Closed Thread

Old 09-12-2003, 10:14 AM   #1  
Turtle Buddy

Default Turtle Club #103

Hi, Turtles,

Here's the fable that started it all:

The Hare and the Tortoise

A hare met a tortoise one day and made fun of him for the slow and clumsy way in which he walked.

The tortoise laughed and said, "I will run a race with you any time that you choose."

"Very well," replied the hare, "we will start at once."

The tortoise immediately set off in his slow and steady way without waiting a moment or looking back. The hare, on the other hand, treated the matter as a joke and decided to take a little nap before starting, for she thought that it would be an easy matter to overtake her rival.

The tortoise plodded on, and meanwhile the hare overslept herself, with the result that she arrived at the winning-post only to see that the tortoise had got in before her.

Moral: Slow and steady wins the race.

This comes from a book handed down from my grandmother to my mother to me. The book is so old it doesn't have a copyright date or an author/editor's credit.

That fable has been the motivation for us turtles for several years. Someone on the ancient WW forum mentioned the fable and I discovered it was very motivational for me. I talked about it in posts and other people said that the tortoise philosophy worked for them, too. So, I started a thread for us turtle types.

We've been reflecting on what the turtle philosophy means as we start our second hundred posts. The turtle philosophy was a difficult one for people to accept. People want the weight off--NOW!! But reality is that it took time to put it on and it will take time to take it off. People want it to be easy to take off the weight. But reality is that it's not easy. You can have a program that's easy to follow, but following it steadily--that's hard. People don't want to exercise much, if at all. But reality is that our bodies were designed to move. So, we're setting realistic goals that take the weight off at a healthy pace. We're setting goals that will keep us moving steadily toward the healthy weight we want to be. And we're just plain moving. We're setting realistic exercise goals that will move our bodies the way they were meant to be moved.

We've also noticed that our turtle philosophy has affected the rest of our lives. I've started writing fiction again. I realize that I can finish a novel, or two, or ten. All I have to do is to set realistic daily goals, work steadily toward achieving them, and they will build up into finished books. Turtle Power at work in my everyday life.

Anyone who wants to join us in steadily moving toward all of our goals is welcome. I've met some wonderful people on this thread. I hope to meet many more. I know the battle with our weight is a difficult one. Having such supportive people come and post regularly keeps it from getting overwhelming. I hope to see many more people join us as we move forward on our journey.

Let's Get Moving!!
Old 09-12-2003, 10:41 AM   #2  
Turtle Buddy

Hi, Turtles,

A short update: I was down about 2.6 pounds this week at Weight Watchers. That's four straight weeks of losses, and this one was in spite of my eating ALL my flex points and activity points last week.

YAY!!! Lauren I'm so happy to see that result. You know, I really think that WW going back to the 123 level of points is a good thing. I always lost more steadily at that level and I think you did, too. I also beleive that eating the maximum points we can while still losing sets us up so we won't be stuck eating 20 points a day to maintain our weight loss. And, of course, the exercise is crucial.

You know, I'm surprised that WW's bottom range is 20 points. The health professionals say that you shouldn't eat less than 1200 calories a day. So, unless a person in that range eats a combination of activity and flex points that adds 4 points per day, a person eating only the target number of 20 is starving herself. 20 points at the 50 cal/point rule of thumb is only 1000 calories per day. Maybe they're assuming that people will eat all of their flex points and at least some of their activity points. But I've read too many posts on the various message boards written by people who eat the minimum possible because they're so desperate to take it off fast. Or, worse, eat below the minimum. So you'd think they wouldn't do their program in a way that suggests that it's OK to eat less than 1200 cal on a regular basis. It's just an observation, but one I was wondering about.

The study you talked about is inspirational because it shows that you can set exercise goals that fit into your life and still get the benefit. That's so cool. It's something that some experts have been saying, but there was no good research to back it up.

Judy, your steady weight loss over the summer is wonderful! Here's a for both of you. YAY!

So, Judy, you're a poet. So, we have another writer fessing up. That's cool. I wish I was a better poet, but I don't write enough of it to become good at it. I'd rather write song lyrics, actually. And they're different from straight poetry because they need a different form so you can put the music to it. I'd love to write music, too, just for fun, but I need a guitar or a keyboard or a better sound card so I can do it with MIDI on the computer.

You know, it sounds like you're embarrassed that you didn't keep losing, you gained weight, and you stopped going. You're afraid that the people in your old meeting think badly of you. Judy, girl, they're just glad you're back and ready to help you keep moving on. Trust me on that. I've joined and rejoined enough times to have experienced that phenomena. People are always glad to see and catch up with the people they know. They've had their share of slips and regains and starting overs, too. They understand. So, go to your next meeting and let them support you. Also, focus on seeing if you can give a good tip to one other person. That can help you to see that you're all in it together. Good luck!!

I'm doing fine. It's been unusually hot here. But I walked anyway. I wanted to have activity points every day this week because I wanted to save my flex points for Saturday. I'll need them since I'm sure we'll have at least two restaurant meals and maybe end up at McD's for breakfast. I love flex points. Under the old system, I'd end up going over because I'd probably need more than 10 banked points. And even if I had the points in the bank, it was over points to use them. I can choose wisely, use my flex points, and be fine. This program sure makes oddball days easier to handle.

Are you moving?
Old 09-12-2003, 03:39 PM   #3  
consistent

S/C/G: 227.8/216.2/210 challenge goal

Height: 5'7"

Hi, little Turtles.

It's so great to read your posts. Lauren, here's a High Five for you...four weeks of weight loss has to be extremely motivating. We are benefitting vicariously! Thanks for showing me it can be done. Lin, you're right, we need fuel to get our work done...starving just doesn't work. At least not for long!

I've been inside all day, it's raining here today...I'm in Texas. I love rain, I think I have the opposite of SAD (is that right?)..I get cranky unless I get overcast or drizzly days every so often. I'm in the wrong state, right?

Anyway, it's my day off, so I used my time well...vacuumed and got on my hands and knees and cleaned the kitchen floor. I confess to being an awful housekeeper, so I'm counting this as half an activity point to encourage this behavior. I had a nap, too, and what's better than a nap on a rainy day?

I'm working on a fiction project. I have 25 years of technical writing experience, and this is tough! Fortunately, fiction was my first love to read and so there are many great teachers on my shelves. And stories in my head! (that sounds like I might need help, not like I might need to write ). Maybe a class would help me know how to move things along a little, OR conversely just keep my bottom in the chair and keep slogging along.

The rain has stopped, so I'm going out for a walk. I have a 16,000 step goal today, and I'm not going to make it unless I get serious about it.

Keep journaling!
Old 09-12-2003, 04:08 PM   #4  
Turtle Buddy

Hey, Turtles,

So, Lauren guessed right! You are a writer, Choosewell. That's so cool!!

I want to recommend a web site-- www.fmwriters.com . It's like 3FC for writers. We do a lot of challenges, classes, and various activities for writers. They're all free. There are people from rank beginners to published authors. It was started by Holly Lisle, a fantasy writer, who wanted to pay forward--thank the published writers who helped her achieve her goals by helping other people achieve theirs. Anyway, I'm mamarose1900 on that site. There are a couple of people I know of who are tech writers working on learning to write fiction. If you get a chance, check us out.

I'm housekeeping-challenged, too, and I count my cleaning blitzes as activity. I work hard when I do clean, so it racks up a couple of points.

I need to go walk, too, now that the afternoon breeze is coming up. It's unusually hot today.

So, we're moving.
Old 09-12-2003, 05:24 PM   #5  
Turtle Extraordinaire

HA, Choosewell -- I KNEW IT!!!
Old 09-12-2003, 06:44 PM   #6  
consistent

Silly turtles!

Before you think you have a Famous Writer in your midst, remember I said "technical writing." That covers a broad (mostly boring) spectrum of work. However, I'm really grateful for my experience, because it will make a good place from which to grow fiction.

I think I'd like to send you all a pm, to introduce myself. I'll send it to Lauren H, Lin S, and Itry...that way you all will know me a little, since I'm the new one here. I hope that's ok?

cw.
Old 09-12-2003, 07:15 PM   #7  
consistent

Lin S, thanks for the link to Holly's site. I am the newest member! It will take me a bit to find my way around, but I'll hope to see you there.

choosewell
Old 09-13-2003, 12:09 AM   #8  
Turtle Buddy

Choosewell, of course it's Ok to PM us.

We didn't think you were necessarily a famous writer, just another wordsmith.

You'll definitely see me on Forward Motion. I'll fess up--I'm a moderator. That means I get a little pawn thingie by my name and I write a lot of posts answering the same questions, since one of my boards is the newcomer's board. See you there and here.

BTW--unless you've changed gender, someone has joined after you. What's your handle on FM (as we abbreviate it)?

Keep moving, people.

Last edited by Lin S; 09-13-2003 at 12:13 AM.
Old 09-13-2003, 07:38 AM   #9  
consistent

Good morning, and thanks for your responses.

Sammie is my little grey cat..the one of the four here that 'likes' me. You know what that translates to in cat talk: seeks me out if she feels like it, otherwise generally tolerates me. So, that's me at FM.

I saw that you are a moderator. That must take up some time and is a generous volunteering. There's alot to see at that site; I am going to explore it more today. Like 3fc, just knowing there are others out there with the same issues is encouraging.

OK. I have to get a walk in this morning, because we are going to Paris today (Paris, Texas) to visit fil and probably will eat at a buffet. I just realized how silly eating fried food in Paris sounds...ugh.

Water! choosewell
Old 09-13-2003, 05:06 PM   #10  
Chick

Height: 5'4"

Hi Turtles,
Looks like we're really on a roll now. Lauren, I am soooooooo glad you lost weight again this week at WW, even after using flexpoints and activity points. I think we're all a little skeptical and I know I need to make that leap of faith that I can lose weight if I follow WW's guidelines. Hooray for you!

I'm having a great week. In half an hour I'm heading to the wedding reception for my cousin. The wedding was beautiful. So far, I've had oatmeal with a little milk and raisins for breakfast. I had a V-8, a salad with one point of blue cheese, no cal dressing and a few almonds. Oh, I also had a piece of light bread with a smear of ff cream cheese. Now I am nice and content---not full but not starving. I should be able to handle the wedding food. If I go into flexpoints, that's okay because that's what they're for.

My dad is visiting, so I'm playing maid service, but gosh he's 85 and I guess I can be generous. You guys are so inspiring. You've got me all revved up with our weight loss/healthy eating styles.

Take care--I've gotta run and get dressed.
Love,
Judy
Old 09-14-2003, 11:41 AM   #11  
Turtle Buddy

Hi, Turtles,

I hope you had a great time in Paris, Choosewell.

Judy, It's great to heard you say you're having a great week.

We didn't manage to look at apartments yesterday, so we're going to have to go back next week or the week after. We had a lot of other things that had to get done. I got my new shoes, finally. They cost more than I'd hoped to pay, but they fit. I have really hard to fit feet.

I picked up a cookbook I'd been wanting for a long time. I ordered it from my son and got a great discount. It's "The French Laundry" by Thomas Keller and it's probably the closest I'll ever come to eating his food. The French Laundry is a restaurant that's almost impossible to get reservations at because it's so popular. You have to get on the phone at a certain time and use your redial until you get an answer. If you haven't gotten through in 45 minutes, you won't get a reservation. And each day's reservations are only for a specific day, so you have to know what day to call to reserve seats for the day you want to go. It sounds awful, but they had to do it because they couldn't get their work done because of answering the phone to tell people they're all booked up. So, they turn off their phone after they've done their bookings for the day. Wild, huh? It's in the Napa Valley and dinner is over $100 each. I

t was great to see my family. We had a fun dinner together. But we'll go to a less expensive restaurant next time. It was a treat and Mom paid for it. I wish we could afford to take the whole gang and pay for them and her, for a change.

I did fine in San Jose as far as my food and activity went. I made good use of the flex points. It helped that I start counting Target points with dinner because that meant I had a lower point dinner then breakfast and lunch on one day. Dinner last night went on the next day's Target points and used them plus 1 flex point. That's a lot, but I estimated the points very generously. I have plenty of flex points left for breakfast and lunch today. I start my week on Sunday night, so I'll be adding next week's flex points tonight.

I also walked my feet off. We spent hours walking. So, I only counted and ate 4 activity points, but I know I did more than that. Anyway, I'm down a pound since last week. It's a pound higher than my lowest weight since I restarted, but I've been retaining water from the unusually hot weather. And it was at least 100º in San Jose yesterday.

Anyway, I'm feeling really good about how I handled things. This week will just be a normal week, except it's PMS, so I expect it will be a couple of weeks before I show much of a loss on the scale. I might even show a gain this week, no matter what I do.

How's it going for the rest of you? Are you moving?

BTW--Curves has shown up in my old SJ neighborhoods. After we move, I need to check it out and see if I can afford to give it a try. It sounds like a great workout and people who have done it seem to really love it.
Old 09-14-2003, 07:51 PM   #12  
consistent

Well! What a great day.

Yesterday's writing practice (morning pages) yielded one way out of a fiction difficulty, and this morning I was up at 3a (this is usually because I'm happy) and wrote it into my story. I have to go read some about writing point-of-view, but I think I can handle it this way, at least temporarily.

I then sacked out til mid morning..almost like I slept in but I got something done...proving that sometimes you can have everything, as long as you only expect brief flashes of such bliss.

Anyway, we went grocery shopping, and my husband is on the turtle band wagon...we parked far away and got in those extra precious steps. Finally, I got in an extra mile by walking home when we went up to the Kroger for my ultra-skim, with hub taking off happily to buy his fried chicken.

And here I am, home again, and 16K steps are within reach on the pedometer. I feel like I have finally started my walking effort again, and it's such a relief.

Have you checked out the Skinny Daily today? It's about slow but sure, and is a spirit lifter. The link for Juju's post today is http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...threadid=31931 .

Lin, I'm starting to think about Curves, too. Does anyone have a ballpark figure for getting started there? I'm sure there are all kinds of packages, like WW, but I see nothing about charges at their website.

I survived the buffet admirably, by the by. I just can't pack it in like I used to, and I was never a buffet kind of chick. It helped to read Judy's post before I left...Judy your plan and preparation for the wedding reception helped. The calm in everyone's posts is helpful to me, quells the oh-my-god-i'm-so-fat-i-have-to-fix-this-now that usually results in self-sabotage and recriminations later.

What a great team!

How's that water? choosewell
Old 09-15-2003, 11:15 AM   #13  
Turtle Extraordinaire

Hi, turtle babes.

Well, after waking up to dark gray skies, the sun has appeared and the clouds have blown away. It's a cool, glorious September day. Just lovely. I'm working from home today -- have to write three articles by the end of the day! It's my own fault for procrastinating so much.

I've done well in terms of staying within my points. I ate a bunch of my flex points a couple of days ago when we went out for Thai food (love that green curry, but I counted the meal at about 20 points!). Aside from that day, I've actually had trouble hitting my target. Weird. And my weight is up, not down. Also weird. No idea when I'll EVER hit those 180s. I'm trying not to think about it.

Walked a long time on Saturday. We got carried away and ended up walking briskly for 1.5 hours. At least 5 miles. So that was good. But I haven't exercised since. Today I plan to walk downtown, though it's only a little over a mile there and back.

Choosie, that's great that you're expanding into fiction, too!

Lin, glad you got those shoes. The cookbook sounds like it's right up your alley.

Judy, how did the wedding reception go?

I need to check out Lin's fiction site as well, though right now it won't be until after December, especially if my third project comes through. I'm not sure why this time of year always ends up being very busy for me work-wise (I'm self employed), but I'm not complaining. We need the money in a big way. DH has to go to yet another conference, which will be another $1500, RIGHT before we're supposed to go to Italy. At least his conference costs are tax deductible.

Hope you're all having a splendid beginning to your week.

Onward and downward,

Lauren
Old 09-15-2003, 12:41 PM   #14  
Turtle Buddy

Hi, Turtles,

Choosewell, I hate it when the fiction answers wake me up at 3 am. I find it hard to sleep past about 7, so I end up really tired the next day. But at least the story has progressed.

You're really moving. 16,000 steps a day. That's impressive. And congrats on the buffet. What I hate about buffets is that I never seem to be able to eat enough to justify the cost. At least in a regular restaurant I can take the extra home. I think that comes from never really having quite enough money, so I always try to get the best value out of the money I do have.

Lauren, that is weird--about having trouble hitting your target. Try eating a little more calorie dense food and you can hit it without forcing yourself to eat an extra snack or second helping that you don't really want. You said you haven't exercised since your long walk on Saturday. Lauren, you only skipped one day and a lot of experts say you should skip one day a week. So, do your walk today and enjoy it.

It's funny that you said you won't be able to check out Forward Motion until after December. That's what you said last year, too. You're always so busy. But, you don't have to commit to anything other than signing up so you can see all of the boards. Log in once in a while, so your membership doesn't go away for inactivity. That's it. Hope to see you there sometime.

You're going to Italy. I so envy you. It's the one place in Europe I really want to visit someday. I want a report about that trip with some pictures. You have my email.

I lost that water I was retaining as soon as the weather cooled off. So, I'm still at a -5 from when I started over. But, it's PMS, so I don't expect to see much of a loss this week. Maybe even a gain. But I'm still eating within my target and activity points. Except for special things, I haven't been using my flex points. But they may be the best thing for that weird day or two right around TOM when I want to eat everything in sight.

I have to do an errand today, so I'll get my walk in. I want to walk a bit further, than pick up my fruit on the way back. How about the rest of you? Are you moving?
Old 09-15-2003, 04:31 PM   #15  
Chick

Height: 5'4"

Thumbs down

DEar Turtles,
Wow! We are impressive. Choosewell, glad you handled the buffet so well and even more glad you've got your walking groove back. Glad my statements about planning for the wedding helped.

Lin,
So glad you've got proper shoes again and that you were able to count your points. You're doing so great with another pound lost!

Lauren,
How about you and I make a pact to stay off the scale between now and our next WW WI? It is truly the most difficult thing for me to do. It is harder than journaling, harder than being honest with myself, even harder than exercising, but if you say you'll do it, I'll do it too. Glad you are counting your points and getting in activity. I'm sure the upgain on the scale had to do with salt more than anything else.

The wedding went fine. The bride was considerate and had grilled veggies as one of the appetizers. I filled a tiny plate and nibbled on them. I had a wine spritzer and 5 appetizers. I figure if each appetizer was 2 points and the wine was 3 and the veggies were about 1-2 because of oil I did fine. Then we had penne ala vodka that was mushy, so I didn't eat it. I also skipped the salad because it was Caesar and already dressed so I figured I didn't need it. The filet mignon was yummy and so were the red boiled potatoes. I estimated how much beef to eat and left the rest. I had wedding cake that was amazingly good--I usually don't eat it. Actually I ate more of it than I wanted, but finally pushed it away and counted the points. I had only had 5 points leading up to the reception, so I figured I ate about 32 points at the wedding--egads--added to the 5 previously comes out to 37. I subtractead my target of 26, deducted the rest from my Flexpoints. Sunday I hit my target on the head. Today I am under target so far and I think I may hit 20 instead of 26. I still have to exercise today and I also have to mow the lawn before it rains, so I've gotta go. I love retirement and I love my new prioritizing of WW!
Love and good vibes,
Judy
Closed Thread