration doesn't make this any easier..
Closed Thread