South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 09-19-2003, 01:54 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 195/166/158

Height: 5'6"

Angry Eating for better health... a change in focus

I have only had my SBD book for just under a week, but I am already beginning to notice that my entire thought process is changing. On page 75 ("Is It Diabetes Yet?") I found a description of my body...

"...excess weight concentrated mainly in a rounded, protruding waistline, often on individuals with the face, arms and legs you'd expect to find on someone thinner."

I have battled high blood pressure since college, and diabetes runs in my family. After reading the book and realizing that I CAN CHANGE how my body acts to some degree, I decided that it was time to start eating for my health (and continuing to exercise, of course!) and that the weight coming off would be a wonderful side effect.

I can't even begin to tell you how much of a difference I have noticed in only a few days. My cravings for sugars and "bad carbs" have really diminished, mostly because I know how eating those things makes me FEEL. In only a few days I have also noticed a difference in my cardio workouts... somehow they seem less strenuous and more beneficial in general. I finish my workouts feeling SPECTACULAR and not quite as exasperated!

I feel like if I can keep up with eating for my health and not only for weight loss, this WOL will be that much easier to stick with forever!

Sorry... I just had to share that with everyone! I even passed up one of my favorites (fried corn chips with salsa) today at lunch!

Last edited by lmaxin; 09-19-2003 at 02:03 PM.
Old 09-19-2003, 02:04 PM   #2  
Fighter

Hooray! I'm so glad to hear it! To be honest, I did not have my health in mind at all when I began this diet, my sole concern was losing weight -- but I'm starting to realize that I really enjoy eating healthier and even working out! I had planned on quitting exercise and dieting once the weight came off, but I feel so good, I don't see any reason to! Anyway, way to go again -- and I've noticed that it takes less and less willpower to pass up stuff like corn chips and rolls as you go on. I'm finally to the point where I don't even want most of that stuff anymore!
Old 09-19-2003, 06:16 PM   #3  

Leslie---good for you! Your outlook is very positive and what I need to surround myself with right now. I'm on day 10 now, have lost 5 pounds and I am happy about that for sure, but other stuff has been going on in life right now, which makes sticking with SBD seem more difficult to me. I haven't strayed off the plan, but when I'm stressed, I want to eat the things that I have found comfort in for so many years! I truly think we can be addicted to certain types of food, just like any other kind of addiction.
Anyway, I'm glad your shared that.
Keep up the good work!
Old 09-19-2003, 09:11 PM   #4  
Enthusiasm is contagious

Imaxin.....

I'm so glad to read your post about making positive life

changes. I've been on SBD for 4 weeks now. Before

beginning this WOE, I was the world's worst snacker!

My most comforting snacks were pretzels, chips, and popcorn!

I thought when I first began, it would really be hard for me

to give these things up for good! But I was amazed to

find that by the end of Phase 1 (the detox period) I didn't even

crave these things.

I lost 7 pounds so far. But I have to say that weighing myself

doesn't take top priority anymore. I realize this is the way I need

to eat (and exercise) for life. It isn't a diet...it's a lifestyle. I'm

feeling better than I have in a long time....and I look better too.

I'm so glad to have found SBD.
Talk later............~Sharon
Old 09-20-2003, 05:26 AM   #5  
Mous

I think the most awesome thing is......when I decided to "allow" some JUNK food in, and eat them, such as chips, popcorn, etc., AFTER I ate it.........it did NOT have the satisfaction that it once did. It was as if the Novelty wore off, the taste was just OK. and I then said..."You know, I really won't be having that again!"

My entire way of thinking has changed...where did the old Lady go??

Lady
Old 09-20-2003, 09:13 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 195/166/158

Height: 5'6"

I have to agree, ladies, about no longer craving what I once considered my comfort foods (bread, rolls, pizza!!!). I had a small bite of my dear hubby's dinner roll when we went out last week, and all I kept thinking was, "This doesn't taste so good. It tastes processed. This is what made me heavy, and it wasn't worth it!". I imagine I will probably go through some temptations in the future, but I hope I can make myself remember how _________ that food made me feel (fill in the ________ with whatever... "heavy", "bloated", "unhealthy"...).

Thanks to everyone here at 3FC and especially you beach beauties for providing so much inspiration and helping me stay on track!!!!!
Closed Thread